O-Ring life span

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those that use an O-Ring in your breech plug. How long do the unused ones last if stored in a plastic bag? I have had mine now for about 9-10 years they have never been exposed to sunlight or extreme temperatures. However today they were only lasting one shot. I'm not sure if they were rupturing or falling out on ejection. They used to last 12-15 shots.

I have a zip-bag of the o-rings that stays sealed in my range kit. They're in the five year old age and are supple. I just replaced one a couple weeks ago and the rings were very pliable. They're neoprene so if they get stored in a bag that doesn't zip closed they can dry out and get stiff with time. Is that bag yours are in sealed or just folded over?

The o-rings i use are stored in a plastic box that doesn't seem air tight. The o-rings appear to be the same as they were when new several years ago. The only time they malfunction is when i shoot too many shots, which would be around 25 or more.

My .45 cal gun needs an o-ring to shoot clean. I'm shooting up to 110 grains [by volume] of 209 powder behind a harvester sabot and 200 grain 40 cal xtp. I get right around 30 shots out of an o-ring.

Back