Nice sized 8pt or 4X4, however you want to call him.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaughlin72

Reaction score
There is about 120 acres over at my uncle's that I hunted about 5 years ago, then they cut all the trees, and I haven't hunted it since then, The lease I am in doesn't have much activity in my area, so I decided to give the old spot a look. It has been growing for the last 4 years, natural growth, wasn't replanted, so its pretty thick. We were able to make a few shooting lanes using a front bucket and bushhog on a tractor. Saturday morning after the hunt I set out a trail cam to see whats walking around. Went back sunday evening to see if anything was on it, and I had 4 missed pics, and this one. I can see myself hunting that area quite a bit more now.
For some of you more experienced hunters, I know its hard to tell by just looking at the pic, but about how old do you think this buck is?
8ptcam.jpg

I do not know how La. deer compare to Ohio deer but here I would guess about 2 1/2.

Jims is probably right. I guess I should have said he's in his 3rd year. I guess we're splitting hairs here.

Updated pic.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking somewhere in the 3 year range. I checked the camera again this evening and had a doe and a spike in night pics, then a good day shot of the same buck in the first pic I posted. I would like to see the one that broke the end of his main beam.
mdgc0002.jpg

short video

Here is the pic just before the video started.
Picturejohnny004.jpg

For those that say that deer caint see the red lights in the dark, I have to disagree. This video comes off of my Cuddeback NoFlash.

Nice buck, does your cuddeback make any noise when it films? I wonder if that is a noise reaction instead of noticing the lights? He sure is skiddish isn't he?

Corpe Nimrod said:
Nice buck, does your cuddeback make any noise when it films? I wonder if that is a noise reaction instead of noticing the lights? He sure is skiddish isn't he?

No, it doesn't make any noise at all, just red leds that flash alternating.(I guess to keep from burning out using the same ones over and over)

He does look skiddish. I have a couple more vids where the deer keep looking at them, but they don't run far from it like he did. I dropped the record time down to 10 secs. I think 30secs was too long, gave him too much time to try and figure out what it was.
One video has my uncle's dog looking at it, then she walks up to it and sticks her nose to it....kinda funny, but that tells me that the animals can see the red lights that they claim they caint see.

Back