Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encore4me

Reaction score
Hay everyone first time posting but have been reading for a while.
IMG_0793.jpg

Here is a pic of a doe I shot this year with my Encore. I shot two times this year with this gun and got two deer, the gun is very accurate but these bullets I'm not too sure about. What is every one elses openion on T/C Shockwaves 250 gr.?

Matt

I've had great success with the 250-grain Shockwaves both with accuracy and performance. What haven't you liked about them?

I agree with the accuracy but none of the deer I have shot has left any type of blood trail. I have shot 4 deer in the last three years, all were hit in the chest, all fell within 50 yards, but not a single drop of blood untill the deer was found. I am worried that I wont find the deer as easy and there wont be any blood to follow. All of my shots have been high (3/4) up, lung shots, so maybe there wont be a blood trail untill the chest cavity fills up, by then the deer will die. I was thinking that I should try to shoot lower in the chest. Any thoughts?

Matt

encore4me said:
I agree with the accuracy but none of the deer I have shot has left any type of blood trail. I have shot 4 deer in the last three years, all were hit in the chest, all fell within 50 yards, but not a single drop of blood untill the deer was found. I am worried that I wont find the deer as easy and there wont be any blood to follow. All of my shots have been high (3/4) up, lung shots, so maybe there wont be a blood trail untill the chest cavity fills up, by then the deer will die. I was thinking that I should try to shoot lower in the chest. Any thoughts?

Matt

If you want a blood trail yes! If you just want dead dead....obviously not!

Nice pic encore. In my experience broadside shots will usually allow the bullet to punch all the way through. I prefer to shoot in the lower middle part of the body for a heart/lung shot and good exit hole will leave a blood trail especially if it is in the lower half. With that said however I have killed only 4 deer with a muzzleloader..all with 250 grain shockwave/sst. 1st..6pt lower neck shot with big 6's omega, full penetration, deer dropped in tracks, 2nd...spike high shoulder shot with knight extreme, full penetration, dropped in tracks, both were broadshide, 3rd...8pt front shot with 10mlII..deer had head down feeding..shot centered neck & body...dropped in tracks..almost no blood, 4th..6pt chest shot with 10mlII, deer dropped in tracks, no blood. So although a chest shot may be immediately lethal you probably won't see much blood. I did let one deer get away but that was a long shot placed too high. I attribute that to my mistake in placing the shot where I wanted. I have been very pleased with the sst's accuracy and performance on game. Deer didn't complain about them either. :)

TC Shockwaves

Hi Guys:

I shot a 190 class Booner with a TC Shockwave 250 grainer. I believe I was shooting almost 2100 FPS.... have to Chrono this load yet.

The shot was at 165 long yards, and there wasn't a drop of blood. The big buck ran almost 70 yards, straight away. I couldn't see the direction he ran because of the powder cloud. I was using 130 grains of T7 pellets.

It was a behind the shoulder shot, inch or two higher than midway. When I did the autopsy the lungs were mush and blown back into the paunch. Never found the bullet, was lucky to find the deer.

I can't complain about the accuracy of the TC SW's but they seem to blow up pretty easy. I would feel better I think with a Barnes Spitfire 245 grain solid copper bullet. That is what I am going to play with in my new 10ML.

Regards.... Jim P.

Re: TC Shockwaves

PAHunter said:
Hi Guys:

I shot a 190 class Booner with a TC Shockwave 250 grainer. I believe I was shooting almost 2100 FPS.... have to Chrono this load yet.

The shot was at 165 long yards, and there wasn't a drop of blood. The big buck ran almost 70 yards, straight away. I couldn't see the direction he ran because of the powder cloud. I was using 130 grains of T7 pellets.

It was a behind the shoulder shot, inch or two higher than midway. When I did the autopsy the lungs were mush and blown back into the paunch. Never found the bullet, was lucky to find the deer.

I can't complain about the accuracy of the TC SW's but they seem to blow up pretty easy. I would feel better I think with a Barnes Spitfire 245 grain solid copper bullet. That is what I am going to play with in my new 10ML.

Regards.... Jim P.
PAHUNTER, Try the 250 or 300 grn XTPs, with AA5744, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the terminal performance of these bullets.I could not get the barnes spitfire to group well in my HB Sav.You may have different results though.The XTPs have accounted for 6 very dead deer this year,5 died in their tracks, and momentum carried the big bodied 8 point about 20 yds on a downhill nose slide. Shots varied in ranges from Buck at 40 yds to the does up 160 yds. They flat out perform!

My opinion, for what it's worth, on the SST's(SW's) and XTP's. When I first started hunting with a muzzleloader was shooting 300 XTP's out of my old inline. Each deer I shot left a tremendous blood trail and was easily able to follow it 70, 80 or 90 yds to the dead animal. Since I bought my savage 2 seasons ago I've shot 5 deer with 250 SST. Didn't have to follow a blood trail as the only one went 20 yds, the rest dropped in their tracks, or within a few feet. The farthest was shot at 165 yds and the closest was 95. All were shot from different angles and in each case, with the XTP's and the SST's the lungs were hit. I personally like the SST's.

For now I'm sticking with the SST's. They are very accurate in my gun, and have resulted in many dead deer. I agree somewhat about the blood trail, but if you hit them right, they don't travel at all. With the accuracy that the gun gives me, I can pick and choose where I hit the deer. If there is no snow on the ground and the deer might cause a hard tracking job, I'll hit 'em with a high shoulder shot and they drop in their tracks. If there is snow on the ground like there is now, I'll aim a bit further back not to ruin any meat and punch thru both lungs. The snow shows any blood easily, and they usually don't go more than 30 Yds. Now, the velocity on impact matters, because Hornady designed them for impacts under 2200 or 2300 fps I believe. Anything over that, and they tend to act as a varmint bullet - massive destruction on impact, but not a whole bunch of penetration, especially if a major bone is hit. The doe that I took yesterday was on the smaller side, so I aimed so I'd miss both shoulders, but still thru the lungs. The SST (Shockwave Blem, actually) also took out part of the liver as it went thru her. The blood trail was a 1.5' x 3' spray as she ran, with a spray at every bound, and she only bounded 25 Yds before piling up. She was about 50 Yds away, and my MV is right under 2400 fps. Not much left of the lungs, and the part of the liver that was hit looked like it went thru a meat grinder.

Now, for an animal that is tougher than a deer, I definately would use a different bullet.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Has anyone tried the bonded Shockwaves? I have seen them in mags. but not in stores. I will be anxious to hear reports on these, especially if they shoot as good as my regular 250 gr ones.

Matt

I've heard from a few people that they don't group as well. I just picked up some so I'll run them through the Omega in the next week and see how my gun likes them.

Bonded Shockwaves?

Hi Guys:

When did they come out with Bonded Shockwaves?

Where can I purchase them?

Regards... Jim P

Re: Bonded Shockwaves?

PAHunter said:
Hi Guys:

When did they come out with Bonded Shockwaves?

Where can I purchase them?

Regards... Jim P

They come out with them about 6 mo's ago and only became available in the last month or so. I think Cabelas and Bass Pro has them so far.

Back