New Thompson Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Well, New to me.
I couldn't hep myself tonight, this just seemed like a very good deal. I did confirm with the seller , no "K" in the serial number and it is not a kit gun.
So I hit the "Buy It Now" Button.

Thompson Hawken

Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" :)  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?

Rick N Bama said:
Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" :)  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?
Click on the Red Hawken link in the OP for picks.
I will post up more picks when it gets here.
If the serial number starts with a "K" it is a kit rifle.
Thompson sold a lot of finished rifles and a lot of rifles in kit form for the end user to finish building.

I'd say its factory. At some point someone may have stripped the finish and done a much better job as the wood and finish is superb compared to the tc stuff. The lock panels are correct for a factory finish gun.

Congrats! I bought one from an individual a month ago, it had a few problems that were an easy fix. Can't beat a new gun day!

On another forum one poster is a real stickler for historical accuracy really went off on TC in general and TC Hawkens in particular. He made many points about how those guns are not real "Hawkens".

Me, I don't care. They are closer to the guns carried by the pioneers in their covered wagons headed west across the great plains and into Oregon and California. But they are wrongly called Hawkens.

But they are darn good guns. I have owned 3 or so of them and about 5 Renegade rifles. As far as I am concerned they are the "Rugers" of BP guns. Almost unbreakable and good shooters if loaded correctly. Very nice gun you have there. It will last you a lifetime.

I just redid a Renegade rifle that was a kit gun and the first builder screwed it up pretty bad. They rounded off the lock panels and left so much wood on the forearm that the barrel wedge barely made it through the gun. Here are a few pictures of it. I have it for sale on GB right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788591547

Those TC Hawkens and New Englander and Renegade rifles may not have been what the Mountain Men carried. But if they had of had them they would have used them.

Thats for you Buck. :evil: :Scucks: :blah:

You betcha....the Mountain Men would have jumped on a TC Hawken in a heartbeat if something like it was available then. Carrying on horseback would have been a lot easier with the lighter and shorter barrels from some of the stuff they used back then. 
A TC Hawken might not be the absolute best there is out there for any usage, but it is a pretty good middle ground weapon and does okay for most usage. I have owned a number of them over the years, but don't currently. I was sorry to see production stopped.
If more states would adopt the regs like they should, limiting muzzleloader hunting to side locks, they would probably become available again.

Yep, I am all for locking down the use of inline rifles and making it sidelock only. Whats the point of having a primitive season if you aren't going to use a primitive style gun? At least limit it to open sights only. It wouldn't bother me if only flintlocks were allowed. I would buy a good one and hunt my butt off with it.

I am the weapon. The gun is just a tool.

My Hawken is finally on it way, got the tracking number and it should be here this coming Monday.
I know it is not a real Hawken, but close enough for me.

I am checking out TVM for a Leman.
Going to see if they make any Half stock rifles.
Is there any builders out there that make a repro Hawken that won't make me refi my home

Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?

BigAl52 said:
Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?
I would like to stay under a grand, that's why I was looking at the TVM kits.
However my work working skills are not very good.
Their completed rifles are not bad at $1,250

Ive talked several builders and many of the kits are right at or over a grand for just the parts. Stith kits along with Track of the Wolf kits will run you right at that. Al

Hylander I have seen some nice half stock rifles for sale on Track Of The Wolf for just a little over your budget. Built and ready to go. I don't think the Hawken style rifles are as popular now as the full stock flint guns. But I could be wrong.

And after all the reading I have done I think I would prefer the Leman over the Hawken. They are just as historically accurate and maybe a tad lighter in weight. Neither one is ever a bad choice though.

Hawken arrived today  :D
This rifle is like brand spanking new, not a mark and looks to be unfired.
Hopefully a range report tomorrow.

pix24710.jpg

20181010.jpg

I look on GB all the time and see quite a few rifles like your gun listed as unfired. The TC hawkens are excellent rifles and built like a tank. You will enjoy that rifle for a lifetime.

Well, Initial range report not good at all.
First off the nipple started peening right off to point of unuable after only 5 rounds, had to file and reshape it.
Shooting started great, first shot at 25yds. Dead center bull, next shot right next to it.
Moved to 50yds. and was all over the place.
Some patches blown apart.
60gr. FF
.490 ball
.020 pillow ticking, olive oil.
Tight fit.
About 3" groups
Up'ed it to 70gr. and the patches blew apart, groups 10-12" spread

Going to Joann's fabric today to get some .013 Ticking
I believe the T/C's need more ball and less patch.
From my last data with TC's I got best groups with .495 ball and .013 patch.
Will try:
50, 60 and 70gr. FF
.495 Ball
.013 ticking with pure Lamb Tallow.

Still going to get a slow twist, deep groove barrel.

Next time before you insert the ball use one lubed patch in the bore just past the muzzle. Then seat the patched ball. The extra patch works like a firewall. The extra patch will be burned up after firing but my ball patches look like they could be relubed and reused. I have been doing this for years and it really works.

Back