New mould for 45 cal 500 gr bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
I havent been getting the results i want with the 451 bullshop 488 gr bullet . I dont know if it will be any better but i bought a Pedersoli mould for 500 gr 45 cal bullet . Probably be a couple weeks before i get any cast . Time will tell if things improve

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,370
for what rifle, what bore, what groove?

From my experience I would try to bump the hardness of the lead to around 8 BHN. With a 500 gr you might go 9.

edmehlig said:
Take a look at a post White Super 91 .451. I posted several pictures of targets where I used 65-70gr 777-3F with my 451 Whites with these 520gr conicals. The mold says 510gr, but my bullets came out weighing 520. The mold for these bullets can purchased from Accurate Molds. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 510M-D.png
Looks really good . If i am unsuccessful with the Pedersoli mould i will try that one. Right now since i have so much invested in the pedersoli mould i have to give it my best try and hope it shoots good . I probably should have looked at other moulds first but i figured maybe since this mould was made specifically for the creedmore and whitworth that it might be the answer . Time will tell .

What size does that accurate mould cast? .451 i presume . my bore is .450 with .006 grooves . I have to size down to .449

They came out measuring 452. But I sized them with my Lee.452 sizing die and they came out measuring 451.5 which is perfect for my White's with a 1-20 twist.

Were the No Excuse bullets too loose? I have the Pedersoli mold, it works fine in many of my bullet rifles. The Lyman 457121 has always been a top performer for me whether used in the Volunteer, Whitworth, Navy Arms Rigby, etc. I was shooting the Lee 459-405-HB sized .450" (4 different dies to get it there) this morning in my Whitworth. I had never tried a hollow base bullet in that rifle and it worked well. I just got in a LBT 450gr. (.451") mold with the Marlin nose profile this week. It's just too hot to fire up the furnace.

admiral said:
Were the No Excuse bullets too loose? I have the Pedersoli mold, it works fine in many of my bullet rifles. The Lyman 457121 has always been a top performer for me whether used in the Volunteer, Whitworth, Navy Arms Rigby, etc. I was shooting the Lee 459-405-HB sized .450" (4 different dies to get it there) this morning in my Whitworth. I had never tried a hollow base bullet in that rifle and it worked well. I just got in a LBT 450gr. (.451") mold with the Marlin nose profile this week. It's just too hot to fire up the furnace.
Actually No Excuses and bullshops need to be sized down .002 . I just am trying to get better groups and neither the 460 or 488 gave me what i wanted . I am hoping the Pedersoli mould will produce a bullet that shoots sub Moa .

admiral said:
I was shooting the Lee 459-405-HB sized .450" (4 different dies to get it there) this morning in my Whitworth. I had never tried a hollow base bullet in that rifle and it worked well
Is that Whitworth a Pedersoli? If so it should be pretty much the same as my Tryon Creedmore as far as bullet requirements .
I have to size to .499 .

No not Pedersoli. I have two Whitworths, a 1st generation Birmingham Parker Hale and a Euro Arms version. From what I understand Pedersoli bought the barrel tooling from Euro Arms who bought it from PH. There is no difference in accuracy between the two, both shoot great.

The Pedersoli mold looks very similar to the Lyman Volunteer mold (Ed pointed out - 451114)
One would think the 460 & 488gr bull shop should work in the 1:21 twist. I wonder what the hardness of the bull shot bullets are? For me, I've had much more luck with softer bullets in ML, than hard.
As you probably know, lube, wad and powder will make differences.
Good luck.

52Bore said:
The Pedersoli mold looks very similar to the Lyman Volunteer mold (Ed pointed out - 451114)
One would think the 460 & 488gr bull shop should work in the 1:21 twist. I wonder what the hardness of the bull shot bullets are? For me, I've had much more luck with softer bullets in ML, than hard.
As you probably know, lube, wad and powder will make differences.
Good luck.
I thought the 488 would be the answer because the old mould Pedersoli had for it was a 485 gr bullet but the best groups i could get was 2 inches at 100 yards . I tried 60,65and 70 gr both with and without a wad . Pyrodex p and triple 7 3 f . I dont have any real black powder right now . I would liketo get moa or sub moa if possible .I am hoping the heavier bullet will achieve that , if not then i will have to live with it as is .

I tell ya that 510gr mold that casted 520gr bullets for me was the MOST consistent accurate bullet that I ever shot out of my .451 White M97 or M98 with either 65 or 70gr of 777-3F. I think it could be because the bullets were approx 1.320 in length and maybe the length had something to do with stabilizing them better at longer ranges?

edmehlig said:
I tell ya that 510gr mold that casted 520gr bullets for me was the MOST consistent accurate bullet that I ever shot out of my .451 White M97 or M98 with either 65 or 70gr of 777-3F. I think it could be because the bullets were approx 1.320 in length and maybe the length had something to do with stabilizing them better at longer ranges?
Sounds good , i might try that mould . I have some Whites , so it might be good to have anyway .

If possible I would suggest that you get some real black powder to try before trying other bullets/molds. Black powder has many times shown the best accuracy with big chucks of lead in my experience.

Back