New Thompson Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigAl your thoughts are spot on. I actually started with a Cabelas Hawken but a copy of the TC rifle. To my eyes it looked good. I looked like a mountain man rifle. It loaded like one and shot a big round ball and did a damn good job of it once I learned how to load it. I killed an Elk with that rifle. And I have owned several TC guns in the past. The one I regret selling the most was the 36 caliber Seneca I had. What a great little rifle that was. But I know where the guy lives that bought it. He said he has never fired it. I may have to offer him a nice profit and get my old gun back.

I would to have a more accurate traditional style rifle. A TVM Southern rifle looks really good to me. But I don't know if I want to spend the money for one. The rifles I own now are nice and will do everything the TVM will do.

By the way I have been meaning to ask, is that you with your Super Cub in your avitar? For a while the guy I took a few lessons from was flying the second oldest airworthy J-3 in the U.S. He is over 80 now and I suppose a little too shakey to be flying. But I would love to ride in a cub. I fly RC models and I have modeled more Cubs than any other plane. One was a quarter scale with a 9'3" wingspan. A big baby to fly.

I started with a TC Hawken. Started going to shoots and it has been all fun for over 40 years. Sadly I have sold all the store bought rifles and have only custom longrifles that I built. Wish I still had some of the oud rifles back.

Jim

BigAl52 said:
Comments made on other forums about accuracy of the TC being a Hawken. 
Back in the late 80's at the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association Championship Shoot at Leadville CO. we had some of the shooters crying about "its another Ron Long shoot" (because Ron was the top guy to beat). I'm President of the association, when the 6 guy came to me about this I got pissed.

I went to "Traders Row" talked to the dealers making a deal with them for (7) TC Hawkens in .50 caliber (most popular caliber), the State would buy these guns. If need be I'll cover the costs.

We setup a long table and placed the boxes on the table, called the six cry babies over and let them stare at the (7) boxes. Then told them they needed to pick a gun, last gun left is the one Ron Long will shoot. Gave each of them a practice target and a match target. This was on a Wed. afternoon, the Ron Long Shoot would be held at 11AM on Thur (next day). They had that afternoon and the next morning using whatever combination of round ball/patch and powder they wanted. 

The match (50 yards) went well with everyone shooting the same production TC in the same caliber, I told them "no filing on these guns as they would be used as shoot prizes at other events." 

Needless to say Ron shot a perfect score 50-XXXXX, the best next score was a 45-XX, the rest were way below that. No more crying at our events.  The Denver Post wrote "Mr. Ron Long of our city shot a perfect score."  

That didn't set well with some, so in the next CSMLA Journal I wrote. "No matter what the match, if Ron Long is involved (taking part) whether shooting, rock throwing or a spitting contest, he'll kick your butt."  "The reason I say this is he practices for whatever he enters, and that's the key to his success, period."

I always worked to beat the ones that won almost all the time. It took work but after a number of years practicing I started to out score many of them. I still go to a few shoots but I no longer worry about out shooting anyone. I don't practice but only at shoots and I am there just to have fun now days. I still win my fair share of matches. Seams some people want to complain rather than put in the work in 
 it takes.

Jim

mlrifleNY said:
I always worked to beat the ones that won almost all the time. It took work but after a number of years practicing I started to out score many of them. I still go to a few shoots but I no longer worry about out shooting anyone. I don't practice but only at shoots and I am there just to have fun now days. I still win my fair share of matches. Seams some people want to complain rather than put in the work in it takes.

Jim
I'm like you at this age and agree about those that don't put in the time at the range. I go to the local range and see guys either shooting a Glock (held on it's side) and not hitting an archery target at 25 yards or those just standing around bad mouthing the guy shooting.  

The fastest way to make them move on is fire a few rounds of black powder then they are telling me "that gun stinks".   :blah:

BigAl52 said:
... Im betting there isnt very many guys shooting muzzleloaders that havent had a TC in there house at one time or another...
Oh, noes! I feel like a nerd who hasn't ever seen Star Wars. 
I have not had a TC in my gun safe. ) : 

Should I seek donations? :lol:

Should I seek donations? 
icon_lol.gif

KC it's to late for donations and at 110 years old it just might be to late for most everything. :bounce: 

Jim

Hey Tom
That plane is a Piper PA-12. It belongs to my sister who lives in Covington, Washington. Its a suburb of Kent. It has a larger than stock motor in it and flat gets with the program on take off. I have ridden in that plane up to the San Juan Islands in Northern Washington. She is currently tryin to sell it and has been for about a year. I also use to fly RC but gave it up about 15 years ago. To many hobbies and not enough time.

T/C Hawken 50 cal. was my first muzzle loader back in about 1994
Regardless of originality I have always liked the look and feel of them.
I have owned 3 now and two Lyman GP's, all in 50 cal.
I like the T/C's, just wish they cut the rifling deeper.
I may buy a T/C 45 cal. Hawken locally .
My plan would be to have the 45 rebored to 50 and the 50 rebored to 54.
I know to some it might seem a waste of time and money but it is what I like.

<table style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(222, 222, 222);" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td>
empty.gif
Subject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   
empty.gif
Yesterday at 23:44
</td><td class="post-options" style="text-align: right;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
icon_multiquote_off_en.png

icon_post_quote_en.png

icon_post_edit_en.png

topic_delete2.gif

icon_ip1.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="hr" colspan="2"><hr />
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">"Wait a minute KC I thought I seen you shooting a TC at one of youre shoots a while back while you was showin off that fancy range box." - Big Al

(Hides head)
I am shamed to admit that I mis identified a rifle. I embarrassed my ancestors by thinking a CVA was a TC. (I actually misremembered the brand of an old rifle I had and convinced myself it was a TC. It was a rifle I had had for years and saw no need to look closely again. I 'knew' what I had)

I have received some grief about that. Now, Al's steel trap memory has called me out here, too! Whoa is me! I will never escape the stigma! 
icon_sad.gif

As to my age? That is incorrect. I actually had a birthday. That should read older. I am spry for my age, eh? 
icon_wink.gif
 If mentally questionable...

TC Donations will continue to be accepted. 
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

PS. I also accidentally obliterated Al's original post where he called me out! Sorry, Al.</td></tr></table>

BigAl52 said:
Hey Tom
That plane is a Piper PA-12. It belongs to my sister who lives in Covington, Washington. Its a suburb of Kent. It has a larger than stock motor in it and flat gets with the program on take off. I have ridden in that plane up to the San Juan Islands in Northern Washington. She is currently tryin to sell it and has been for about a year. I also use to fly RC but gave it up about 15 years ago. To many hobbies and not enough time.
I understand. I would sell my planes if I found a buyer. No one wants glow engines anymore. Its all about electric power. I wish I could afford her Cub. But I will have to be happy with the Hanger 9 ARF I have in the box waiting to be put together.

Hylander I say go for it. IIRC there is a TC 45 Hawken on GB right now with a "Rusty" bore and no bidders. Sounds like the perfect rifle for a rebore to me.

Back