New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What defines non-moderated? Would that be a non-smokeless capable version?

Non-moderated just means no silencer. Correct? (or, no adults making us behave)

Normally I would agree with you on that, but he already stated that the test gun he’s shooting doesn’t have a silencer. I believe the patent that was linked earlier has nothing to do with the current ML Lehigh is working on.

My guess is that this is somehow governed or otherwise designed in a way that it will be allow it to be safe(r) in the event of a failure. This will be an exclusive gun designed in a way that won’t allow it to be used with other barrels or forends. A dedicated SML. Then there will be a second .45 option that will work with a standard Contender frame and forends but will be only for BP and subs.

That’s how I’m reading it. My question is what specifically is it that makes it “moderated?”

I got this message from Lehigh this morning.

"A non-moderated version, full length barrel, will be available that will fit all Contenders."
any new updates on the above?

I’m guessing it’s probably Haus of Arms that’s placing the order. They’re pretty excited about this merger with SSK and Lehigh. Can’t say that I’m not.
I hope you end up with the 1-20 twist. It seems like a great choice. Any updated idea of when ATF will be done with it? I’m real anxious to find out more about this thing. Pictures would be awesome.

Appears they named it: The Mongrel muzzleloader.

This is a long read but well worth your time. The newsletter will go out 9 am MT tomorrow.

The SSK-50 listing will go live 10/10 at 10 am MT on HausOfArms.com!!! The SSK-50 category is at the top of the page.

There is an old saying that there are those that make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

The HausofArms Team (Marty, Ruth and Eric) spent 2 days in Quakertown, PA, at the HQ of Lehigh Defense surrounded by people that MAKE THINGS HAPPEN daily. Lehigh Defense owner David Fricke, plant manager, Gordy Edwards, Brian Alberts from SSK Firearms, and 2 engineers were ready for us, and as you would expect, Marty was ready with a yellow legal pad with 15 pages of questions. I'm sure at least some of you have read the FB post from Dave where he outlines 41 years of passion with the Original (G1) Contender. That passion comes across in person as real as it did in his post. These people are real, hard working people, not pretentious or arrogant, no fancy entrance with a receptionist, a pure manufacturing facility. They contract work making heart valve parts, oil field parts, machined bullets (some of the wildest most imaginative bullets you'll ever see), parts for the F35 fighter as well as parts for Tesla cars. Okay, let's just say they are diverse. Now throw in the SSK-50 SS frame assemblies for good measure. Are they up to the challenge of reviving a legend? The most versatile platform EVER? No question for me.
Summary:

1) Lehigh Defense has purchased SSK Industries from JD Jones. They did the legwork to bring back the Original (G1) Contender frame as well as the internal parts. This project has been ongoing for about 16 months. The resources committed just for this first phase are incredible.

2) The first item to be released will be the SSK-50 frame, SS with black nitride trigger guard, black oxide hammer and trigger--very sharp (see picture attached). There will initially be 3 frames offered, LYNX face engraved, HausofArms Logo engraved and a flatside, suitable for your own personal engraving. Think of the new frame this way, "THE BEST EDITION OF THE LAST MODEL ORIGINAL CONTENDER PRODUCED!" In addition, it's made of stronger materials and machined to more consistent specs with state of the art CNC technology. The benefits include same chamberings, 100% crossover compatibility with ALL existing G1 Contender stocksets, barrels and accessories, including current production T/C G2 barrels, and the custom barrels from SSK, MGM and Bullberry.

3) The Mongrel muzzleloader platform information will be in a followup email, composed by Eric and is currently at the ATF for approval. I'll just say it's revolutionary.

4) Parts: All internal and external parts will be "coming soon" and offered by HausofArms and SSK Firearms. Expect them to be offered individually, and as kits on multiple online venues.

5) Services: Service work will be offered by SSK Firearms for the Original (G1) Contender frames. This will eventually include the "EASY OPEN TRIGGER GUARD REVISION" whereby your older model Contender can be updated to allow use of the current production barrels. If your Original Contender has a broken part, not functioning or just want it checked over by an expert with the experience to give you the confidence to bring it out of mothballs, those services will be available as well.

6) Ammo, reload support, brass, bullets and dies: Lehigh Defense is perhaps the most creative and innovative bullet manufacturer in the world. Dave Fricke has a stated goal of "MAKING WILDCATTING MAINSTREAM" and therefore, will be in the near future supporting all the reloading parts and pieces necessary as well as ammunition--the JDJ's, TCU's, the WHISPER'S to name a few. Some of these are already starting to appear on the SSK Firearms site.

7) Lifetime Factory Warranty

Summation:

I believe this to be the best news in the single shot world in decades. Passion, resources, ability and a history of excellence of the SSK Firearms team AND an ammunition supplier providing everything necessary to support many of the chamberings that made the original Contender great from the beginning.

I sincerely encourage you to get behind this project and be an active, positive force in the revival of this platform. I've been in business for 10 years now. I've heard your stories you are proud to tell me when you got your first Contender, about THAT Contender trigger, your trips to the factory, the people you knew there. This is a rare opportunity in history to turn the clock back, to start the SSK-50 generation. Dave Fricke, if you are reading this, my hats off to you and your team, and know this, HausofArms is behind you 100%.

Certainly, if you have questions feel free to reach out to me, and I will do my best to answer those questions.

#PeopleOfTC

Encore50, you beat me to it, but you missed the picture.

Super excited about this. Can’t wait to find out more about the ML version

Last edited:
Also the frame goes on sale tomorrow for $275 through Haus of Arms. It will have to wait until early next year but I hope to get one of these frames as well as the dedicated muzzleloader. Might even have to get a barrel for the frame. Been wanting to try the .350 Legend....

Definitely interesting but sure not what I was expecting. Be real interesting to see what they change in the ML version.

Man , I hope the trigger / hammer group is not like a Encore. The Encore's are something else to tweak.

ShawnT, Where's the TK2000 in your mix? Your missing out. LOL kidding of course

Man , I hope the trigger / hammer group is not like a Encore. The Encore's are something else to tweak.

ShawnT, Where's the TK2000 in your mix? Your missing out. LOL kidding of course

In reading through some of the comments on the Facebook post, the trigger weight was a question that came up. Marty from Haus of Arms said he didn't have his trigger pollutants with when they were shooting them but the consensus was a guess at a crisp 4 lbs give or take. It sounds like the Bellm trigger kits for the original contenders should work but they haven't tried one yet to know for sure. Guess I'm the odd one as I kind of enjoy Tinkering with the springs and adjusting trigger pulls in my encores.

I haven't read everything but good info so far.

Grouse, assuming/hoping the barrel can be swapped on the ML, tell them to plan to roll out a .32 version also :lewis:

I haven't read everything but good info so far.

Grouse, assuming/hoping the barrel can be swapped on the ML, tell them to plan to roll out a .32 version also :lewis:

It's my understanding that the SSK-50 frame will work with any original (not G2 only) barrels. There will also be a standard muzzleloader barrel. If you want the smokeless barrel it will be a fixed barrel on a slightly modified frame to allow for some safety considerations. And a .32 would be pretty cool. Honestly I don't see a reason it couldn't be done though it may need to be a custom barrel.

Back