Need help on buying my first gun, looking at CVA Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biged6246

Reaction score
I'm looking at an Optima Elite since it has the interchangable barrels and is cheaper than the T/C Encore. It's mainly the $ that I am leaning toward the CVA. I've heard mixed opinions before about the CVA guns. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think this board favors the T/C's over CVA's by quite a bit. I have an 2 Encores, 1 muzzleloader and 1 pistol. They are a little more expensive but in my opinion worth ever penny. Go all out and buy the new ProHunter.
This site has pretty good prices:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/shipping.php

Mike

That would be nice, but I don't have the money for a Pro Hunter. I really can't spend the money on a T/C. I'm looking for an inexpensive gun. My Rem. 11-87 with a Rem smooth barrel and a rifled choke kills deer every year. So I'm thinking that a less expensive muzzleloader will still kill deer. What are the differences between a cheaper muzzleloader and a T/C? Is it that the better quality T/C is more accurate at 200 yards?

Why don't you consider a NEF Handi-Rifle/Huntsman. They are a really nice outfit for the money. The NEF Sidekick Stainless I had would practically put shots into the same hole at 100yds with the right load. I think your chances of getting an accurate rifle are MUCH better with the NEF vs. the CVA.

Concerning CVA vs. T/C. CERTAINLY T/C isn't the only muzzleloading game in town. But they are a GOOD one, you can bet on that. You specified that you are wanting an interchangeable barrel system. Well, that limits the possibilities. T/C offers one of the better systems. They ARE a little pricey. HOWEVER...you are practically ASSURED of a more accurate rifle, better resale value, and better customer service. The CVA Optima Elites are unproven in the centerfire realm. And quite frankly, their muzzleloaders are a hit or miss proposition. Most seem to either get one that shoots GREAT or get one that won't group at all(as in my case). The other less-expensive alternative to the Encore is the NEF HandiRifle/Huntsman. You have a MUCH better chance here of getting a good rifle! Most that I have heard from are getting really good accuracy with their muzzleloaders and rifles on the NEF frame.

Be assured that the reason a LOT of folks recommend AGAINST a CVA is for a reason, not just because they enjoy picking on CVA..

Thanks. I'll check on those guns. I don't have to have an interchangable barrel gun, I thought it would be nice to have the ability to do that some day. I would love to buy a T/C, but it's just a money issue and I'm not a top of the line, have to have type of person either.

My buddy has a NEF. 6X6 is right they are a nice inexpensive muzzleloader. My buddy's killed 3 deer with his, all 1 shot. I'm pretty sure he's shooting 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets and a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander out of his NEF.

Mike

Wow! Thanks alot guys. This is what I've been looking for. Looks like you can get different barrels for it too.

what about a Knight Disc Elite?

If you have a spare scope, you could get into a Knight Disc Elite
for cheap money from the classifieds. Then you'd have a top notch
shooter on a budget.

F

I'm interested to see what CVA is going to do about their centerfire stuff. Surely the barrels are going to have to go through an FFL since the receivers are already out there, right? My friend got an Optima right when I got my Elite and he can keep his, thanks.

If you are looking to save money, try to find a Used or New Knight LK-93 Wolverine. They are a very accurate for a 100 yard Rifle.

Some of the guys that I prairie dog hunt with are die hard NEF guys. You have to send the rifle back to the factory for fitting with a new barrel if you do decide to do the interchangable system. All of the barrels that these guys have though are very accurate, probably as accurate as my encore system with a equal caliber barrel.

I have 2 muzzleloaders, My first was a cva maghunter topped with a 3x9x40 tasco. It will shoot under 2 inches or under all day. Nothing wrong with CVA rifles, very good for the money. Dont let people spend your money for you. My other is an stainless encore topped woth a 4x13x40 leupold. I have shot many groups with it under 1 inch. It is a greta rifle. I bought it because I thought I needed the best and so I could change barrels. Well to this day I havent bought another barrel for it. Either way you cant go wrong. If it is your first smoke pole by the cva and shoot it you will like it.

Saluki-
"Dont let people spend your money for you." Come on man nobody here is trying to spend his money for him. Just trying to point him in the right direction. If someone says "Be assured that the reason a LOT of folks recommend AGAINST a CVA is for a reason, not just because they enjoy picking on CVA.." that man speaks the truth. You have a CVA that you like, good, but a lot of people have had problems with them.
If I were trying to spend his money I would not have recommended a $150 NEF Handi Rifle, I would probably told him to go with a Remington 40X Ultimate or something of the like.

all is good...........

Many people always try and bash CVA, I have experience with 3 cva guns, everyone of them has shot with good accuracy if given the time with finding a good load. Thats encludes 1 that was a 99.00 special. The others my maghunter and one Optima that will shoot with my encore all day long. Most bash cva because of the spanish barrel pressure proof thread that started a couple of yrs ago. I say buy what you want, they will all put meat on the table. O have no experience with the NEF gun, I am sure they are good as well.

Thanks guys. I went to my local gun dealer and ordered an NEF Stainless Huntsman. My buddy has an NEF with a slug barrel and he loves it. I remember looking at his and I really liked it. The only problem is that they are backordered. He told me mid October.

Latest posts

Back