# of shots before removing BP and clean?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel M

Reaction score
Just started shooting a CVA ML that I won at a QDMA banquet. How many shots can you fire through a ML at the range before you remove the breech plug and clean? I've seen one respone to this question saying 25-40 shots. I'd like to see more feedback on this question. Thanks.

Joel M said:
Just started shooting a CVA ML that I won at a QDMA banquet. How many shots can you fire through a ML at the range before you remove the breech plug and clean? I've seen one respone to this question saying 25-40 shots. I'd like to see more feedback on this question. Thanks.

I think you must be refering to posts about the Savage muzzleloader. In no way would shoot that many shots with a regular muzzleloader using T7.

Joel M said:

You definately need to clean it before storing it no matter if you've shot once or 50 times. As for how many shots you can fire in a row before cleaning, that's an individual thing for each gun but never put a muzzleloader away, other than a smokeless, at the end of the day without cleaning if it has been fired.

clarifying question

Let me clarify the question a little. When you're target shooting at the range with a ML using 777, how many rounds can you reasonably shoot through the gun until you should remove the breech plug and thoroughly clean the barrel before continuing to shoot. Most people have discussed using a spit patch after every shot but there is also a point at which the breech plug is removed and the barrel is thoroughly cleaned. Although this may be a personal decision there must be a general range of shots that could be recommended e.g. 3-5 or 5-10, etc. I understand that you should clean any gun after you are finished shooting it and will be putting it in storage. If it is a personal decision then what are the most important factors that influence the decision.

A solvent patch followed by a dry one between shots has always been plenty for me. I'd be more concerned withn the breechplug sticking than anything. Every 15 shots or so I check it.

Re: clarifying question

Joel M said:
Let me clarify the question a little. When you're target shooting at the range with a ML using 777, how many rounds can you reasonably shoot through the gun until you should remove the breech plug and thoroughly clean the barrel before continuing to shoot. Most people have discussed using a spit patch after every shot but there is also a point at which the breech plug is removed and the barrel is thoroughly cleaned. Although this may be a personal decision there must be a general range of shots that could be recommended e.g. 3-5 or 5-10, etc. I understand that you should clean any gun after you are finished shooting it and will be putting it in storage. If it is a personal decision then what are the most important factors that influence the decision.

I've never seen a need to pull the breech plug until I returned home to clean the gun prior to storage no matter how much shooting I do at the range.

He's talking about using 777. You've gotta pull the plug out every now and then with that.

Patrick White said:
He's talking about using 777. You've gotta pull the plug out every now and then with that.

I never do with my Omega or Encore even if I shoot 40 or 50 times! Never had any problems with the breech plug sticking but like you say, guess it couldn't hurt to check occasionally.

sheephunterab said:
Patrick White said:

I never do with my Omega or Encore even if I shoot 40 or 50 times! Never had any problems with the breech plug sticking but like you say, guess it couldn't hurt to check occasionally.

I have frozen a breech plug shooting T7 out of a Encore before with less than 20 shots. Since I started using the anti-seize grease that I use on my Savages I haven't had any problem.

It sounds like the main point regarding the breech plug and its removal has to do with avoiding the possibility of freezing the BP. In that case testing the BP with a wrench every few shots seems like it would be sufficient unless there are other problems to consider like fouling of the barrel or the BP itself. I use teflon tape instead of the anti seize grease, its easier to handle and not as messy.

Re: clarifying question

Joel M said:
When you're target shooting at the range with a ML using 777, how many rounds can you reasonably shoot through the gun until you should remove the breech plug and thoroughly clean the barrel before continuing to shoot.

There is no limit that I have ever found-- including 150 shot days. It's not that T7 cannot create slag (the crud ring that Underclocked invented), but it can be addressed from the muzzle. In guns with non-removeable breechplugs, it most always is.

If sticking is a concern, use Blue Moly Never-Seez and just crack the plug 180 degrees and retighten after the first 5 shots.

teflon tape

Started having a problem using the teflon tape instead of anti seize grease. It stuck into the threads a little after removing the BP and was a little difficult to clean out so I'm retracting my recommendation for the tape and going back to the grease.

Randy,

What is it exactly that you do from the muzzle end to address the slag buildup.

JM

I just started shooting T7 in my MK-85.....90 grs underneath Barnes 300 gr MZ bullet. I have been using Permatex Anti-Seize lube (conforms to MIL-A-907E (133A). The BP was difficult getting out after about 6 shots. Is this a good anti-seize lube or is the blue moly or other brand better?

scauper said:
I just started shooting T7 in my MK-85.....90 grs underneath Barnes 300 gr MZ bullet. I have been using Permatex Anti-Seize lube (conforms to MIL-A-907E (133A). The BP was difficult getting out after about 6 shots. Is this a good anti-seize lube or is the blue moly or other brand better?

I use the copper colored anti-seize in T7 guns and I don't have any problems.

Latest posts

Back