Move over Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like a top notch quality bullet for sure, accuracy and performance wise. I'm not sure if they would perform any better than the Barnes Expanders [all copper]. They look similar and the way they open up is identical. Although many have, I could never get the Barnes all copper bullets to shoot consistently in my Savage. I've shot the Expanders, the Tmz's, the Spitfires, and the Triple Shocks and could never get the consistent accuracy that I'd gotten with jacketed bullets....Barnes Originals, Remington HP, Parkers, and XTP's. I just got some of the new Barnes TEZ's flat base that I"m going to try in my Triumph and Ruger. If they don't work I'm going to stick with jacketed bullets.
Zen

Taken off Lehigh's web site below

The .452 DOA HP MZ is the most advanced muzzleloader bullet ever developed. The bullet delivers exceptional accuracy coupled with the generation of a tremendous wound cavity at velocities from 1,600-2,500 fps

1600 fps is the low end?If that is the case alot of Muzzy's KILLS will have to be at rather short ranges and not a very long range muzzy KILLING Bullet at all.Most Muzzy's with a 250 grain bullet and a average 100 Grain powder charge,is only have a about 1800 Fps at the muzzle.So if 1600fps is the low end for good exspandion seams like would be cutting it mighty close to me.But i will have to wait and see like all the rest.
Barnes TMZ bullets exspands all the way down to 1050 fps i think.Not time for Barnes to move over just yet
The Jury is still out on these Lehighs

cleboje said:
To me the wound channels look like real bad news for deer or elk. :shock:

After the bullet expands, you can clearly see the break-away channels the petals created in the gel.

Kind of like hitting the animal with five bullets at once, instead of just one.

Thats exactly how the bullet works.

I sent David an E-Mail and asked about a higher BC ML bullet design. His response was:

We are working on a project for an extreme long range muzzleloader application. Initial results show promise and we think we can get an even better design. We are probably 4-6 weeks out yet.

We'll see.

"How can you tell if it's a female extraterrestrial?" --- Sixteen Candles

Back