Optima V2 pistols

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This pistol is slowly becoming an iconic hunting weapon as more & more shooters realize it's potential. If only somebody like Hogue would create a comfortable pistol grip for the Optima V2 pistol, then the untapped potential with 300 grain, and larger bullets could be utilized. Thus moving the pistol squarely into the elk & moose hunting category.

Or, just letting any deer hunter, regardless of where in the United States they hunt, to put the hammer down on a deer using a wide meplat lead conical at medium speeds over a wool wad, and real black powder.

I am going to have to try and purchase a Lyman, #508656, 395 grain, Great Plains, single-cavity bullet mold. I think it will be a better fit for the Optima V2 pistol, than Idaholewis's original mold from Accurate Molds, the #50-415I, which throws a bullet weighing nearly 431 grains in pure lead.

I have no doubt that the Optima V2 action could handle a 431 grain bullet, especially since I have no intentions of trying to eek out maximum velocity with high breech pressure BH209 propellant. Goex, Schuetzen, Olde Eynsford, Swiss, or even Graf's black powder will be more than sufficient, accuracy wise, and velocity wise, at any reasonable distance that I might consider shooting a game animal at.

The MZ REX2 muzzle brake will mitigate the recoil into reasonable levels, even if I was not shooting two-handed, sling assisted. If you guys recall, Levi Reed tested the efficiency of the brake, before & after installation, using a 360 grain saboted bullet.

Lol we posted this within a minute of each other.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/back-in-stock.39248/#post-353121
I’m testing mine with some 300 grain deep curls this weekend. Not sure on where I’ll start with the powder yet.
You might want to use a padded shooting glove when testing the 300 grain deep curl bullets. Good luck with the test. I look forward to your results, as that bullet is one that I have had my eyes on when my pistol finally shows up off Doc White's bench.

How would the recoil be with a 250 gr saboted bullet and 80 grains of BH209 by volume? That’s my standard deer hunting combination.
Before I got my carbine stock, I was shooting a 240 grain bullet with 70 grains by volume of 3f Swiss powder.
The pistol did jump a might but not horrible. It's just that the hand grip isn't comfortable. Shooting gloves or something like an over the grip cover of some sort would help.

I’d kind of like to try hunting deer with one but not if I can’t shoot something similar to what I’ve been shooting. I guess eventually I’m going to just have to buy one and give it a try.

How would the recoil be with a 250 gr saboted bullet and 80 grains of BH209 by volume? That’s my standard deer hunting combination.

With my first Optima pistol I tried everything from 350 grains down to 200 grains and used both BH209 and T7 pellets and granular ranging in charges from 60 grains [v] to the 100 grains [v]. The recoil using 250 grain and 240 grain bullets at 80 grains [v] of 209 and T7 ffg was moderate but not obnoxious. The recoil was easy to control, accuracy was super at 50 yards, -1". Since owning and selling that gun I have bought two of the newer V2 models. One is new and yet unfired in the box and the other has seen a lot of field and range time.

My hunting Optima pistol currently uses 225 grain Barnes expanders in green crush rib sabots ahead of a 63 grain weighed charge [90gr v] of BH209. Accuracy is well under an inch at 50. Terminal performance is unreal on deer. Prior to the Barnes load I used a 240 grain XTP with the same sabot and powder charge and shot several deer with it, again with amazing terminal performance. I see no reason at all the 250 grain would not perform equally as well on deer with recoil that's easily controllable, about like a 200 grain load in a .44 mag.

I’d kind of like to try hunting deer with one but not if I can’t shoot something similar to what I’ve been shooting. I guess eventually I’m going to just have to buy one and give it a try.
They are a good shooting pistol.
I've shot patched round ball, Hornady PA conicals and lately the Hornady xtp 240 grain bullets.
Very accurate with all three, the xtp's are the best for me so far.

My S-W revolver in 45 colt has a 1:16 twist rate , very accurate .

Before I got my carbine stock, I was shooting a 240 grain bullet with 70 grains by volume of 3f Swiss powder.
The pistol did jump a might but not horrible. It's just that the hand grip isn't comfortable. Shooting gloves or something like an over the grip cover of some sort would help.
Did you put a rifle stock on yours? If so is it a optima stock. I would love to do that with mine. Thank You

Latest posts

Back