Not happy...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you guys are gently hinting that I ditch this POS for something a little more high class.

I had a Winchester(CVA) Apex .45, for all practical purposes the same rifle as your Kodiak, a couple of years ago for a 3-way .45cal test.. The other two rifles were a Omega .45 and a Disc Elite .45. When first testing the Apex...I really could not shoot a 6-inch group at 100yds and most groups were between 6 and 12 inches! :shock: To this date it is the worst shooting muzzleloader I've ever owned. Needless to say the Omega and Disc Elite shot rings around it! I returned the rifle to CVA and they finally sent me a new one. I left it new in the box and sold it! I'd probably do the same thing if I were you. There are several other guns in the $200 price range that I'd be perfectly happy with...

Well, I just got off the phone with CVA. They told me to use a heavier powerbelt. The tech explained to me that the lighter PB requires a more powder charged to stabilize- (130(?)-150gr of the pellets). Funny, but powerbelt recommends 80-90grains of pyro for their bullets. Will it be worth my while to get 275 gr powerbelts, I dunno. Just kinda apathetic right now 'bout the whole deal.. :cry:

No,

I would stand firm and get your gun returned. They want you to buy MORE of THEIR product. At bare minimum they should send you a package to try at no cost to you.

I would call them back and see what they can do about a return.

Ditto, return it.

You have already wasted your time and hard earned money. No use in putting more money in a sinking ship.

Good Luck. :)

It's going back...Like my friend said over the phone today while discussing the issue. "Don't be shooting it, if it's that far out of whack, who knows what else is wrong with it". He has a point. :shock:

Can't go wrong

Can't go wrong with a TC, White, Knight. NEF, Austin Halek or Savage. All are capable of 1" or less groups @ 100 yds with just a little tweaking and sometimes right out of the box.

return it

Return it I had trouble with the 195 PB'S and could not get them to group usig 130 grs. pyrodex pellets . Went to 100grs. 777 pellets whit Hornady 40-200 gr sst/ml and got the group of three to leave a 3/4 hole .
sundowner

Re: Can't go wrong

skamaniac said:
Can't go wrong with a TC, White, Knight. NEF, Austin Halek or Savage. All are capable of 1" or less groups @ 100 yds with just a little tweaking and sometimes right out of the box.

I'll agree with buying all EXCEPT the Austin & Halleck. While certainly capiable of shooting great groups Austin & Hallecks customer service/quality control seems to have fallen off to such a degree lately that I don't really think you'd be that much better off than with the CVA. Two thumbs up on the rest however! :D

Re: Can't go wrong

big6x6 said:
skamaniac said:

I'll agree with buying all EXCEPT the Austin & Halleck. While certainly capiable of shooting great groups Austin & Hallecks customer service/quality control seems to have fallen off to such a degree lately that I don't really think you'd be that much better off than with the CVA. Two thumbs up on the rest however! :D

Thanks for the heads up on Austin and Halleck. It was one makes I was looking into. One thing I know for sure is it will be a .50 caliber. I'm thinking either TC (Omega) or Savage (smokeless legal in Ohio.)

UPDATE!

Well, I went back to place of purchase (Gander MT). They refunded my money no questions asked. :) After looking at the muzzleloaders they had, I fell in love in with a stainless steel, laminate, T/C Encore in 50 caliber. My bank account is a heck of alot lighter, but I couldn't be any happier. I'll post pics when my camera battery is fully charged. What made choose the T/C Encore is versatility, the warranty and reputation, and plus it's so darn purdy. :p

Well, here it is:
Picture021.jpg
]

Great lookin' Encore! Noticed a left-handed one configured like that over on GunsAmerica a few minutes ago.

Since you got such a classy rifle... you might as well top it off right. :)

Looks like this will do a lot better job than your last one. Sure looks nice... But I will stick with my Knight Disc Elite 50 Cal. Stainless with a Thumbhole Black Synthetic Stock and a Simmons 3.5x10 x44 Scope on it... Using 100grains of T7 and Shockwave 250 grains to start with but have many other bullets to try...

Let us know how it shoots when you get back out to the range to get it going!!!

All The Best...

LFM

I haven't been an Encore fan at all, but I have to admit--that is one of the best looking guns I have seen in a LONG time! I wonder where you can get a stock with that brown and grey/silver laminate. I don't think Boyd's or Richards Microfit have that color pattern, but it sure is sharp!

Very Nice !!! :yeah:

You made a major upgrade you won't regret it.

I do not own an encore, but some of my friends do, and they shoot very well.

Be sure to wet and dry patch between each shot for good groups, as this is what my friends do on theirs. Also it seems the encores tend to develop a crud ring at the breech plug. The wet and dry patches between shots will help there also.

Also lube (Anti-Seize) the breech plug very well, I can not begin to count how many times my friends stick theirs.

Congratulations and good shooting. :)

PS: What kinds of scope are you putting on it?

Congratulations, now your talkin Doegirl!! Next best thing to a White, but you got a lifetime warranty to boot.
My personal recommendation is to put a steel Warne base on it with medium Warne rings. I have a Leupold VXII 3X9X40 on mine too. My Encore loves .452 300gr. XTP's and Harvester crushrib sabots, with two pyrodex pellets, that load will put three touching holes in the bull at 100 yds.

Now that's a LOT better! I'm betting that sucker will SHOOT! It really looks GREAT! That was really great for your dealer to refund your money and really great for you to purchase form them once again!

Keep us posted!

Back