New CVA Optima suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the gun is just about sighted in. I have it 1 inch high at 50 yards. I was reading about the Konus scopes 3 inch eye relief so I changed it a to a Bushnell DOA with 5 inch plus eye relief. The scope is nice and clear and I got a great deal on it at cabelas. One question I have is I have a old brass adjustable powder measure that I have always used with my flintlock I measured 100 grains and put it in black horn clear powder containers that have marks on them. The same load measures as 90 grain in the black horn container. Thinking I may up it to 115 on the brass measure tool?

If it measures 90 of BlackHorn 209 I would leave it. My Optima loves 90 grains of BlackHorn 209. It sounds like you are getting everything all set. Good luck.

I cleaned it out real good last night but did not check the bore. Is there reason to concern that plastic from the sabots could get through the cleaning and I should recheck? I would like to get it out again to get it dialed in for 100 yards. One more question the black crush sabots seemed to go down the barrel very easy. Almost seemed too loose. Is that something to concern myself on?

treetop01 said:
I cleaned it out real good last night but did not check the bore. Is there reason to concern that plastic from the sabots could get through the cleaning and I should recheck? I would like to get it out again to get it dialed in for 100 yards. One more question the black crush sabots seemed to go down the barrel very easy. Almost seemed too loose. Is that something to concern myself on?

Plastic fouling is minor with today's sabots. Boiling hot water seems to remove it as well as any solvent but if you want to avoid water try Shotgun Wad solvent from Brownwells. http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... d1166.aspx

Backcrushribs are likely kinda loose in a newer Optima. Maybe too loose if you use a .451 bullet instead of a .452. If they shoot well don't worry about it. If they don't shoot well try the Harvester Black Smooth "short" or the MMP HPH-24 if you want a longer sabot that is about the same loaded OD.

I checked the bore and it looks fine. I ended up shooting it 9 times yesterday and I do not see any plastic in the bore. The sabots I am using seem to start tighter but really free up towards the powder charge. I have the harvester gold that cabelas is selling in 300 grains.

Thanks to everyone for the help, there seems to be some great folks here. I have had it out at the range 3 times now and feeling pretty confident with it. I would still like to get another session or two before the season. Thanks again you guys are great. I am going to post a new topic on how you guys get organized for the hunt, I would be interested in picking up any tips there may be on being prepared for a fast reload and what I would want to carry with me in the field. Thanks again. TT

mines very picky it seems.

240 xtp 90 and 100gr is all over the place

250 sst- pretty much the same

300gr sst w/ 90 grs is the best I have used so far and even then the groups are not amazing at 100 yds, but at lest they are a group unlike the above combos.

I just bought black horn 209 today and still have to order the breech plug. will play around with it when that comes and see what teh groups look like.

ALso my v2 has blowback, every shot the whole action is covered.

sawtoothscream said:

300gr sst w/ 90 grs is the best I have used so far and even then the groups are not amazing at 100 yds, but at lest they are a group unlike the above combos.

I just bought black horn 209 today and still have to order the breech plug. will play around with it when that comes and see what teh groups look like.

Are you shooting from a bench with a solid rest? Are you sure your scope mount is tight? If your scope was already installed as part of a package, there is a good chance it may be loose. Even if it doesn't feel loose, it might be loose enough to move with the recoil of a shot. Your rifle is capable of shooting sub 2" groups with the bullets you have and the right sabots.

sabinajiles said:
sawtoothscream said:

Are you shooting from a bench with a solid rest? Are you sure your scope mount is tight? If your scope was already installed as part of a package, there is a good chance it may be loose. Even if it doesn't feel loose, it might be loose enough to move with the recoil of a shot. Your rifle is capable of shooting sub 2" groups with the bullets you have and the right sabots.

Scope is a Nikon prostaff shotgun scope and I took it off and re tightened everything. Rest was just one at teh range with a coat over it. Going to buy a cadwell lead sled for next time i try to get a load worked up for it.

THe XTp were just all over, no consistency at all at 100 yds, the 300gr stt was probably a 5 inch group. Might be abl eto do better but I havent been back to the range to play with them more.

A solid rest is important. I use a lead sled rest but find I still have to firmly pull the rifle and and rest into my my shoulder in order to get the best accuracy. I haven't shot any XTPs out of my Accura V2, but have several friends that shoot them in various other rifles and have excellent results with them. I have shot a lot of SSTs, both the 250 gr and 300 gr, and have found them to be quite accurate. I use the smooth Harvester short black sabots with both bullets and 100 gr BH 209 with the 250s and 110 gr with the 300s and they will both shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yds. My son has an Optima V2 and it will shoot the same loads just as well.

