Muzzleloader brake

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a knight 45 cal converted to sml 26'' brux barrel ad looking to having a muzzle brake added on.At 70 years old the old right shoulder needs a little relief.Recommendations and cost please.My younger brother and I are going to try and do a mule deer hunt in Nebraska in Dec.Their season is Dec.1st-Dec. 30th and want to take my Knight.

There's some good brakes available. Have you determined rather you want a radial or tactical? If.... you shoot prone, you really don't want a radial.
Expensive brakes are worth the money. Those selling for $49.99 aren't worth a crap.

I'm bias, I'll admit but, IMO and that of many others shooting HEAVY RECOILING RIFLES, the LR Customs T-Rex brake can't be beat. There's a lot that goes into making a brake that works properly and takes the concussion off the shooter, which some of the businesses pawing them off don't understand. Top quality brakes are expensive but..... WORTH EVERY PENNY.
As said, I'm bias but, you won't regret a T-Rex brake from LR Customs. Long Range Muzzleloaders and Muzzle Brakes (lrcustomsinc.com)

Here's an example of how well a T-Rex brake works. NOTICE....... The rifle used is a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. The charge used is IIRC, 106grs by WEIGHT of BH209 and followed by a 300gr bullet. There is no weight on his sled.

Video - YouTube

Here's another example. A very small framed lady shooting a .50cal BMG and a 600gr bullet!!!!!!

600gr bullet from 50cal BMG - YouTube

I've heard a lot about Harrels muzzle brakes.Are they not any good either?
I've heard ppl say they liked them & had no prob & hear some not so good comments as well. I recently bought one myself - a radial sabot brake. I havent had it to a gunsmith to finish & put it on anything as of yet.

I've heard a lot about Harrels muzzle brakes.Are they not any good either?
I had a Harrell's radial on my BP Xpress and yes, it surely helped. However it will not tame recoil like a T-Rex I currently use. Honestly, you get exactly what you pay for.

Here's an example of why I support and promote LR Customs muzzle brakes. How many manufacturers test their brakes like this?
Notice the direction of the blast concussion, not back towards the shooter.

You do know that all brakes are LOUD???

Recoil Reaper on a 50BMG

Levi 50BMG Recoil Reaper.jpg

450 Bushmaster brake.

Levi 450 brake at night.jpg

Based on the recommendations from MtMonkey & ENCORE50A here, I elected to purchase both of the .50 caliber, MX REX2 muzzle brakes from LR Customs for my Optima V2 pistol that I got in trade from MtMonkey. Levi Reed sells brakes intended both for lead conicals, and sabots. He also made me a range rod for the longer length of the barrel with the brake installed. As well as a knurled muzzle cap in case I want to shoot patched balls without a brake.

I wanted to take advantage of the Optima V2 actions capabilities with heavier bullets than the 240-250 grain pistol bullets that most owner's of these pistols are shooting using sabots.

The recoil with heavier bullets in the V2 pistol, by all accounts is quite uncomfortable to the shooting hand. I took the words of all of the posters here, like Mr. Tom, that said heavier bullets got unpleasant after 10-12 shots. I figured that if I was going to eek out all of the Optima V2 pistols potential, then a brake was going to be a requirement.

Since I was already spending money on the pistol by having Doc White put a laminated Javelina pistol grip forearm, as well as an ambidextrous pistol grip on the weapon, the cost for the two brakes was not unreasonable.

Levi Reed test fired the pistol, before & after brake installation, with the black plastic factory stocks using a 360 grain bullet in a sabot. His description to me over the phone was a reduction in recoil from heavy .44 Magnum, to light .38 Special.

You get what you pay for. LR Customs is first class work. Even though I have not yet laid my hands on my Optima V2 & the 2 brakes, (it's on Doc White's bench still waiting in the queue for my stocks to be started), I am confident that I have spent my money wisely.

