My hunting buddy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
From time to time I must pay tribute to my hunting buddy....Robert W. 'Wes' Taylor! In this photo he was 89 years old and still killing bucks with his bow! One of the best archers I've ever known! We pulled many a buck out together.

23946943813_8de8e0c603_b.jpg
R. W. 'Wes' Taylor by Sharps Man, on Flickr

He was a retired Colonel from the USAF serving 26 years. Flew P-51 during WWII, flew F-86 Sabre Jets in Korea and after getting out of the military he flew with me for ten years. One heck of a fellow and the best pilot I've ever known! Photo is of him after a flight in the F-86.

24197092542_3e195513e8_b.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I buried him this past year beside his wife! I miss him greatly! We downed a few scotch together!

I apologize to you guys for boring you tonight but I've been on a nostalgia kick it seems! I guess old men do this at times!

I'm impressed. 89 and still hunting and climbing up trees.

Good for him.

The P-51 is my favorite plane since I was a kid. I fly one now in simulations. As close as I can get to one.

Bear Claw said:
I'm impressed. 89 and still hunting and climbing up trees.

Good for him.

The P-51 is my favorite plane since I was a kid. I fly one now in simulations. As close as I can get to one.
I flew this one on my 70th birthday:

29973090546_325fa02a5c_b.jpg
Flew this dude on my 70th Birthday. by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Mostly I fly these which belong to my son Brandon:

15627984297_f02f61fdb3_b.jpg
SNJ5 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I started an agricultural flying service in 1966 and did quite well and passed it on to my son 16 years ago! Aviation has been good to my family going on 50 years now and grandsons will continue the tradition! Here's one after his solo flight! He's flying the T-6 birds now! This is Britton. His younger brother Connor is in training!

25902608701_f4432f9139_b.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

You lucky dog. I'd give my left nut to fly in one.

That wouldn't be giving up much. Nuts are useless now.

Bear Claw said:
You lucky dog. I'd give my left nut to fly in one.

That wouldn't be giving up much. Nuts are useless now.
" Nuts are useless now."

Gods gift for keeping old men alive!!

At this stage I'd rather have a good elk steak!!

Sharpy, I enjoyed this thread. Good memories and nifty planes... 
A life to be proud of and a fallen friend worth celebrating and 
raising a scotch to.

Great friends should be remembered. Life should be celebrated. 
Seems to me you are doing the right things. 

You just invited us all to reconsider our friends and their value to our lives. 
I saw Wes up that tree and laughed because he reminded me of the guys I 
have run around with since Junior High. 

Yes, I enjoyed this thread. 

PS. Then there is the entertainment of Muley trying to sell his useless left nut... 
Who would even buy such a thing? No, don't tell me. I don't want to know. :evil:

Thank you Sharpsman for sharing the memory of your friend. Brought back some good memories for me. Kentucky Colonel thanks for your wisdom that you shared.

Thanks guys! Every word true! I only fib to my Doc when he asks me how many Buttercups I've had the past week! :Questuon: :Questuon: :Questuon:

Three weeks back he checked me out...said "Your pumps working great......BP 128/78, pulse rate OK.....get the hell outa my office...you're gonna live until you die!" :cheers:

I like the pics. Also, it is honorable on your behalf to share your hunting buddy with us!

Thanks! I don't know who that old fellow is sitting in the P-51 but seems as if I see him every time I shave!! :shock: :roll:

Taylor was one heck of a guy! I will miss him dearly! I visited his gravesite on Vet Day....and will as long as the Good Lord lets me draw air!!

Thanks again!

Maybe a few have heard of my Great Uncle.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/clc.htm

Most I know don't remember Instinctive Shooting. My wife always said she could shoot as well as me but like I told her I was much faster. I always hunted from the ground. Let Deer pass me before I shot, I always liked quartering away shot.

What is funny I smoked heavy back then, many times I would put a Cigarette out just before Deer got by me.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
Maybe a few have heard of my Great Uncle.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/clc.htm

Most I know don't remember Instinctive Shooting. My wife always said she could shoot as well as me but like I told her I was much faster. I always hunted from the ground. Let Deer pass me before I shot, I always liked quartering away shot.

What is funny I smoked heavy back then, many times I would put a Cigarette out just before Deer got by me.

oneshot

I know quite a bit about Claire Chennault! He grew up 50 miles southeast of my home place and I'm 15 miles from the Claire Lee Chennault Museum at Selman Field, Monroe, La. Folks there have really done a great job of honoring him. If you haven't been....drive down and go through it! :Salute: :ttups:

Buddies like that Sharpsman provide a lifetime of great memories.

---------------------------------------------------------------
p.s.  I always wanted to learn to fly a plane.  My father was in the aircraft industry all his life.  After working for Piper Aircraft he ended his career working for Gruman on the F16.

Marty said:
Buddies like that Sharpsman provide a lifetime of great memories.
Happy to have known them, sad that they are gone and we are stuck with some that should have left years ago. Why do the jerks we know live on when the good guys leave before their time?

Bear Claw said:
Some think i'm the butthead, so I don't say anything. ;)
Your not a "butthead" you just tell it the way it is. Some don't like hearing the truth Pete.

Latest posts

Back