Not happy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
For about the past 2 months, I have tried to get my gun sighted in. One thing I have noticed is the groups out of my gun have been getting progressively wider and wider. Today, if I was not within 25 yds, I would not even be on the paper. Bore sited the darn thing twice today, made no difference. I have used iron sights, and tried out 2 different scopes. Scope mounts tight and I swab 1patch w/ T/C 13 and 1or 2 dry patches between each shot. It gets a thorough cleaning at the end day, always. Tried powerbelts, maxihunters, T/C shockwaves (TIGHT), and Hornady SST's 200gr. Nothing is working. :cry:
Unless someone comes up with something else, I think my barrel is crap. Damn straight I'll be calling CVA (it's a Kodiak). This is NOT how I wanted start out in muzzleloading. :evil:

Try not to swab,your barrel might need to be fouled or dirty to acheive tight groups.Sometime barrel is a bit over size and has to be dirty in order to have a thight bullet in it to get good accuracy. :shock:

Black Bull: The only projectile that I would call loose fitting would be the maxihunters. I practically have to stand on my range rod to get the sabots down. I broke one rod while trying to get a shockwave down the bore. I'm using pyrodex. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I had a similar question that was about different sized plastic part of the sabot since they make them in a variety of sizes...

Patrick White suggested removing the breach plug and try different sized sabots by pushing them down the barrel and try and find one that is just tough enough to get down the barrel and use it with the different bullets that you have and see if that might make any difference... MMP sells them you might want to contact them and get some suggestions of what ones might work better and not so hard to force them down the barrel... They sell just the plastic sabots seperate from the complete sabot with the bullet. Might make a difference... I was looking for why they are so many to choose from being they are seeming looking the same but they aren't, multiple sizes are available...

Good Luck...

LFM

Doegirl,

You are not the first to have such furstrations it happens more times then many will admit. The first thing I would suggest is you must be consistent with everything you do down to the smallest detail...everything from swabing (or not) of the barrel to how you load and how much pressure you put on your ramrod. Once you are sure you are doing everything consistenly then if you are not getting the results you want start making small presise changes ie. change the type of amount of powder, change the bullet...but do not make more then one change at a time. Another thing and I think this is a very common mistake people make and that is shoot enough of any certain combo to know in your mind exactly what it is doing for example do not just shoot 1 shot and then try to adjust your scope (chase your zero) shoot enough to find if there is any patern to your problem or if there is now logical reason for what is happening. Either way it will take patients and lots of trail and error. Too ofter I think people new to muzzleloading hear about how great someones muzzleloader is shooting and get fustrated when they cannot get their rifle to do it without lots of work.
Little things can make a big big difference.

One final comment I don't know how big your target is but if you are getting groups or fliers at 25 yrds which are outside of a couple of inches I would say you have a issue...I would first check that something besides the barrel is the cause sounds like something loose or moving as even a bad barrel should shoot 3" groups at 25 yds.

Hope this helps and good luck

I gave my new Kodiak .45 to my son so it has not been shot very much.When sighting in scope we had no problems.About 1' or a little less groups at 50 yards.Load was 2 pryodex pellets,200 gr.xtp,in a harvester sabot.We shot 5 shots cleaned with wire brush and ran clean mop head through it and shot again .did the same every 5 shots.At 100 yd. it shot a little less than 2".About normal for what I would except for the load in a muzzleloader.
PS-was loaded with no lube on sabot or bullet.
PSS-Mississippi now allows a 45-70 single shot during ML season.So he bought one and gave the kodiak back to me.

You may want to try a fresh pound of Triple 7-FFG and see if that helps out.

Other than that, if it wont shoot 348 powerbelts, I would say you have a problem. The 348 or 405 powerbelts shoot well in just about everything out there.

