New CVA Accura V1 thoughts..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, now I see that the Accura is appropriately named :) One week to the day that I received my new ML rifle and I was finally able to get out and test it out..I am stoked with the results; from the time I started sighting in at 25 yards, to where I finished at a 100yds, I could cover the groups with my fist ( and that's without a proper bench rest). And I gotta say I love the Blackhorn 209 :) After almost 25 years of using Goex FFg black powder, this was a real pleasure to shoot without swabbing after every shot. Ignition was flawless too and was so fast that I was able to have an instant surprise with every shot :0) Can't wait to shoot again and really fine tune this baby!!!

drew-67 said:
WOW, now I see that the Accura is appropriately named :) One week to the day that I received my new ML rifle and I was finally able to get out and test it out..I am stoked with the results; from the time I started sighting in at 25 yards, to where I finished at a 100yds, I could cover the groups with my fist ( and that's without a proper bench rest). And I gotta say I love the Blackhorn 209 :) After almost 25 years of using Goex FFg black powder, this was a real pleasure to shoot without swabbing after every shot. Ignition was flawless too and was so fast that I was able to have an instant surprise with every shot :0) Can't wait to shoot again and really fine tune this baby!!!

Awesome. Glad you had a good time and yet another good CVA report.

Its pretty amazing how these little Ml's shoot. There will still be people out there that will continue to bash CVA out of ignorance because of thier experince with CVA in the past but these Ml's are simply a marvel. Two piece stocks be damed.

:) The icing on the cake was when it come time to clean it up, my little Otis cleaning kit made short work of of it...I take pride in cleaning my guns..I gotta admit it sure was nice to be able to clean this like the rest of them!!!

Ok, now I am really amazed..Got to go out today to fine tune, the last 4 rounds were all in one key-hole and all within 1" of bullseye! These were all shot over the hood of my truck, using a couple of pads..Today's my birthday and I really enjoyed myself shooting this set-up...Stoked :)

Happy Birthday!

Sounds like you had a Good day shooting. Post some Pics if you can. We like Pictures! :wink:

Sounds like another one hooked on Smokers! :D 8)

Hey all,
i posted this in the big game hunting section, but thought i would ask for help here as well, as I havent had any responses yet..
Anyway, I will be using 90 grains Blackhorn 209 powder,Hornady Interlock 458" 350 GR FP (#4503) bullets, with MMP 50 Cal. Oranges Sabots, Winchester W209 primers, out of my CVA Accura for Whitetail Deer Hunting and possibly Black Bear..Any thoughts on this load, as far as FPS, energy and actual use on big game? Thanks, Andrew

drew-67 said:
Hey all,
i posted this in the big game hunting section, but thought i would ask for help here as well, as I havent had any responses yet..
Anyway, I will be using 90 grains Blackhorn 209 powder,Hornady Interlock 458" 350 GR FP (#4503) bullets, with MMP 50 Cal. Oranges Sabots, Winchester W209 primers, out of my CVA Accura for Whitetail Deer Hunting and possibly Black Bear..Any thoughts on this load, as far as FPS, energy and actual use on big game? Thanks, Andrew

Sounds like a dandy combination to me. You might try upping the powder charge to 100 gr and see if accuracy stays the same. Your drops will improve slightly as well as your expansion on the bullet.

No hard data. I am using the 4500 300 Interbond with 100 Gr out of a Optima. I have no doubt that either one of our loads are capable of taking any game in NA.

IIRC the Hornady 350gr RNFP is slightly tougher than the 300gr JHP. It should expand "ok" at ML speeds. A little more fps than a JHP probably wont hurt a thing though....except your shoulder. :D

If you want a cheap tougher .458-300gr JHP, check out the Speer HotCor line up. Expansion is nearly as good at low fps and the jacket holds up better at high fps. IIRC they have a dandy 350gr too if you want more penetration.

BTW the 300gr JHP says jacketed...well its the old UniCor but for some reason Speer calls them all jacketed now.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... &firearm=1

This is the Speer 458 300gr JHP shot in a 45/70 at 2100fps and recovered from a bull moose. Retained 220gr
6772300Speerunicor.jpg

Some of the other 300gr JHP 458s become a lot more fragile at this speed but the Speer held up pretty darn good.

