New to muzzleloading success!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Death-junky

Reaction score
So I got my first muzzleloader earlier in the year and before I was a strictly rifle hunter. The rifle is a old original knight disc that was in really good shape. I slapped a leupold vx3 on it and went out shooting with 777 fffg and 300 gr SST. The best I could group was 4" and it was a pain in the butt to clean after every shot otherwise accuracy was garbage.
I was not happy at all as I'm use to 1/2" or better groups with my rifle. So I decided to bed and free float the bbr. This made a huge diffrence! I took that 4" group and brought it to a 2" but still had the dirty 7 problem...
Then I found BH209 and MMP salbots with the same 300 gr SST ML bullets. Now I have a 1" at 100 rifle with consistent strings of shots!

So fast forward to muzzleloading season in Saskatchewan from Oct 1 until Oct.31.
We've now punched 2 tags with it! I shot a good meat buck at 225 yards (rangefinder) and My mom harvested a nice 8 point last night with it at 158 yards (rangefinder) needless to say I'm now having lots of fun and enjoying the extended season.
Best part about it is there is no game smell from the bucks. When we hunt in November we mainly just avoid the big bucks because of this.IMG_9214.jpg

That’s Great, congrats to you and your mother. :lewis:

Congrats on the successful kills and welcome to to Modern Muzzleloader! Congrats too on the discovery of the clean world of BH209.

So I got my first muzzleloader earlier in the year and before I was a strictly rifle hunter. The rifle is a old original knight disc that was in really good shape. I slapped a leupold vx3 on it and went out shooting with 777 fffg and 300 gr SST. The best I could group was 4" and it was a pain in the butt to clean after every shot otherwise accuracy was garbage.
I was not happy at all as I'm use to 1/2" or better groups with my rifle. So I decided to bed and free float the bbr. This made a huge diffrence! I took that 4" group and brought it to a 2" but still had the dirty 7 problem...
Then I found BH209 and MMP salbots with the same 300 gr SST ML bullets. Now I have a 1" at 100 rifle with consistent strings of shots!

So fast forward to muzzleloading season in Saskatchewan from Oct 1 until Oct.31.
We've now punched 2 tags with it! I shot a good meat buck at 225 yards (rangefinder) and My mom harvested a nice 8 point last night with it at 158 yards (rangefinder) needless to say I'm now having lots of fun and enjoying the extended season.
Best part about it is there is no game smell from the bucks. When we hunt in November we mainly just avoid the big bucks because of this.View attachment 16905
Good job, congratulations to you and your mother

Congrats on harvesting two nice deer and welcome to the addiction that is muzzle loader hunting.

Back