? on powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteHunter

Reaction score
Is 100 grains ffg of reguler blackpowder the same as 100 grains ffg of triple 7.I was told that the triple 7 doesn't burn as hot and would have to use 20 to 25 grains more to get the same afect reguler blackpowder.

Joe

Coyotehunter

That is wrong.

With triple 7 you will want to REDUCE your powder charge by 15% to get the same charge as BP or Pyrodex.

85gr of 777 is like shooting 100gr of Black Powder or Pyrodex

100gr of 777 is like shooting 115gr of black powder or Pyrodex

Lungbuster is correct, if you reverse that the way you had it, it could be dangerous.

Thanks for the help guys
I'm new to muzzleloaders and I figure the only dumb question it the one that is not asked

Joe

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT ON THAT ONE!!!!! :yeah:

I Feel BAD I did not give you a warm & fuzzy welcome yet.

BUT I would Like to give you a Great big HOWDY and WECOME to the forum, You will talk to some of the greatest fellers here that you will ever meet. We will help in any way we can and to make your ML adventure as fun and safe as POSSABLE for you

LB1
Ron G.

If you had not asked the question your rifle would most certainly would have handled the pressure. But doubtful you could have handled the recoil
or would want to again. :D :D

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
If you had not asked the question your rifle would most certainly would have handled the pressure. But doubtful you could have handled the recoil
or would want to again. :D :D

Chocdog

The recoil is not a big thing to me I have 2 50 BMG's and shoot them alot my dad and I went togather 12 years ago and bought the old hunt club after it closed its 1150 acres an me and a buddy made the 500 yard range into 1000 yards with a big dirt birm to shoot into. thats where my family an I hunt,camp and fish at

Actually it depends because not all black powder is created equal... Swiss ffg black powder is about 95% to even equal to Triple Se7en ffg. Goexx ffg, what most people are refering to when the term "black powder" is used is about 80-85% of ffg Triple Se7en. It is my understanding that Scheutzen ffg is even less potent.

big6x6 said:
Actually it depends because not all black powder is created equal... Swiss ffg black powder is about 95% to even equal to Triple Se7en ffg. Goexx ffg, what most people are refering to when the term "black powder" is used is about 80-85% of ffg Triple Se7en. It is my understanding that Scheutzen ffg is even less potent.

I was going to start at 80 grains and work up an see what I get the best groups with and then leave it at that then when i get another rifle do the same oes that sound ok

Starting with 80gr ffg Triple Se7en and workikng up is a good plan! 8)

the 90gr of loose pyrodex select is going to be a little hotter than 3 - 30gr pellets but not enough to make that much DIFF.

any time you shoot loose powder it is going to by a little hotter charge

Except the new 777 magnum pellets are a little hotter tha 777 loose

Ron G.

Lungbuster1 A freind gave me some pyrodex select powder that is aprox 8 years old, Is it still good to use or should I throw it away?

It is likely going to be weak I would just get rid of it, But you can try it and see I would get some fresh powder ,

Ron G,

Latest posts

Back