Optics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually use 2x7x32 scopes on my muzzleloaders. I`m not a long distance shooter. Hunt mostly hardwoods, some open fields. Do any of you guys use the 4x. I might try it. Pros and cons. Thanks

My Optima pistol wears a 2 X 7 X 32 that stays set at 5 power. Its used primarily from a stand in the woods. At that power I have plenty of light gathering for very early and late day scenarios should I need to shoot then. My rifles all carry 3 X 9 X 40 or 4 X 12 X 40 scopes set at 5 power for the same reasons. I seldom stretch a shot out but did take one a couple years ago that was ranged at 176 yards and the scope on the rifle was fine.

I could easily get by with the 2 X 7 on the rifles.

I have a Weaver 4 x 36 one of mine. Never felt like it wasn't enough scope. I too hunt mostly woods and the occasional field. Usually on the fields I will use a 3-9 or 4-12.

The rifle in my profile picture is wearing a Nixon Monarch 4x40. It was my only inline for a lot of years, until I started coming around here. I never felt handicapped with it.

I have an older model Burris Timberline (discontinued) 4X20 on my Optima pistol/carbine.
Great little scope, imo. It used to be mounted on a 12 gauge slug gun, which took deer out to about 125 yards, maybe a little farther.
A friend of mine has one of those cheaper Simmons 4X32 on his muzzleloader. He's had it for years now. Never a problem with it.

All mine wear 3-9x40's
I feel like that is better than a fixed 4x...gives me more options and usually better light gathering - but a 4x would definitely work. Most ML shots can easily be made with 4x for sure.

Latest posts

Back