New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Traditions Nitrofire was news to me and Dave at Lehigh Tuesday morning. Though the concepts are similar i personally think Dave has a much better design.

1-Traditions needs a 4473 form Lehigh's will not.
2-Traditions velocity is right around 2000fps with a 26" barrel, Lehigh is getting that velocity with a 17" barrel.
3-Traditions gun weighs 6#, The Lehigh design weigh's 4.5#.
4-Traditions primer case is 3inches long, The Lehigh design is 1.25 inches long and brass.
5-Tradions cost per shot is over $2.00 without primer, Lehigh cost per shot with primer is less then a $1.00
6-And obviously the Contender/Encore platform is a well known and prefered platform over Traditions.

I have photos to put up but my Photobucket account is down.

This still interests me a little. At a 1.25” case, what powder are you using? I believe you had said originally it would be smokeless, but then said it likely won’t be. So even using BH209 a 1.25” powder column seems awful short to be able to achieve much speed.
Can you answer a few questions?
- Are the brass cartridges reusable or do they have to be purchased exclusively from Lehigh or similar?
- Is it going to be one or two set powder charges or will there be some ability to tailor a load?
- It’s been discussed with the Nitrofire that there’s a concerning space between barrel and bullet. How does the Lehigh address this?

This still interests me a little. At a 1.25” case, what powder are you using? I believe you had said originally it would be smokeless, but then said it likely won’t be. So even using BH209 a 1.25” powder column seems awful short to be able to achieve much speed.
Can you answer a few questions?
- Are the brass cartridges reusable or do they have to be purchased exclusively from Lehigh or similar?
- Is it going to be one or two set powder charges or will there be some ability to tailor a load?

- It’s been discussed with the Nitrofire that there’s a concerning space between barrel and bullet. How does the Lehigh address this?

1- They are not reusable.

2- We are working with two different loads right now. One is with sabots, the other is shooting sabots.

3-The Lehigh version the case doesnt change right now with either load. A veggie wad type material fills the void in the case. The bullet is always on top of the brass case.

1- They are not reusable.

2- We are working with two different loads right now. One is with sabots, the other is shooting sabots.

3-The Lehigh version the case doesnt change right now with either load. A veggie wad type material fills the void in the case. The bullet is always on top of the brass case.

Number 2 should say, we are working with two loads right now. One is for shooting sabots, the other is shooting sabotless.

What about cleaning? If it’s not using smokeless and has the two pins through the barrel to seat the bullet on, how do you adequately clean around those?

What about cleaning? If it’s not using smokeless and has the two pins through the barrel to seat the bullet on, how do you adequately clean around those?

I don't think we have talked about cleaning cause it's so clean. I take a patch on a wire brush to clean around the pins. It works pretty simple if you needed to clean and oil once a year or so.

As far as powders we have been testing many different ones. Nothing is set in stone right now which is best.

I just received a 17" 1/18' twist barrel the other day to test. We are still working on powders, ideal length, and accuracy with all bullets. I will see if Sabotloader can put a pick up for me since my photobucket is down.

Tom is having problems with Photobucket so he sent this picture for me to post in this thread'

Lehigh-ML.jpg

It is really a nice looking rifle!

I have the stainless cougar frame. I’d like to have that Camo stock to go with it. I’d be interested in trying that barrel out but not sure it will be an immediate pickup since it’s not legal for MN ML season.

Really like the frame, is it compatible with regular encore type barrels where powder and bullet load from the muzzle? Or just the new design?

It's using smokeless. I was told 1850FPS and the charging modules will only be sold pre loaded.

i thought he had said originally that it was smokeless but then said it wasn’t. But I agree, I don’t see how it would be anything else given those speeds.

Really like the frame, is it compatible with regular encore type barrels where powder and bullet load from the muzzle? Or just the new design?

That frame is a Contender frame. It’s smaller than the encore and more limited in pressures it can withstand, I believe 30k psi where the encore is rated for 55k.

A Contender barrel is about 10 thousandths smaller OD than a Encore. That is the main factor if it were a typical ML or SML with a breach plug. Older Contender frames took a serious beating in 45/70 and even the ML barrels. The G2 might have helped a bit. I didnt stay up on them after i sold mine many years ago. They were awesome with rounds based on 30/30, 35Rem and even 223. So easy to carry and the 30/30 carbine barrels i shot were awesome for a light weight rifle.

If you can't get the velocity up to 2300fps with smokeless no it, I'm staying with the BH 209 and what I have.

One of the readily available subs or something proprietary? I have a hard time seeing any of the ones I can currently buy getting that kind of velocity from that short of barrel... UNLESS... The brass case allows you to pack more powder in to work at higher pressures, but then that would kick like a mule and not explain only needing to clean very occasionally.

Latest posts

Back