The most accurate loads I have found with both my rifle, and my son's, are the Hornady .430 265 gr FTX with a smooth green Harvester sabot and 100 gr BH 209, and the Hornady .458 325 gr FTX with the orange MMP sabot and 110 gr BH 209. Both of these will shoot 1 ragged hole groups at 100 yds. These bullets are uncannily accurate in my Accura V2 and my son's Optima V2. You might try getting some black crush rib harvester sabots and some black short, smooth Harvester sabots. A lot of folks have excellent results shooting .452 bullets with the crush ribs and they load very easily, but I have had my best results with the smooth short sabots. They load a bit stiffer than the crush ribs but not unreasonably hard.

Interestingly, I was having excellent results with the 265 gr FTXs but could not get the 325 gr FTXs to group. Come to find out, my scope mount was just a little bit loose. It wasn't loose enough that I could move it by hand or, apparently, to shift under the recoil from shooting the 265s, but the recoil from the 325s was causing it to move. I remounted the scope base, tightening it securely, using blue lock-tite on the screws and let it cure overnight and did the same with the scope rings. I shot it with the same load the next day and it was dead on, shooting 1 hole groups. It doesn't take hardly any movement, from either a loose scope or a rifle moving prematurely on a rest, to open up your groups at 100 yds.

sawtoothscream said:
Will check those out

Are you using the mount that comes with the gun?

Both my Accura and my son's Optima came with the Dead On scope mount. I mounted the scope of my choice and his Optima already had the Nikon scope mounted. I did not follow my own advice, got in a hurry and just tightened the mount screws without lock-titing them and they loosened up after shooting for a while. I'm not sure when, because as I said, they only loosened a small amount that was not physically noticeable and the scope was apparently only moving under heavier recoiling loads. My son's scope was supposed to have been bore sighted when mounted but he couldn't get anything to group. His scope rings and mount screws both loosened within the first 25-30 shots.

sabinajiles said:
My son's scope was supposed to have been bore sighted when mounted but he couldn't get anything to group. His scope rings and mount screws both loosened within the first 25-30 shots.

That's two questions I have for CVA. Are the scope rings and base screws locktited when installed and is the black paint on my receiver painted over a stainless steel frame? Anybody know for sure?

toytruck said:
sabinajiles said:
My son's scope was supposed to have been bore sighted when mounted but he couldn't get anything to group. His scope rings and mount screws both loosened within the first 25-30 shots.

That's two questions I have for CVA. Are the scope rings and base screws locktited when installed and is the black paint on my receiver painted over a stainless steel frame? Anybody know for sure?

I have no idea how CVA mounts their scopes. My son's Optima scope package was not offered from CVA. It was a retailer package. The CVA Optima and Accura receivers are not stainless steel. They are an aluminum alloy and they are painted black.

My Optima V2 came with a package with scope mounted and boresighted by CVA. Just thought you had the same deal. Aluminum alloy not the best, but it shouldn't rust any time soon. I'm liking my Whites more and more... :yeah:

I purchased an Optima in July with the one piece scope mount. I bought my own scope. After shooting the gun four or five times the mount came loose. They did not use locktite on the threads. Now whenever I buy a new gun with a mount on it or also with a scope I take everything off and do it myself. If the reticle isn't perfectly horizontal and vertical with the gun you can have a gun accurate at only one distance. That is the distance the gun is zeroed. I also had a base come loose on a gun from a retailer.

sabinajiles said:
sawtoothscream said:
Will check those out

Are you using the mount that comes with the gun?

Both my Accura and my son's Optima came with the Dead On scope mount. I mounted the scope of my choice and his Optima already had the Nikon scope mounted. I did not follow my own advice, got in a hurry and just tightened the mount screws without lock-titing them and they loosened up after shooting for a while. I'm not sure when, because as I said, they only loosened a small amount that was not physically noticeable and the scope was apparently only moving under heavier recoiling loads. My son's scope was supposed to have been bore sighted when mounted but he couldn't get anything to group. His scope rings and mount screws both loosened within the first 25-30 shots.

yeah mine has the dead on mount, I didnt lock tite it in yet though. THe rings did loosen up a little but the base was still tight. Will have to throw some locktite on when I try to work up a load with the blackhorn powder. cadwell lead sleds are on sale so I havee one of those coming as well. So hopefully i can get this guns groups much better then they are now. Will probably grab a leupold ultimate slam 3-9x40 before next season as well.

Also on a side note, dont put that cva sticker on your stock and if you do be careful taking it off. The top layer came off when I was drying my gun and when I peeled the rest the film dip came off with it :( now i have a half sticker shape black section in my stock :wall:

Back