New member introduction

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, all-

I just picked up a new CVA Optima pistol. Have been casually looking at them for years, finally scratched the itch.

Pistol is intended to be used as a range toy… not sure whether I’ll ever hunt with it, or not. Planning to put a Burris 2X scope on it, for starters.

I’ll probably fool around with some various Lee R.E.A.L. bullets, T/C Maxi-Balls, and other conicals. Prefer not to litter the range w/sabots, and I shoot into bullet traps to save lead. I do a little bullet casting, so if I find a projectile I like, I’ll be looking for a mold or three. ;)

Have been doing some reading here as a guest, figured I might as well register, and make it “official.”

Hello, all-

I just picked up a new CVA Optima pistol. Have been casually looking at them for years, finally scratched the itch.

Pistol is intended to be used as a range toy… not sure whether I’ll ever hunt with it, or not. Planning to put a Burris 2X scope on it, for starters.

I’ll probably fool around with some various Lee R.E.A.L. bullets, T/C Maxi-Balls, and other conicals. Prefer not to litter the range w/sabots, and I shoot into bullet traps to save lead. I do a little bullet casting, so if I find a projectile I like, I’ll be looking for a mold or three. ;)

Have been doing some reading here as a guest, figured I might as well register, and make it “official.”
Hello sir, your intro stated that you do your own casting. May I ask what caliber and weights? My Son has a Pedersoli flintlock with the 1:66 twist and was wanting to try a Lee REAL bullet in 54 caliber in the 320-390gr range with the right amount of hardness to slightly deform and penetrate both shoulders on an elk to a maximum range of 75 yards.

Thanks

Hello sir, your intro stated that you do your own casting. May I ask what caliber and weights? My Son has a Pedersoli flintlock with the 1:66 twist and was wanting to try a Lee REAL bullet in 54 caliber in the 320-390gr range with the right amount of hardness to slightly deform and penetrate both shoulders on an elk to a maximum range of 75 yards.

Thanks

Hi, Michael- welcome to the Forum! 👍

Most of my casting has been round balls (and catfish sinkers!), but I’ve picked up the Lee R.E.A.L. molds in both .50 weights.

Sorry, I don’t cast anything in .54. I’ve avoided buying any guns in .54, just to try to keep this hobby from getting out of control! 😂

I also generally cast with lead that’s as soft as I can find. My hunting is done with jacketed bullets in sabots, so my cast bullets are largely an exercise is cheap shooting!

If you post over in our Bullet Casting subforum, you might find someone with experience, who can help you out. Do a search, and you might even find specific posts that address you needs!

Bullet Casting

Good Luck!

Hi, Michael- welcome to the Forum! 👍

Most of my casting has been round balls (and catfish sinkers!), but I’ve picked up the Lee R.E.A.L. molds in both .50 weights.

Sorry, I don’t cast anything in .54. I’ve avoided buying any guns in .54, just to try to keep this hobby from getting out of control! 😂

I also generally cast with lead that’s as soft as I can find. My hunting is done with jacketed bullets in sabots, so my cast bullets are largely an exercise is cheap shooting!

If you post over in our Bullet Casting subforum, you might find someone with experience, who can help you out. Do a search, and you might even find specific posts that address you needs!

Bullet Casting

Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply Sir. Now I know where to look.

Latest posts

Back