My New Breech Loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P1030468.JPG

P1030470.JPG

P1030490.JPG

P1030474.JPG

The scale say the rifle with scope mounted, and loaded with ammo, weighs about the same as my Omega X7, and therein is a reason i was attracted to this rifle. Also, the action of this rifle is the same as the Omega X7.

P1030487.JPG

P1030488.JPG

The load is 0.264 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip, 34g RL 15, CCI large rifle primer. It clocks at 2600 fps. Recoil is far less than the X7.

P1030467.JPG

P1030466.JPG

A beautiful rifle without question. And that's a 30-30? Are those hand loaded bullets? I am guessing they are of course. That is some excellent shooting there. With out question. With that kind of bullet and accuracy you have a heck of a long range rifle there.

Very very interesting. A 264 on a 30-30 case correct? Did you have this built or did you just happen upon it. Has that barrel been sleeved?

cayuga said:
A beautiful rifle without question. And that's a 30-30? Are those hand loaded bullets?...................
The cartridge is a 30-30 brass necked down to .264. Also, the shoulder is moved forward, and made steeper or 'improved'. The targets were shot with hand loads.

Hornet22savage said:
Nice rifle there I always liked the falling block action and want one in .22 Hornet. Winchester used to offer one but I think they dropped it.
This model rifle can be purchased in 22 Hornet.

Well, the rifle and i burned up a pound of RL15 in less than a week. In these times it is impossible for me to purchase more of this powder. It seemed prudent to save the 1/2 pound left, for use during hunting season. This led me to try a different load using Vihtavuori N540 powder i had on hand. It seems to have worked pretty good. The 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip starts out at 2715 fps when pushed by 36g of the N540. The scope elevation dial was adjusted to zero for a 100 yard zero.

The scope has a plain reticle, so for shooting longer ranges, the elevation dial is turned up; seems to work good. It very well may be, i will switch powders for hunting, and not use the RL15 anymore. Soon, after more experiment, i may have Leupold engrave me a custom elevation dial in yards, for this caliber/rifle. For now, the elevation dial is turned up 2 moa for shooting at 200 yard when scope and rifle are zeroed at 100 yard. For shooting 300 yard the dial is twisted up 4 1/2 moa. The other day a milk jug filled with water was smucked at 375 yard with the elevation dial turned up 7 1/2 moa.

P1030494.JPG

Ron,

That is a beautiful rifle! Everytime EA Brown sends me a catalog I always show the wife and tell her I want one. She must not think I am serious as one has not arrived yet. :shock:

That .264 bullet is a fine choice for out on the prairie. I see some long range harvests for you in the future. Thanks for reminding me I still want one :D

:)

That rifle is a beauty. Good luck with it and I hope your careful with it when shooting. It's too nice to scratch. :!: :!: :!:

Ray........ :wink:

Oops, you spoke too late. Already it has dings and scratches. My fault.

It should be well broken in by the end of the doe season in January. Actually, by the middle of October after pronghorn hunting, it will have crawled through many nasty things with me. By Thanksgiving, after deer season, it will have been there and back on my shoulders, and in my hands. Hopefully, once it realizes what it's life is, it will still like me.

Hey Ron,

Whats the deal with the barrel in the pic of the crown, the more silver looking center area? It looks like there is a liner in that tube, or is it just something with the picture that makes it look that way?

Very interesting caliber and looks like it shoots great.

ShawnT said:
Hey Ron,

Whats the deal with the barrel in the pic of the crown, the more silver looking center area? It looks like there is a liner in that tube, or is it just something with the picture that makes it look that way?

Very interesting caliber and looks like it shoots great.

Hey Shawn, there is no liner, what you are looking at, is the crown, which is left white. Here is a quote from the website.

"We feel the crown is so critical to accuracy that we leave it until after the gun is finished... our 11 degree target crowns are cut last and left bright... Our trademark finishing touch."

https://www.eabco.com/

The rifle is light. The rifle is compact. To be as short, a bolt rifle, would need an 18 1/2" barrel; this rifle has a 24" barrel. The rifle is accurate. Myself, i am very much looking forward to carrying this rifle around out on the hot dusty prairie looking for pronghorn, and also in the timber looking for deer, with snow on the ground. The barrel has a target shooter like profile, but the net result is, a light, packable hunting rifle. A fella on Doug's wrote that shooting the rifle, would get boring. Initially i scoffed at such an idea, but now, more, and more, i kinda understand. There doesn't seem much left to do with this rifle, except go hunting with it. Sure, i will shoot some water filled jugs at long, and longer range, but..............that only is so thrilling. Well, i am thankful to be 'bored', instead of fretting over how to get an inaccurate rifle to shoot straight.

Time has come to go fishing, plant the garden, go fishing, weed the garden, weed the garden, go fishing, shoot the 6.5, weed the garden, go fishing, weed the garden, weed the garden, shoot the 6.5, weed the garden, weed the garden, shoot the X7, go fishing, weed the garden, weed the garden, go fishing..............................

Hey Shawn, there is no liner, what you are looking at, is the crown, which is left white. Here is a quote from the website.

"We feel the crown is so critical to accuracy that we leave it until after the gun is finished... our 11 degree target crowns are cut last and left bright... Our trademark finishing touch."

https://www.eabco.com/

OH! I did not read into their build. That makes since now. I thought it would be extremely strange for a custom rifle to use a barrel that had a liner. It adds quite a different and interesting look to the crown. Pretty neat! That really is a great looking rifle.

A few years ago I completed a build that I wanted for a long time and it had deer and pronghorn in mind. It is a little custom Rem model 7 in .250 Ackley Improved. It is shooting 100gn Ballistic Tips from a 22" Shilen barrel @3150fps, using that same R15 powder. :D Now if I can only get a chance to get back out west. :roll:

Wow, that sounds like a real nice rifle and caliber both. Hopefully you will make it out West before too much longer. Wyoming is still over stocked with pronghorn.

Wyoming is still over stocked with pronghorn.

I had not heard that. I was in Montana with at buddy about 3 years ago for Prairie Dogs outside of Malta. Saw antelope Doe every day, but they were always by themselves. We thought that was odd till the rancher said they do that when they were dropping fawns. We also saw several Real Nice big bucks. The rancher said he had not had a tag for years, but he had also seen all the big bucks too and was going to get a tag himself.

I used to read of lot of articles in Varmint Hunter magazine by Steve Timm. His 2 favorite rifles were the .250 AI and the .280 AI. I got hooked on the .250 AI after reading several articles on it. I built a .280 AI for a hunt, but it did not turn out the way I envisioned it. It was too heavy for my liking, but shot great. The hunt never happened and I sold it and built the .250AI. It really shoots great. I hope to get out there in a year or two if at all possible. My buddy has a hankering for an antelope, He lives near Sabotloader but up in Post Falls ID. I always wanted a nice Muley myself, but a speed goat is on the list too. :wink:

Back