New Chrony Options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Garmin Xero and it is outstanding!
I was doing a bunch of reading on them early this morn. They really are getting very good reviews from guys that know WTH they're talking about. Better reviews than the Lab Radar even. 600.00 is pretty steep for many though, including me. I'd absolutely love to have one.

I was doing a bunch of reading on them early this morn. They really are getting very good reviews from guys that know WTH they're talking about. Better reviews than the Lab Radar even. 600.00 is pretty steep for many though, including me. I'd absolutely love to have one.
I have nothing bad at all to say about it. Maybe if you have a buddy or two you shoot with you could split the cost up to buy one? Trust me when I say they are well worth the $$

I have nothing bad at all to say about it. Maybe if you have a buddy or two you shoot with you could split the cost up to buy one? Trust me when I say they are well worth the $$
$600.00 is ok but my $600.00 will get spent on expensive bullet/powders to send down range never to be recast like my retrieved mushroomed lead to shoot again and again in my side locks . MagnetoV3 works for me and it's paid for like my molds (owe me nothing) and provides enough to get by /Ed

I don't have the option of a joint purchase on it I'm afraid. It absolutely looks like its well worth every cent. I really like reading & hearing that kind of review on a new product. I'm content having a functioning Caldwell chrony until I win the LOTTO

These radar chronys look pretty nifty... it would be really cool to measure bullet and arrow velocities as a function of distance downrange. $600 is a pretty steep price, but I'm guessing that it will come down a bit over the next few years.

The other toy I'd REALLY like to have is a piezo-electric strain gage system for measuring chamber pressures as function of time. When I looked into them a few years back, you could by a measurement and data analysis system complete with two piezo transducers for around $900. Additional transducers, (the transducer is a tiny chip with two little lead wires that is epoxied to the exterior of the rifle chamber under the stock), were about $50 each. What a tool for load development, measurement of load performance at different temperatures, measurement of load consistency, and so forth.

I wonder if that neat little Garmin is going to pick up the plastic as it Shucks off of the bullet
Interesting question.... I'm guessing that either the radar wavelength penetrates plastic and wad materials, which therefore produce very weak returns, or there's some sort of data-processing algorithm which identifies the main projectile. I doubt that these simple little radars have any imaging capability, but because the bullet maintains its velocity much better than wads or sabots, the bullet will always produce a doppler frequency that's equal to or lower than wads or sabots, so you could discriminate by always calculating velocity from the lowest frequency return signal.

That sounds like a well educated guess.
What he is saying, makes perfect sense. But I'd still prefer to have field tested results than educated speculation regardless of how much sense it makes. Maybe rp10ml will read this & go shoot a bunch of sabot loads with the new Garmin & give us a field report on how it went.

What he is saying, makes perfect sense. But I'd still prefer to have field tested results than educated speculation regardless of how much sense it makes. Maybe rp10ml will read this & go shoot a bunch of sabot loads with the new Garmin & give us a field report on how it went.
Yep - an ounce of field experience often disproves many, many pounds of well-educated speculation. I have many years of theoretical and experimental R&D experience with lidars - which are essentially radars that operate at optical rather than radio frequencies - but I'm just speculating about these little radars. So.... I hope that somebody who's used one with sabots can give us a test report.

Yep - an ounce of field experience often disproves many, many pounds of well-educated speculation. I have many years of theoretical and experimental R&D experience with lidars - which are essentially radars that operate at optical rather than radio frequencies - but I'm just speculating about these little radars. So.... I hope that somebody who's used one with sabots can give us a test report.
I got some speculating for you , how about me shooting long (700yds) with the Sharps and it's 45/70 with a PP 530 gr Eliptical /20-1 with an over powder (poly) wad along with a coffee filter (wad?) over the primer . When I shoot mos times it gives accurate readings (BUT) every so often I get a error reading and suspect it is the poly wad cause the paper patch comes off with in 15 ft and I consistently get a couple of errors out of 50-60 shots shooting Fridays , I punch them out with a 45 cal hole punch 1/8 inch thick so I imagine you could pick up some sabot flite !

That’s a really good point to bring up

I was going to PM him & ask about that.
Excellent question that I'm afraid I cannot answer. The 3 Muzzy's I have are all Smokeless Powder guns and all 3 shoot sabotless, bullet to bore. I have read that some guys are using the Garmin with their Shotguns, developing shot loads which of course use a wad??

Back