Old Maxi-Balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken 45 from approx '74 or '75. I obtained some T/C Maxi-Balls prelubed in yellow boxes. Since it is from T/C, I assume the yellow lube is Natural Lube 1000 Bore Butter. The lube is dried out and flaking off but significant amount/pieces/dust remain in the grooves. Any suggestions on how to remove the ols brittle waxy lube? Bullets in otherwise good shape and would like to reuse as is if not too difficult to remove. If no good way to remove then I can just melt em down and recast. The 45 Hawken is not supported anymore so buying new is not an option

I would use a stiff (but not wire) bristle brush, and I bet most of the remaining lube will come right out. Hitting them lightly with a hair dryer or heat gun should remelt the lube, and get a thin remaining layer sticking to the lead.

Relube with product of your choice, but Bore Butter would be an obvious choice, if you have any lying around. Using Bore Butter would help eliminate the possibility (however unlikely) the two different lubes reacting with one another.

I would use a stiff (but not wire) bristle brush, and I bet most of the remaining lube will come right out. Hitting them lightly with a hair dryer or heat gun should remelt the lube, and get a thin remaining layer sticking to the lead.

Relube with product of your choice, but Bore Butter would be an obvious choice, if you have any lying around. Using Bore Butter would help eliminate the possibility (however unlikely) the two different lubes reacting with one another.

I will give that a try as well. I do have a couple of tubes of T?C's Bore Butter
Thanks!

I have a T/C Hawken 45 from approx '74 or '75. I obtained some T/C Maxi-Balls prelubed in yellow boxes. Since it is from T/C, I assume the yellow lube is Natural Lube 1000 Bore Butter. The lube is dried out and flaking off but significant amount/pieces/dust remain in the grooves. Any suggestions on how to remove the ols brittle waxy lube? Bullets in otherwise good shape and would like to reuse as is if not too difficult to remove. If no good way to remove then I can just melt em down and recast. The 45 Hawken is not supported anymore so buying new is not an option
I use my heat gun (Harbor Freight) and lube with NASA modified bottom groove (only) . And I make them/lubed if interested/Ed

Latest posts

Back