GM54-120 said:
IIRC the Hornady 350gr RNFP is slightly tougher than the 300gr JHP. It should expand "ok" at ML speeds. A little more fps than a JHP probably wont hurt a thing though....except your shoulder. :D

If you want a cheap tougher .458-300gr JHP, check out the Speer HotCor line up. Expansion is nearly as good at low fps and the jacket holds up better at high fps. IIRC they have a dandy 350gr too if you want more penetration.

BTW the 300gr JHP says jacketed...well its the old UniCor but for some reason Speer calls them all jacketed now.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... &firearm=1

This is the Speer 458 300gr JHP shot in a 45/70 at 2100fps and recovered from a bull moose. Retained 220gr
6772300Speerunicor.jpg

Some of the other 300gr JHP 458s become a lot more fragile at this speed but the Speer held up pretty darn good.

Thanks for posting that. I cannot find anymore of the Hornady 4500s as they are discontinued. I am going to order a couple of boxes of the Speer and give them a shot based on that photo. They look pretty good. I am liking the way the .458 are shooting out of the Optima and the Wolf and going to stick with that. For that matter they are showing good signs in my Savage MLII also.

Thanks for the helpful replies! Good to read both of your experiences and thoughts; much appreciated :)
I may look for some lower cost bullet/sabot alternatives for target shooting. As I figure the above set-up (powder, bullet, sabot, primer) is costing roughly $1.75 per shot...
But after all the years of using traditional black powder, with having no choice but to swab between shots and the mess afterwards that came with using that, I am hooked on the ease of using Blackhorn 209 powder..I've always enjoyed Muzzleloading, But to me, using this just made it so much more enjoyable..I just may use this Accura and powder/bullet combination for all seasons, rather required or not :)

This will be my first season with a muzzleloader and I have decided to do the same. I will use it during the regular firearm season (Nov 4-30), and the muzzleloading season (Dec 2-14). Hopefully there will be venison in the freezer BEFORE the real cold weather arrives!

Thanks for posting that. I cannot find anymore of the Hornady 4500s as they are discontinued. I am going to order a couple of boxes of the Speer and give them a shot based on that photo. They look pretty good. I am liking the way the .458 are shooting out of the Optima and the Wolf and going to stick with that. For that matter they are showing good signs in my Savage MLII also.

NP. the Speers in 458 seem slightly more available. I can usually find the Sierra 300gr JHP too but IMO it looks just like a Rem 458 300gr JHP. It has VERY fast expansion even at 1400fps. The Speer 300gr is definitely has more controlled expansion and the HP is more like a flat point. It should be good at higher speeds or when more penetration is desired.

Any of them though will flat out knock the snot out of a whitetail if you do your part.

Good morning,
As I plan on shooting this as much as I can afford and time permits ;0) lol..How well do these Bergara barrells hold up? Anyone had one for some time and anything I need to look out for or do special? I plan on doing the regular cleaning after shooting etc. Thanks!

drew-67 said:
Good morning,
As I plan on shooting this as much as I can afford and time permits ;0) lol..How well do these Bergara barrells hold up? Anyone had one for some time and anything I need to look out for or do special? I plan on doing the regular cleaning after shooting etc. Thanks!
Probably got over 300 rounds down through mine to date. Still not even broke in I suspect.

drew-67 said:
Good morning,

I doubt most of us could wear out any modern steel ML barrel if its properly maintained. Some powders are slightly more abrasive than others. They might "grow" a little after a long time and many many shots but its not anything to be concerned about IMO.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll be good for a bit ;0)
Thought of another question;
What do you all use for cleaning the composite stocks? And do you apply any protectant? Thanks again!!

drew-67 said:
Thanks! Sounds like I'll be good for a bit ;0)
Thought of another question;
What do you all use for cleaning the composite stocks? And do you apply any protectant? Thanks again!!

I just wipe it down with a damp cloth. if set up properly, there should be no powder residue, a little dirt from where ever.

Latest posts

Back