New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It starts at 23 seconds, ends at 49 seconds.

Ok, I was being a little facetious there but went back and watched again. Guess I will add to the "nope" list.

When this thread first started way back, like most of you all I was very excited. I was looking forward to this new arrival. After I saw the PDF file of the blueprints for the patent a little while back I was confused. I couldn't understand the ignition system and expressed this much in a post. It just didn't look like a muzzleloader ignition system that I am used to. After watching the video yesterday I was still confused but it confirmed what I saw in the PDF file. The ignition system is exactly what I thought it was.
The confusing part I can't figure out is how this gun can be considered a muzzleloader.
I am by no means knocking this gun. I am sure it is a great gun for deer hunting. I just don't see how something can be called a muzzleloader when the propellant is cased with the primer and loaded thru the breech.

Last edited:
I do not see the “muzzleloader” part. Heck, I don’t even see a ramrod nor provisions for one (pipe). I guess you shouldn’t expect much from me though, being a die hard traditionalist.
Walk

I feel like the idea has merit. I've mentioned it before, but my father in law was a huge fan of contenders. He thought it was the perfect platform for about everything. I can't tell you how many different times he talked about almost exactly this gun. He wanted cut down a 45-70 case, prime it, dump in his powder charge and then seal it with an over powder card. Load that from the breech and load the bullet from the muzzle. That was going to be his super simple muzzleloader. But he didn't want to risk his 45-70 barrel in case something went wrong, and when he asked the state DNR about it they said absolutely not. If there was any possibility of it loading from the breech then it was a no go. I believe the conversation came down to their needing to be a breech plug that couldn't just fall out of the barrel (he also thought about cutting down a case down to about a half inch or so, filling it so it was solid then tapping it for a vent liner and using that as a threadless breech plug.)

So all that said, I can see where the idea has merit. I could see it being a super easy way to get a kid out during ML season or just a different type of gun to play with. I'm disappointed because it's not a gun I can hunt with. Initially I expected something much different so I had to adjust expectations. I appreciate the ingenuity and I understand now why Haus of Arms kept referring to it as more of a hybrid muzzleloader. I won't but one of those because I can't shoot it, however if Lehigh can develop a true smokeless muzzleloader based off this new SSK -50 frame I'll buy one even if I can only shoot reduced loads with it.

This design reminds me of a Schutzen rifle. When I first joined my club (about 20 years ago) there was a large group that had matches quite often. The rifles had very heavy straight bull barrels and most had a drop block type action but there were others. They had a tool that you put the bullet in and it seated the bullet into the lands from the breech seating was adjustable. Then they had the powder in a brass cartridge case and used Floral foam in the case mouth to keep the powder in. Looks like the same concept.

These cases look like "Blanks" with that crimp on the end. So how are you going to put the powder in and seal it? Is it going to come with a die or are you going to have to buy these Pre-Loaded from Lehigh?

Guess we will have to wait to see if Grouse can give us some more info as to IF this is the new ML or if there is a "True" Ml coming.

This seems to be BPCR type gun. The only difference is they are not seating the bullet in the case. Sorta like a Sharps percussion " reinvented" using modern design. Brass case instead of a paper or cloth powder cartridge. I don't think it would be legal in my state during muzzleloader only seasons.

I'm not even sure if would be legal in our firearms season. I'm in a shotgun zone and can hunt with shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun. It's obviously not a shotgun. Doesn't fit the state definition of a muzzleloader. The brass case makes me think it would probably be closer to a centerfire rifle in the DNR's eyes.

Our law allows the ignition source to be breach loaded but nothing else. So it must have a breach plug in it unless....its a pistol. It would be completely legal in a pistol form.

Bummer, Not legal here. We have the muzzleloader shotgun pistol restrictions in my local management unit. It would not qualify as any of those. I don't understand the benefit of that ignition system vs. short plug and 209.

I really hope we are all jumping the “gun” and this is not what’s been hyped for months.

Just seems we’ve been shill’d, if that’s the case. A lot of hype about a “new product ive been testing” and “wish I could share more”. “But just wait, it’s going to blow your mind...”

Last edited:
There’s nothing new with this concept. Swinglock and badbull have been doing it for several years. When done right, it works very well—also reduces the chance for a double load. That being said, it’s not really a muzzleloader, so not a lot of practical use in most states.

No blow back at all. Just shot the new barrel today. First two shots are to the right, then moved scope left a little and shot the rest.

Seems accurate sure enough...but is it a muzzleloader??? that is the question? My 40-65 rolling block does about the same with a tang sight. I just load the shell case..bullet and all right in the chamber close her up take aim and fire. But my rolling block is many years older and is NOT a muzzleloader. Maybe when the rifle is rolled out for all to see it will change some opinions..maybe not.

Back