Thanks for your input, guys. I'll give 777 a try. Perhaps the gun isn't pleased with pyrodex. Yes, talk about frustrated! I stapled 6 18X18" targets side by side and tried to achieve some sort of group SOMEWHERE @ 25 yds. Nothing doin. I just quit. After about 4 hours of trying to achieve something for my efforts, I was just about to deposit the rifle in the trash can, sans the brand new scope and rings. I'm new to muzzleloading, but not to shooting. I've never had such trouble with any firearm like I had today... :roll:

Does that barrel have a QLA-type of easy load feature out at the muzzle? Sounds very much like a misaligned QLA and possibly damage at the internal crown.

Get an Ultra Mag and enjoy shooting! :wink:

I will second that! Doegirl, if you can sell that CVA and buy a White rifle, you won't regret it I promise. I bought a White Super 91 in .451 cal. and she will be the last muzzleloader for me, this rifle will outshoot any centerfire rifle I own!! 8)

Underclocked said:
Does that barrel have a QLA-type of easy load feature out at the muzzle? Sounds very much like a misaligned QLA and possibly damage at the internal crown.

Get an Ultra Mag and enjoy shooting! :wink:

Pray tell, what is a QLA?

I will answer that for you. A QLA is thompson center version of a false muzzle. QLA stands for "quick load accurizor" So far no problems with mine in the Encore .50 or System 1 .50 cal..... :roll:

Yes, it does have a false muzzle, about the first 1" of the barrel. I see you guys are gently hinting that I ditch this POS for something a little more high class. Can't disagree. Never again will I allow some clerk at Gander Mt being paid $7.00 an hour select a gun for me :roll: My original choice was a laminate stock Savage ML. He talked me out of it, because they had none in stock. And, being a complete fool and falling for that $140 price tag, I listened to him. I didn't know any better, but now I do. :oops:

sabots

Doegirl if I remember you have a 45 cal. in my 209x45 encore I noticed that the harvester 45 / .400 sabot is just a little smaller and when I load the 200 sst(shockwave) with them it is much better . I also have a tite barrel.
Sundowner

One thing I have noticed is the groups out of my gun have been getting progressively wider and wider.

What was your best groups when you first started?

What powder charge / sabot / bullet?

I would try to go back to that setup and see if it can be duplicated.

If not, something has changed on the gun since that time to cause this issue.

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
One thing I have noticed is the groups out of my gun have been getting progressively wider and wider.

What was your best groups when you first started?

What powder charge / sabot / bullet?

I would try to go back to that setup and see if it can be duplicated.

If not, something has changed on the gun since that time to cause this issue.
90 grains with 195 gr Powerbelts. I cannot duplicate the best group shot with that load (2" @ 50yds). I tried today and and the last two outings. :(

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Looks like you've got some good advice already. Just a note, I've been shooting a .50 CVA Kodiak for the past 2 years and it is more accurate than I can shoot. I use 85 gr. Pyrodex P, 370 gr. T/C Maxiball, Remington Kleenbore primer. With open sights at 100 yds. I usually have groups of 2 inches or less. Sounds like you may have something wrong with your rifle. Good luck.

doegirl said:
For about the past 2 months, I have tried to get my gun sighted in. One thing I have noticed is the groups out of my gun have been getting progressively wider and wider. Today, if I was not within 25 yds, I would not even be on the paper. Bore sited the darn thing twice today, made no difference. I have used iron sights, and tried out 2 different scopes. Scope mounts tight and I swab 1patch w/ T/C 13 and 1or 2 dry patches between each shot. It gets a thorough cleaning at the end day, always. Tried powerbelts, maxihunters, T/C shockwaves (TIGHT), and Hornady SST's 200gr. Nothing is working. :cry:
Unless someone comes up with something else, I think my barrel is crap. Damn straight I'll be calling CVA (it's a Kodiak). This is NOT how I wanted start out in muzzleloading. :evil:

I see you also shot open sights so that eliminates the scope as an issue. That was what I was thinking until I read it again. Send it back to CVA (after contacting them of course) and ask for a 50. They're less finnicky. It means a new selection of bullets but you'll have far more options.

Sorry,

I forgot you had a .45, the 195's should shoot pretty well. Maybe try some heavier powerbelts like 275 and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back