Make sure you wear your hearing protection when using a brake !! All it takes is once to have permanent damage. For sure the T-rex is a great brake, I love mine. The Harrell's are a great value but the ports are 90 degrees, not as aggressive as the T-rex and thus has less recoil reduction

Make sure you wear your hearing protection when using a brake !! All it takes is once to have permanent damage. For sure the T-rex is a great brake, I love mine. The Harrell's are a great value but the ports are 90 degrees, not as aggressive as the T-rex and thus has less recoil reduction
The brake in the following video contains a disk which blocks most of the muzzle blast, and piercing sound off of the shooter.
It is a simple idea that could be added to many commercial muzzle brakes.
If you do not believe it works, try it on a 50 BMG.

Remington 700UML Converted to 45 Smokeless: The real "Ultimate" muzzleloader... - YouTube
I watched the video. Thanks for the post. Aesthetically, that looks like it doesn't belong there. I'd never want anything lookin like that on the end of my gun. I can surely respect & appreciate its effectiveness, but I'd freakin hate it every time I looked at it. Thats just me.

I like looking at my flinch locks and shooting them , but give me a better group at greater range with more comfort (less recoil) I don"t give a rip about looks when I"m shooting against center fire shooters or hunting spooky deer at the end of season and I"m hunting for meat ! Give me an advantage that's legal /ethical and I will buy it and use it till I can"t hunt anymore/Ed

The thing that I appreciate about Levi Reed's designs for his muzzle brakes is that they suffer from INTELLIGENT DESIGN. In other words, his brakes effectively move the muzzle blast out of the barrel in such a way that not only does the brake push the muzzle of the barrel downwards, but the blast energy is moving laterally, and or away from the shooter.

Not to the rear towards the shooter as do so many other brakes on the market. Additionally, at least with the MZ REX2 brakes, there is a very slight decible reduction of about 3-4 decibles. That's pretty amazing when you consider that most brakes INCREASE the number of decibles reaching the shooters ears.

I like looking at my flinch locks and shooting them , but give me a better group at greater range with more comfort (less recoil) I don"t give a rip about looks when I"m shooting against center fire shooters or hunting spooky deer at the end of season and I"m hunting for meat ! Give me an advantage that's legal /ethical and I will buy it and use it till I can"t hunt anymore/Ed
That's why both MZ REX2 muzzle brakes are now residing in, or with my Optima V2 pistol. The brakes will allow me to shoot heavy, 350+ grain, lead conicals, or heavy jacketed/solid copper/solid brass bullets in a sabot out of the pistol with very, very tolerable recoil.

Which makes the CVA Optima V2 pistol a solid hunting platform capable of hunting the largest game with proper bullets. And, for the hunter willing to spend the time to practice shooting so as to become competent at ranges out to 125-150 yards, the brakes are going to double the pistol's effective range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the video. Thanks for the post. Aesthetically, that looks like it doesn't belong there. I'd never want anything lookin like that on the end of my gun. I can surely respect & appreciate its effectiveness, but I'd freakin hate it every time I looked at it. Thats just me.

The disk can be removed from my brakes, because it is held on with a setscrew.
That allows my customers to try the brake either with the disk, or without it.
So far, nobody has said they threw the disk in the trashcan.

I went to a bench rest match once upon a time and one of the local favorites took it upon himself to belittle the appearance of my rifle, and I will freely admit his rifle had a much better paint job.
When I won the match a few weeks later, he was much more humble.

I do not build wall-hangers.
My muzzleloaders are designed to shoot a 275 grain Parker BE bullet at about 3,000 fps, with accuracy.

I went to a bench rest match once upon a time and one of the local favorites took it upon himself to belittle the appearance of my rifle, and I will freely admit his rifle had a much better paint job.

My muzzleloaders are designed to shoot a 275 grain Parker BE bullet at about 3,000 fps, with accuracy.
Thank you for the rundown on your brake & guns you build. I hope you didn't take anything I said as " belittling " your brake. My comment & perspective were solely based on my personal preferences regarding aesthetics & nothing else. Thats really smart what you did & how you did it I think. Much respect.

Last edited:

I love the thought of function over looks or history dictates ,resulting quite often on superior performance as long as it is allowed . Better scores or short blood trails are to be encouraged /applauded , hang on to the past but do not bad mouth the future /Ed

Latest posts

Back