My New Toy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sask-possum

Reaction score
Here is a rifle I bought over a year ago and finally have it done how I wanted it. It's a REM700SPS Varmint 243Win 26" Heavy BBL. I added the Boyds Thumbhole stock and a Rifle Basix trigger set at 20 oz. Scope is a Vortex 6.5x20x50 with the Dead-Hold BDC reticle. Now I have to try to get out and dial it in. Should be a great coyote/wolf gun :)

My go to gun is a Sako TRG-S in 338Win Mag but everyone needs a new toy once in a while.. :p Right ??

Attachments

• March 29 2012 110.JPG
    March 29 2012 110.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 578
That looks like a heck of a rifle. Should be an excellent long range rifle. The 243 is a good long range caliber. It is a popular deer caliber in Southern Wisconsin because they can reach out across corn fields.

The 243 is one of my favorite rounds, I have several rifles chambered in it. I just finished loading up some 55 grn Blitzkings for the 243. I usually use 85-100 grain bullets, but wanted to try some light & fast loadings. Your rifle looks nice, just a tad on the heavy & long side for most of my uses. You do need something a bit smaller than a 338 though.

muskrat30 said:
Your rifle looks nice, just a tad on the heavy & long side for most of my uses. You do need something a bit smaller than a 338 though.

Ya for sure it is heavy, it weighs in at 11.6 LBS (No Ammo) same as my 338WinMag. But the Tupperware stock from factory was too short in LOP and it looked cheap to me. There is no doubt the laminate thumbhole added weight, as does the Bi-pod and scope.
As for length/weight It doesn't bother me in the bush, I kind of laugh when the magazine writers talk about losing 2 inches of barrel and make it sound like its a HUGE WEIGHT LOSS AND A BURDEN to carry. But then on the big calibers complain of recoil from light rifles and have to add accessories to lessen recoil but add weight back... :lol:
I just want to get out and get'er dialed in now..... :)

Edit.. One thing I must admit is I don't have to carry the rifle at above 5000 feet so that may make a difference in carrying

I had a 700ADL in .243 and was able to routinely hit woodchucks out to 300 yrds and if I got a good shot 400 to 500 yds. It is an awesome round for everything upto deer sized game. By the way nice looking rig there.

Nice rifle. I have the same gun in .223. I love the stock on yours. Yea 243 is a nice round. I also have a rem 700 in 243. Love both of them.

Latest posts

Back