Optics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually use 2x7x32 scopes on my inlines. I`m not a long range shooter. Hunt hardwoods mostly and some open fields. All my 2x7`s are in use. Do any of you guys use the 4x? I`m considering it. Pros and cons? Thanks

There might be nothing “wrong” with a fixed 4X, but the 2-7X certainly gives you more flexibility…

The 2-7X gives you a lower power on the bottom end, for close shots, or to help you “find” your quarry thru the scope.

The 2-7X also gives you a higher top end, for shots in those open fields.

I like 2-7X scopes. It’s what I have on my Omega, my .30-06 deer rifle, my .22 “understudy” to my deer rifle, and another .22. Very versatile!

I’ve started putting 3-9X scopes on my more recent squirrel guns, but I prefer a 2-7X on my deer guns.

I always leave my variables on their lowest setting. If something is far enough away that I need to crank it up, I’ll likely have time to do so. If something is close enough (or moving fast enough) that I need to crank it down, chances are decent that I won’t have time to do so!

A fixed scope will typically be more durable (comparable price range, etc.), but scopes have come along way in recent years. Most of mine are the Leupold VX-1 line, or now the “VX Freedom” line.

Decent quality, great (transferable Lifetime) warranty if needed, and name recognition/resale value if you have sell, down the line. They were in the $200 range new for a long time, but the last one I bought was about $260, two years ago. Not sure where they are, now in the current madness!

I usually use 2x7x32 scopes on my inlines. I`m not a long range shooter. Hunt hardwoods mostly and some open fields. All my 2x7`s are in use. Do any of you guys use the 4x? I`m considering it. Pros and cons? Thanks
Im going to shoot a 4x32 today on a .45ml. just 25-50yds to see how it shoots. I like a 4x or 6x for hunting. They tend to be clearer and much more durable than variable power scopes imo.

Unless it is a rifle I bought used already wearing a scope, I use fixed powers. I tried a variable many years ago and pretty much left it sitting on one setting.
4X is perfectly usable. Not too much magnification, and enough for big game up to about 300 yards which is my personal limit. I have fixed from 1X to 15X with most being 4 or 6.

Most of the scopes on my ML or rifles are 3-9. When on stand I have it set on 5x.

Don’t ever recall changing the magnification to shoot other than at the range for sighting in.

Back