Palmetto inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shawn,

I have owned Knights since the late 80's, been on a few muzzleloading sites for around 20 years, thought I'd seen all Knight had to offer at one time or another, but cannot ever remember seeing one of those short 5/8" Knight breech plugs. Unless they were only used in the Knight T5 Woodsman (Italian Knight)? That is a new one on me.

Here are my original Knight Breech Plugs and Plunger/Strikers, all 5/8"diameter, all ~1.5" in length. All 3 striker bearing surfaces ~0.620"ish in diameter. All interchangeable.

From Bottom to Top. MK-85 .50 cal, #11, threaded to the end, set screw for plunger/striker cap retention, (late 80's); TK2000 12ga, #11, O-Ring for plunger/striker cap retention, (early 2000, first run, first one shipped to Michigan); Red Full Plastic Jacket 209 Conversion, O-Ring for plunger/striker cap retention,(2001).
20190228_073238.jpeg

Striker faces, Left to Right. Same as Bottom to Top in previous picture.
20180812_182459-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what the difference is between 900023 & 900024?

Current Knight 900024 comes back as the FPJ plug.
This Breech Plug Fits: Knight Disc Extreme, Vision, LRH, MH, Elite, and KP1.
Ignition System: Full Plastic Jacket

Knights current 900023 plug appears to be a hex head.
Fits .50cal Wolverine, LK93, LKII, MK85, BK92, American Knight, TK2000, Bighorn and Littlehorn muzzleloaders.
Fits .54 calibers after 1994, and current 50 calibers.
Head Design
Fits #11 and musket cap nipples

I guess a good question is.....Does the current 900023 hex head plug also fit?

Thanks for the info Busta. I was starting to think it was just for the RidgeRunner/TK too so I think your right there. It's just like that 50 cal on the bottom just shorter (1.072 so close to 1 1/16").

Just spoke to Joe. He was sure the one in my rifle was the original but the Barrel maker did the work. His Barrel maker did have a stroke recently and is not working at this time so he could not ask. He also said that he might have cut it down some due to this being a 32cal but again not sure. So it is possible he modified it but it sure don't look like it. The One he lists as a replacement is the 900023, is 5/8 18 but he said it does have that little area at the end that is unthreaded. He said it looked like it was about 1 3/8" or so just laying a ruler on an un-opened package.

He said they did get one .40 cal built but never got around to taking it out and shooting it. He thinks they put a 1 in 48 twist on it.

Last edited:
I almost ordered the plug from Numrich, just for curiosity. I decided to wait and see if I can call them and see if they can provide some dimensions first. For me being in NY that $25 plug it will come out to a bit over $35 with Shipping and NYS tax. Never thought about it but probably not a bad idea to have a spare. IF that flops I might get the Knight 900023 and just get it cut off on a lathe to match.

You're welcome Shawn. I never really paid real close attention to the T5 Woodsman when it came out back in the 90's, because I already had the MK-85, T/C, and White. I just remembered they looked like a Knight, but had the same type of sights as the T/C's and other traditional muzzleloaders of that time. I also knew it was made in Italy, and we called it the Italian Knight.

Well, at least now you know you have some striker options. Options are good.

Sure are. I had noticed that the safety lever was bent over just a bit so it sort of lightly rubbed the action. Tried bending it back just a tad and Snap! That was when I noticed it looked just like my MK Timney's and sure nuff was back in business. Still need to pick up another Trigger.

When I got this one I thought it looked sort of like a cross between and LK and a TC black diamond.

There really is nothing wrong with them. The have a very strong action. If the discussion about the breech plug concerns you, just keep in mine it is a #11 rifle and the breech plug will not wear out just the nipple, but that is normal. I have no regrets buying mine for the build. You could always shoot it as is then build on it later. At that price it is hard to beat for a new Plunger type rifle.

There really is nothing wrong with them. The have a very strong action. If the discussion about the breech plug concerns you, just keep in mine it is a #11 rifle and the breech plug will not wear out just the nipple, but that is normal. I have no regrets buying mine for the build. You could always shoot it as is then build on it later. At that price it is hard to beat for a new Plunger type rifle.
Shawn, what is P grade hardwood in the stock, birch ?

Not sure what the "P" grade is, probably Plain/standard? I thought it was Maple. I've never worked with Birch that I know of so could be. It was pre-finished when it came I had to pull the butt plate to see what it looked like. It is a light color wood like Maple so could be one or the other.

Here is a pic. What do you think it is?

upload_2019-3-1_16-29-51.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what the "P" grade is, probably Plain/standard? I thought it was Maple. I've never worked with Birch that I know of so could be. It was pre-finished when it came I had to pull the butt plate to see what it looked like. It is a light color wood like Maple so could be one or the other.

Here is a pic. What do you think it is?

View attachment 4003
I'm hoping maple, call me crazy but I just bought one, it reminds me of a G series White rifle and the .540 White is 1:28 twist. I have alot of .54 cal. accessories already with my .54 Renegade so no problem there. I also ordered scope mounts and BP wrench if they still sell them. Just waiting to hear back from seller.:D

It really looks like Maple to me. It is not all that soft.

The bases for them are the same Weaver #61 for the MK's. And the BP wrench is the Slotted type that Knight used and I think still sells. I called Numrich today about the Breech plug I previously linked to and was told I had to submit my question to their Forum and one of the guys would check it out. That is plain weird to me but I did it anyway, so will see what they say. But I have no reason to see why the plug will not last for years. Its just a #11 plug so can't really see it wearing out. Can't find a cheaper New Plunger rifle really. Will be real curious to see what you think of it.

When I got mine, It came with a screw-in module for 209 primers. Unless something changed, All you have to do it remove the module and screw in a 1/4 x 28 nipple. I think they just shipped them without the nipple and just had the 209 module in them. I'll look ad see if I can find my module and take a pic. Not sure where I put it atm. I never planned to use it either but told Joe to just leave it in there just in case. I put a Knight Red Hot #11 in mine and don't plan to use 209's. The Face of the Hammer/plunger has a small dimple in it but not near as pronounced as the Knight Universal type so it has not damage my nipple at all so I did not remove it.

Well forgot where I put that module. Getting a bad case of CRS lately.:(:eek:

I did just remember taking pics when I got my rifle though. :oops:

Here is the action with the module in place. Second pic shows the parts on the bench and that module removed from the plug and is in the middle to the right of the plug. You can see it is threaded. If I can ever find mine I will take a close up pic of it.

upload_2019-3-1_18-2-42.jpeg

upload_2019-3-1_18-3-1.jpeg

Thanks, that's cool one can use either or type of plug. I also like the plunger handle on the left like you show to allow access to the nipple on right side. Looking forward to getting it! Still no word from Gun Works....

Back