My New Breech Loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both them rifles sound cool to me. At one time, to me the .280 was the one caliber that could serve a fella with but one rifle. However, as time went by, and the years piled on, i leaned more and more to the 7-08. It seemed to me that there was no need to use a case with more volume than the 308 case can hold. After the kids left home, i became a many gun house. My favorite elk rifle became the 358 Winchester i kinda had built. It started out as a 308 Ruger Ultralight. The barrel was switched to a 35, and it was chambered for a 358. It had a 19" barrel, and was a perfect elk rifle for the country we hunted. Short, and light, it served me well. When we moved back to South Dakota, i sold it to a fella that hunted out of our camp all those years. This 6.5-30 is the only center fire/breech loader i will take hunting since leaving Montana. It is such a straight shooter, i will only be able to blame myself, come January.

Years ago, i decide a 250 would be a fine hunting rifle for me. Wife gave me a model 99 for my birthday. The company sent me to Arizona, because work was slow in Montana. While in Arizona, the rifle was taken from my truck while we were quail hunting in February. We deduced from tracks in the sand, that it was taken by a trapper living near by, and reported the theft to the Sheriff. The law did nothing, and our son and i decide that we would have to get the rifle back ourselves. After thinking on it, long and hard, we decided to let the trapper have the rifle, because i thought it would be silly to engage in a shoot-out with the trapper over a possession, that could be replaced with money. I couldn't stand the thought that our son could be killed seeking to retrieve that old rifle. It seemed to us, if the Sheriff wasn't up for talking to this man, then perhaps we shouldn't either. That was my one and only 250. Your 250 improved sounds way cool. Funny thing is, i still kinda miss that rifle, but our son is alive, and well.

We never went as far as Malta to hunt Pronghorn. Many times i fueled up in Malta, when heading to Fort Peck for fishing. We passed by many dog towns. We hunted a few times around Big Sandy. We also hunted near Roy, which isn't too far from Malta. We also hunted around Winnett some. Once i hunted antelope near Ekalaka which was a way further away than Malta. My favorite Pronghorn hunting was west of Great Falls right up against the Mountains. It was cool hunting antelope where one wouldn't expect to find them, instead of out on the prairie.

Once we watched an Antelope birth.

Right or wrong, years ago we decided that a good prairie dog rifle had to be some larger than 22 because of wind. Myself, i never much got into shooting them dogs, but our boy wears out rifles shooting at them. He gave me a 40X for my birthday in 6mm, but i never shoot it, because i haven't a spotter. Wife isn't interested at all. The boy, and his pals shoot dogs a way way way out there. They have great fun shooting/killing dogs over 1000 yards out. The boy says his bigger calibers are quicker to adjust for the wind, and he wins most of the time.

Yes, i miss hunting with the boy, but we share tales now and again.

This year, i hope to notch my pronghorn tag using the 6.5-30 somewhere down by Nebraska. Am hoping it isn't too dry. That 250 AI sounds a way way cool.

PO Ackley said that the little .250 had the largest gain from his "Improved" version. Some say that the 250 AI is the ballistic equivalent of the 25-06. Not all that sure on that but it does gain quite a bit in speed. The cool thing about the ackley's is that when chambered properly you can shoot the standard cartridge from the Ackley chamber. The little 250AI is really a nice caliber to load too. I actually fireformed all my brass using a bulletless method some benchrest guys use.

When I was out there for Pdogs we stayed in Malta but we were on a Ranch 50 miles south east of town. Man we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, it was Great! When I called te Rancher for directions from town my buddy said the grin on my face just kept getting bigger the longer I listened. The Rancher was telling me go 35 miles down this gravel road and 15 miles on this gravel road. etc, it sounded perfect to me! I used a custom built 22-250 and a little 221 fireball. The Fireball was great out to about 200 to 250 yards. I really streached it out some. I was shooting Hornaday 40grain VMax using R7 @3350fps. Smokin! That is one fun little caliber as it has no recoil and you easily see the hits in the scope, the light bullet is a bit wind sensative, but that was part of the fun. I mostly used the 22-250 for the 300 + yard shots. I got a bit carried away and let it get too hot over the couple days of shooting. I ended up with a burn up throat and had to replace that barrel. My new one actually shoots much better and is less finicky. I am planning to build another one in .22-250AI but use a 12 twist so I can shoot 60 grainers, but I am concidering using a 10 twist to shoot up to 70's. I have one Kreiger barrel for my Benchrest rifle in 22-250AI and it shoots 60 grain VMax real nice.

I went on My first black bear hunt back in 1995. I did all sorts of reading on Black Bear before the hunt and the one caliber that just kept popping up was the old .358 win. I finally looked at some reloading manuals and really got intrigued by the caliber. Most of the articles mentioned the Win 88 and Savage 99 rifles. I could not find any of them in gunshows here in the east. In the first copy of Gunlist I got in my hands was a Ruger77 in .358win, Factory built! I called the guy in Odessa Tx and it was on the way! Your right it is a great variant on the old .308 win. Mine likes IMR 4320 and a 225gn Nosler partition. Hammer time! I shot a nice Black Bear and took it clean of its feet, completely rolled it. 8) :D Still have that rifle, not sure I would part with it.

I guess you can see that I too like some odd calibers! :wink: 8)

In the days following the last posted load for the 6.5 brm, i have experienced issues with extraction/ejection of the fired brass. This led to reducing the load by 1/2 grain to 35.5g of N540. This load seems much better for extraction/ejection, and is still flying at 2685 fps from the muzzle. The elevation dial settings for 200, 300, 400, 500, and 550 yards i have already memorized kinda. They are 2, 5, 8, 12, and 14 moa. So, for example, if the rangefinder say target is 344 yard, the dial is turned up to 6.25 moa, and if a steady trigger is pulled, the target is drilled.

These past days have also seen a bipod installed on the rifle, and most shooting lately has been kinda replicating hunting conditions. Yesterday was a wet damp morning. The grass was very wet. What i did was take the rifle and lay down in a road on which the dirt was damp, but not terribly muddy. Lying prone, i shot 4 shots at each target. The pebbles in the roads, kinda made my right elbow raw. The first shot on both target hit high, and alone. For some strange reason the next three shots on both targets printed quite similar patterns.

P1030497.JPG

Back