New CVA Accura V1 thoughts..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Edwardamason (2nd post)
Thanks again for sharing this info :) I am anxious and may just get a chance to try it out :0)

@ronlaughlin
Thanks so much for sharing this info...Perhaps I can arrang to have this done on my original QRBP, seeing I am getting the
replacement one in another day, I won't be without a breechplug. I do have a question; when I install the new Western Powders Breechplug with the tool, will that alter the barrel threads in any way that would effect re-installing the original QRBP after I have the mod. done? Thanks, Andrew

Great, do you do the mod., are you the Ron MC mentioned above? If not, do you have any contact info for who does the QRBP modified for the blackhorn 209? Thanks!

drew-67 said:
@ronlaughlin
Thanks so much for sharing this info...Perhaps I can arrang to have this done on my original QRBP, seeing I am getting the
replacement one in another day, I won't be without a breechplug. I do have a question; when I install the new Western Powders Breechplug with the tool, will that alter the barrel threads in any way that would effect re-installing the original QRBP after I have the mod. done? Thanks, Andrew
You have to seat the new plug in with the wrench one time to seat the threads. Be sure to grease the plug with your favorite grease. Once you remove the plug you will be able to use both plugs interchangably. You will never have to use the wrench again but I must admit its nice having that wrench around just in case one day I get a stuck breach plug.

I plan at some point to convert one of my extra plugs over to Rons excellent design and give it a try. I like the idea of a removable vent as this is a carry over from Savage Smokeless and that works great.

I may leave one of my plugs alone In case I ever decide to shoot Pyrodex or 777 in mine. Never can tell I go to a state to hunt that forbids BH209.

The only reason to keep the stock BP in it's stock condition is if you plan to shoot pellets. I can't imagine that after you shoot BH 209. I'd let Ron do his thing to it. I had one, and he does fine work, and it never failed to fire off BH instantly.

Muley Hunter said:
The only reason to keep the stock BP in it's stock condition is if you plan to shoot pellets. I can't imagine that after you shoot BH 209. I'd let Ron do his thing to it. I had one, and he does fine work, and it never failed to fire off BH instantly.
You guessed right. I am not a big fan of pellets but I can see why a lot of people might be drawn to them. For the guy that only wants to extend his hunting season by a few days a calendar year they are something that is simply simple to use and they work. Just pop them in and you are good to go.

I was watching a CVA video the other day Where Chad Schearer was using 3 of the White Hot Pellets with one of CVA Powerbelt bullets. He was getting some pretty amazing accuracy out of them. I have a buddy over in Virginia that swears by them. Not sure how that Powerbelt is going to hold up to that much FPS though.

Back in the mid 90s when pellets first came out I tried some of the FFG Pyrodex. I must admit I used them for a couple of seasons. I saw no difference in terms of accuracy between two pellets and 100 Grains of loose FFG pyrodex. When the box ran out my and I had to purchase another one my love affair with them ran out with the sticker price so I just went back to loose powder as I keep my hunting loads in a speed loader anyways and its just as fast to load from one of those with loose powder as it is with the pellets. It just takes a few min more worth of prep work before the hunt.

drew-67 said:
Great, do you do the mod., are you the Ron MC mentioned above? If not, do you have any contact info for who does the QRBP modified for the blackhorn 209? Thanks!
Sure i can do the pictured modification, but my hunting season is starting soon, and will last the rest of the year.

Received the western powders blackhorn 209 replacement BP kit today :) Got it installed and ready to rock (very easy process) however I did need to remove scope to tighten the breechplug with the tool for the initial fit. Looking forward to trying it out..ran out of time today.

After you installed it did you check it by putting a primer in it, and closing the gun to see if you can cock the hammer? You really have to crank on the tool to make sure the BP bottoms out on the barrel.

Muley Hunter said:
After you installed it did you check it by putting a primer in it, and closing the gun to see if you can cock the hammer? You really have to crank on the tool to make sure the BP bottoms out on the barrel.

This!

drew-67 said:
Received the western powders blackhorn 209 replacement BP kit today :) Got it installed and ready to rock (very easy process) however I did need to remove scope to tighten the breechplug with the tool for the initial fit. Looking forward to trying it out..ran out of time today.

Had I would have thought to have posted this in advance a large screwdriver will work. It just has to have a large enough handle to get some torx on. That or Rig some sort of cheater bar up to the screw driver. My Wolf and Optima Lined up Ok so I did not have to do that though.

@edwardamason;
Thanks for your insight :)
You know it's kinda funny, but as the old saying goes, everything happens for a reason..I thought about rigging something to tighten it..and then I got thinking that I really wanted to take the scope off anyway. You see, last week when I received the gun, I got wondering how the base was attached and if locktite or anything was used, so I called CVA customer service at that time and asked..they said that locktite wasn't used, but they assured me that with the 4 screws it wasn't needed and would be fine. Anyway, now I had the perfect chance to remove the base and put some locktite on the screws..Maybe not necessary, but I feel better knowing I did it :) Thanks again!

drew-67 said:
@edwardamason;
You know it's kinda funny, but as the old saying goes, everything happens for a reason..I thought about rigging something to tighten it..and then I got thinking that I really wanted to take the scope off anyway. You see, last week when I received the gun, I got wondering how the base was attached and if locktite or anything was used, so I called CVA customer service at that time and asked..they said that locktite wasn't used, but they assured me that with the 4 screws it wasn't needed and would be fine. Anyway, now I had the perfect chance to remove the base and put some locktite on the screws..Maybe not necessary, but I feel better knowing I did it :) Thanks again!
If you could go back and use the search feature here. That is exactly what I did with mine when I first got it. Took it one step further. Ran a tap through the holes. Decreased them and then locked tight them down. I found that the base screws were NOT screwed in very well in my two MLs.

drew-67 said:
@edwardamason;

I always did that too, but I have to admit the screws were always tight, and probably would have be fine.

There's something about blue loctite that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Back