Palmetto inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Handle can be used on either side, no need to remove it to do it (plunger is only tapped on one side, just flip it over to the other side. The little section just above the bolt has 2 small flats so you can use a little wrench to tighten it. I use it on the right and just use a TDC straight line capper. It has a pretty strong spring so it destroys the caps. :D I never thought to check but I would bet the spring is the same as the MK, I'll check and see. Joe and Suzi are getting up there in years, Joe is a really nice guy to talk too. I don't recall when they close for the day. They are in Oregon.

The Springs are slightly different but not enough to make a difference. The Ridge Runner spring on the left is maybe a tad over 1 ring longer but the Knight MK spring on the right is a heavier spring. The Ridge Runner rings measure .049 and the Knight is .054. I put the Knight in mine and I can't really tell a difference it will definitely destroy a cap.:thumb::cool: Lots of good compatible parts between it and the MK.:cool: Never really knew that till this thread.:D

upload_2019-3-1_19-22-25.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe this gun is the one that got White in trouble in the legal dept. of copyright laws...sure favors the White rifles for being made by Knight! Sent you a PM!

Shawn didn't you have a thread on here somewhere about your rifle? Reading this has got my interest peaked again, I think a 32 or 36 would be fun and hell on bunnies and squirrels.

You guys need to stop posting and putting up pics about this rifle! Please, please, please! The more I see of it the more I want one. Always wanted a 54 and this seems like a cheap way to get one. Only thing is , I am already working on cleaning up a Thunder Hawk I recently bought and have a beautiful 50 cal New Englander barrel coming that I now need a stock for along with a Wolverine bought last week. Already out of room in the safes and my wife is about to hang me!

John

Shawn didn't you have a thread on here somewhere about your rifle? Reading this has got my interest peaked again, I think a 32 or 36 would be fun and hell on bunnies and squirrels.

Yes I did. From time I got it to time it was finished, That is the .32 in those pics.

Any idea if the stock spacing is the same as say a MK or LK?...Measured from trigger to action screw.

Here is a T5. Pics for these are not very abundant.
WUBnZ76.jpg

bgOSidp.jpg

The MK (top) is 1 1/16" shorter than the RidgeRunner.

upload_2019-3-2_12-29-6.jpeg

Shawn,

Zoom in on the breech plug of the T5 Woodsman. Also notice how Much bigger the cut-out is in the receiver.

That breech plug is the standard 1-1/2" breech plug. So, I'm wondering if your short breech plug is customized, or only that way in the .54 cal? The T5 pictured could be a .50 caliber though?

Pretty sure it will work with the longer breech plug either way though, and you'd have a little shorter lock time. As long as the plunger/striker has enough momentum to pop a cap every time, which it should.

WUBnZ76-1-1-1.jpg

The secondary safety must be holding that striker back off the nipple. Would be neat to see if your longer MK-85 breech plug would look like this pic.

There is absolutely zero doubt that these Palmetto Ridge Runners are indeed exactly where the Italian Knight T5 Woodsman came from. They are probably leftover pre-production parts that were not stamped as Knights and assembled yet?

Shawn,
I see that Natchez has the 209 kits for the Mk 85 for $38.99 including the hammer assembly, BP,and combo tool. Could this fit the Palmetto and be used with #11 caps by milling the cone off the hammer face? I hope someone posts a range report soon. This looks very interesting.

Bill
Zoom in on the breech plug of the T5 Woodsman. Also notice how Much bigger the cut-out is in the receiver.

That breech plug is the standard 1-1/2" breech plug. So, I'm wondering if your short breech plug is customized, or only that way in the .54 cal? The T5 pictured could be a .50 caliber though?

Pretty sure it will work with the longer breech plug either way though, and you'd have a little shorter lock time. As long as the plunger/striker has enough momentum to pop a cap every time, which it should.

View attachment 4010

The secondary safety must be holding that striker back off the nipple. Would be neat to see if your longer MK-85 breech plug would look like this pic.

There is absolutely zero doubt that these Palmetto Ridge Runners are indeed exactly where the Italian Knight T5 Woodsman came from. They are probably leftover pre-production parts that were not stamped as Knights and assembled yet?
Shawn,

View attachment 4010

Busta,

My MK plug is an 11/16 plug so would not screw in the RidgeRunner. In GM's pic above it does look like the Secondary safety is screwed in but also looks like the plunger cap is also screwed out. Possibly that plug is not screwed all the way in. Who knows. My Plug does go in till it is flush to the cut out. We might have to wait till Toy Truck gets his to see if the plug is the same as mine. In the mean time here is 2 pics. First with the plug screwed all the way in ready to fire. Second is the plug shimmed out as if it were 1 1/2" long. The hammer face is recessed just a bit more then 1/16" so that leaves about 1/4" for the plunger to fall onto the cap. It proved not enough for a good strike. Removed a washer and it popped a cap so I think 1 1/2 in long is a bit too long.

upload_2019-3-2_15-2-6.jpeg

upload_2019-3-2_15-2-37.jpeg

Bill,

Don't think so as the 209 Kit is for a Red plastic jacket so that plug has the Nipple/stack made on it for the RPJ to go onto.

I think we'll have to see what the one in the rifle Toy Truck gets to make sure it is like mine. Mine "Might" be altered some, if so it was to remove some of the recess for powder but I can't be sure till I see one from another .54cal RidgeRunner. I'm also waiting to see if Numrich answers my post about the plug they had listed that "Looks" like mine just don''t list a size on it.

Busta,

My MK plug is an 11/16 plug so would not screw in the RidgeRunner. In GM's pic above it does look like the Secondary safety is screwed in but also looks like the plunger cap is also screwed out. Possibly that plug is not screwed all the way in. Who knows. My Plug does go in till it is flush to the cut out. We might have to wait till Toy Truck gets his to see if the plug is the same as mine. In the mean time here is 2 pics. First with the plug screwed all the way in ready to fire. Second is the plug shimmed out as if it were 1 1/2" long. The hammer face is recessed just a bit more then 1/16" so that leaves about 1/4" for the plunger to fall onto the cap. It proved not enough for a good strike. Removed a washer and it popped a cap so I think 1 1/2 in long is a bit too long.

View attachment 4012

View attachment 4013

Yeah, I was talking about using it with the Knight plunger/striker. You mentioned that it just barely reached the nipple in an earlier post. I'm sure it would bust a cap, with the 1.5" breech plug.

Well Just had a light bulb go off in my stupid head. Not sure why I did not think of it before. Getting slow on the uptake as I get older I guess.:wall:

I just realized I had not thought to check another rifle I have, my LK-93 .36cal! Low and behold it has a 5/8 18 plug in it and it is 1 1/2" long. It did prove that the plunger is still a tad bit close for a good strike on the cap. In looking at them I am starting to think Busta may be onto something thinking mine was modified. I now think that is highly likely. I see 2 possibilities, 1 the Factory 54cal barrel is recessed a bit for the extra length of the plug, or 2 ,and most likely, the factory barrel just don't thread in as far as my custom barrel so a longer Bp would work. They might have cut mine to get rid of some of the cone shaped recess for the powder side to prevent a jag/patch hanging up on it. Never had that happen with the .36 though.

upload_2019-3-2_16-46-3.jpeg

upload_2019-3-2_16-46-19.jpeg

Busta,

I get what you mean but just found that the Knight plunger is too close to the Knight longer plug, at least with the one from the LK. Don't remember about the one from the MK. since at the time I was testing with the short plug. You can't get a capper in there. The one on the LK might have set off a cap as it has a coned recess that is deep but if you can get the capper in there it would not be of any real use.

Back