Omega firing pin pocket rust warning!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbiddle

Reaction score
Has anyone disassembled the firing pin housing on thier omega and found excessive rust? There's no mention at all of disassembly or cleaning of this part in the manual and I'm sure most people wouldn't even think about it.

It comes apart by removing one small screw. Inside is the firing pin and a spring, and I was surprised how much rust had accumulated in there. I can see where it would get so bad as to sieze the parts together making it imposible to disassemble.

If you haven't taken your's apart, you may want to check it out.

Yeah. T/C conveniently forgets to mention this in their manual. I complained a long time ago to no avail. I've got diagrams somewhere on my old PC.

It needs to be done before putting the gun away after the season, preferably it's been done right before the final sight in too.

sbiddle

Here is one set of Patrick's pictures....

OmegaBolt.jpg

Firing pin maintenance became a regular thing with me when my Omega's firing pin did seize up after sitting in the rack for a couple months a few years ago.

Now I take the breech face/firing pin bushing out and clean everything after every couple trips to the range. At least with the Omega the trigger and firing pin assembly are easy to access. All inline rifles should probably have their firing pins and "guts" cleaned regularly, but some are harder to disassemble.

Yeah, that's the old style pin. It's similar to Encores since they also need cleaning in this area.

The new style uses a large screw/housing piece that the guts go in. You depress the firing pin with a screwdriver and turn the housing out.:

Well I guess, I did not read the instructions careful, I just automatically cleaned it periodical because I thought it should be done; I never realized it was not in there. I guess that's what happens when you work on to many guns for to many years. Lee

Almost the same situation with the Encores, don't know about the Triumphs. At least TC provided a way to clean that area - some do not.

I've been disassembling, cleaning and oiling every other time I shoot my Omega.If I put in a long range session it gets done reguardless...

I've cleaned mine 3 times in 3 years.
Very little to clean after extended range sessions with pinnacle or BH.
I leave a light coat of CLP on it, maybe the CLP helps.

Tim

Has anyone disassembled the firing pin housing on thier omega and found excessive rust? There's no mention at all of disassembly or cleaning of this part in the manual and I'm sure most people wouldn't even think about it.

It comes apart by removing one small screw. Inside is the firing pin and a spring, and I was surprised how much rust had accumulated in there. I can see where it would get so bad as to sieze the parts together making it imposible to disassemble.

If you haven't taken your's apart, you may want to check it out.
I have had my Omega for over 10 years & have had no problem with rust in the firing pin & spring area. If you don't keep the hammer block & breech end of the barrel coated with a thin film of lubricant though it will rust. Preventive maintenance & frequent cleaning folks.👍🇺🇲🦌

I don't know why they don't mention firing pin cleaning/maintenance in the owner's manual.
Traditions doesn't either, although it is easy to do.

Back