Over the counter Western tags.?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I haven't posted here for some time due to some unfortunate events.

To make a long story short, my contract for teaching has not been renewed for this academic year. I have been applying here in my home state of Massachusetts for the whole summer but it is pretty tough. So far nothing has come up.

A close friend said that this may be an opportunity in disguise. I love teaching but it can be a pain with the time of year. The busiest time of year for me is the fall and it coincides with hunting season. I have always wanted to hunt out West and had so far only hunted varmints such as prairie dogs on summer vacations. I did about 12 years ago did a guided hunt for antelope on private land in New Mexico. That season was the third week of August and I was able to do it.

Anyways. Unless things change in the next three or four weeks, I will be out of work for a long time. This may be an opportunity for me to do a Wyoming hunt for something like antelope.

Does the state of Wyoming have over the counter tags for some game? I know that there is a drawing in Febuary or March for most game, but I thought I read somewhere that you can still get some over the counter tags?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Most western states have completed their big game lic. drawings. And as usual, there are some lic. left-over in certain areas of Colo., Wyo. and Montana, depending on what game species you are interested in. I know, a lot of us want a "buck or a bull tag", but a doe deer, cow elk or doe antelope is just some of the finest eating you're going to put on your plate. My muzzleloader antelope hunt in Montana this year is for a couple of doe antelope, with some rancher friends I haven't seen for a couple of years. Makes for a nice visit.

I just hope the price of gasoline doesn't get to $4/gallon.

I made a call to Wyoming and got some good information. The biggest thing now will be the finances and how well my fiance will react to me telling her I will be gone for two to three weeks on the high plains of the Cowboy State.

I think you wanna know before you're calling her something other than fiancee if she's gonna let you go hunting or not...

Over the counter tags are available in Idaho for deer. Season opens Oct 10 and closes Nov 20. There are also some units that are muzzleloader only that open on Nov 21 thru Dec 9.

It looks like the financial situation will not allow me to take off to the West for a couple of weeks. It is a shame but that is the reality.

I'll have to do more hunting locally in its place.

Latest posts

Back