New Field Dressing Knife Recommendation??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using the same buck knife with a gut hook for the last 7-8 years, and it has been a great knife over that span of years. It just doesn't seem to retain its sharpness as well after I sharpen it these days (like a chain for a chainsaw, it doesn't seem to keep its sharp cutting ability as long as it once did). That being said, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I would definitely want a knife with a gut hook (very convenient). I am certainly not opposed to another Buck knife, but don't know if there are even better knives out there. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've tried gut hook knives and was never really impressed enough to keep any. For a while I bought nothing but Cold Steel knives and the Hunter model was what I preferred and used the most. I was never really blown away by how they held an edge though and found that my good old Case Trapper was and is a favorite go to, and I've got three trappers along with various other models just because Case knives are so darn appealing. Having said that, in the field I always have a Trapper in my pocket but a Bark River fixed blade for taking care of hogs or deer. For me a knife blade should be no longer than 4 inches, otherwise it is in the way. The handle should be between 4 & 5 inches too. Bowie knives look mean and tough but are almost useless when it comes to gutting a white tail deer. Blade shape for me is important so the cutting edge needs a good "belly" to it. Drop point blades are my preferred shape. Blade steel is also important but I don't want to get into the minutiae of all that. If you prefer stainless then get something that is a good mix of edge holding and sharpen ability. Just because it's stainless doesn't make it better; and I hate 440C!
Anyway, I suggest you take a look at Bark River fixed blade knives. Both the Bravo 1.5 and 1.0 are very nice fixed blades and are quite reasonable with Micarta scales. The A2 steel they use isn't stainless but they have their heat treatment process down pat and excellent edge retention, hardness and ease of sharpening. If you want something nicer in mind, they do offer knives in CPM-154 and S-30V as well as exotic hardwood scales. I love CPM-154 as it holds a great edge but is super easy to hone back to a hair shaving edge. I've got a Great Eastern folding pocket knife with ebony scales and a single blade of CPM-154 that is my everyday carry. Great Eastern makes so few knives that most sell out in minutes once they go up for sale and I'm still surprised that I was actually able to get one.

Anyway, here are some links to some of my favorite knives so maybe you'll find one that suites you.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-bobcat-hunter-cpm-154/
https://knivesshipfree.com/casstrom...een-micarta-sleipner-tool-steel-scandi-grind/
https://www.coldsteel.store/cold-st...ld-steel-knives-high-quality-and-inexpensive/

Regarding steel type, I'm a big fan of DC53. It is a little like M series tool steels in that it has a so called "secondary hardening response". What that means is that the hardness after tempering can actually be a few points higher than as-quenched. Additionally, much of the alloy content is carbide forming elements which improve wear resistance. Lastly, there is enough chrome for near-stainless corrosion resistance. It is a great combination and is not too brittle even at HRC 63 which is what I aim for.
Regarding blade shape, I like a drop point on a relatively short blade; three inches is plenty for me.
Regards,
Duhawki

many Americans couldn't/wouldn't pay the premium for American made .
sometimes off shore products are ok a non pro .
harbor freight comes to mind . i miss their %20 coupons every week :(
it is what it is .

And that is the attitude that makes sure we continue to buy Chinese crap.
My grandfather and his ancestors were men like the Alone in the Wilderness guy, I have many tools they made with their own hands for jobs we no longer have or value or need. (Like making your own snowshoes) He died in 1960 at 60 years old, and it was not long after that the quality of tools they valued the most was farmed out and cheapened. In the spirit of this thread, I tried out 2 new knives this year. One was a QDMA folder with a guthook(China). The other was a new Kabar 1226 made in China. My old go to knife was a Schrade Old Timer 1560T. The folder was sharp as all get out and held up well thru one deer but the guthook sucked. The Kabar was what I used on the next 7 deer (not all mine) and it was a pleasure and held a great edge. The problem is it is not a drop point and the point caused problems. I am pained it was made in China. My Old Timer is just impossible to make sharp and won't hold an edge. I have many sharpening tools and sharpen for others in the group.
I have looked at many handmade knives(lust)but instead of dropping $$$ on one I will dig out my grandfathers rosewood handle homemade knife, made from an old file. Little longer then I want but worth a try. Both new knives this year were gifts, so I did not buy Chinese.

I have an old carbon bladed fillet knife that is of the 1950's vintage. Its been sharpened so many times it looks more like a knitting needle with a wood handle, but it fillets the heck out of fish so its still out in the knife drawer where I clean fish.

I havent had to try and sharpen a gut hook yet. I think the design just keeps them from much abuse that can dull them. But youve got me thinking about how to do it and a chainsaw sharpener file would probably do the trick. I dont have a chainsaw so I never had to sharpen one.
Try using one of those round ceramic sharpener. I have a round rod from an old stadium light, same as those made for knife sharpeners.

Never found a way to sharpen a gut hook on a knife to where it was useful, to me they were something not needed.
There are these tinny stones we use at my job called polishing stones there like mini wet stones if you'd like I can find out where we buy them and you could try them to see if it works oh they also come in different grit from 60 to 400 what iv seen at the job

I know alot people aren't happy with Russia and all that jazz but before the war over there I got this knife and an axle from a knife maker there that hand makes knifes and it holds a great edge he does many different sizes and styles takes them a bit to do them but they do build them nicely and comes with case both this and my axle were $240.00 the $40.00 was the shipping

Attachments

• 20221201_034028.jpg
    20221201_034028.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
outdoor edge makes a dedicated gut hook blade for folks that dont want to sharpen , although just like their replaceable blades (and all fixed blade gut hooks) they can be resharpened with a small ceramic rod .

1669903192560.png
and their pro version includes a gut hook but it is pushed instead of pulled .

1669903848522.png

Hard to go wrong with a Buck. My first knife (bottom left) was a buck and it's done it's share of deer and small game. My main field knives these days are a custom made knife that is about 25 years old now (top left). It slices through hide excellent and is a great skinner. The other main one I use is a USA made Schrade folder, that has seen its fair use. It takes a great edge. Kind of sad what Schrade has become these days (IMO).

For processing the animal once back home, I like using fillet knives and mora knives for deboning deer. The Mora is just so handy as a general duty knife and so simple to sharpen. The fillet knife is great for working meat off bones. We actually have like 5-6 fillet knives, just for deboning deer quarters.

The top right knife is from Survive and is a new one for me, so not much use at this point. Does seem like a good design though.

IMG_1540.jpg

UPDATE- Got my new Buck knife, certainly looks sharp. They could probably save us all $10 if they didn't put it in a box that looks like it would contain a $2000 scope. Hopefully will get to use it when I hunt late ML in IA in a couple weeks. I will also be taking my daughter hunting on state leased land as well (bow hunting only).

Back