Patch lube ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerndog

Reaction score
:?: Hey guys, what do you use for patch lube, trying to get some ideas on what to use for my 54, i have some Ballistol, and have heard i can use this, is it very good for this ?If not, what say you ??

Ballistol and water mix is used and they make a dry patch by drying that out on window screen. I personally make a liquid lube and then dry them on screen or I spritz them from time to time with a mist bottle and load that way.

I have left the bore butter path a long time ago. My friends still shoot bore butter. I make my own hard lube also. I like to use Castor Oil and Beeswax when I make hard lubes and Castor Oil for the liquid lube also. I also make a lube out of water soluable cutting oil you can purchase at NAPA Auto part.

I have been using a 50/50 mix of Olive Oil and Murphy's Oil Soap. I started using it late last summer and am very ahappy with the results. I tried Neets Foot, ATF, and Sno-Seal with and without Bees Wax.

I'm with cayugad. I use a 4:1 mix of water to Ballistol. I would like to use more water, but it is so dry here that any less water and it is very difficult to get the patch to even go down the barrel just a foot or so. 4:1 is the best for me.

Liquid Lube
16 oz. water (non-chlorinated)
8 oz. isopropyl alcohol, 91%
4 oz. witch hazel
3 oz. castor oil
1 oz. Murphy's Oil Soap

This is the liquid lube that I use. The Castor Oil, I buy at Wal Mart in the Pharmacy as well as the isopropyl alcohol and witch hazel. The Murphy's Oil Soap is in the cleaning secition.

When you mix this lube be sure and mix the alcohol and Castor Oil together first. Castor Oil will not break down in water it clumps. It will break down in the alcohol though. Then I all the witch hazel. Stir all that into the water and finally add the Murphy's Oil Soap and shake it all together. Just give it a shake before you use it and it will all mix up again.

The nice thing about this lube is it is technically all natural ingrediants. You can soak your patch strip and then dry them on old window screen for a dry patch. It will not freeze in the winter time, and if you want I spritz the cloth before loading. It is the only patch lube I use now.

cayuga said:
Liquid Lube
16 oz. water (non-chlorinated)
8 oz. isopropyl alcohol, 91%
4 oz. witch hazel
3 oz. castor oil
1 oz. Murphy's Oil Soap

I tried it, too many components! Simple is best.

Get rid of the water, alcohol and witch hazel and try 50/50 castor and murphy's or Olive oil and murphy's :!:

I don't mind mixing it the way it is and the results I get using it are too hard to argue with. The old saying, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it kind of applies here. It has to be about the best patch lube I ever found. I made a solid version of the Castor Oil lube and use that on conicals...

Sounds like if you have any left over it would work as an aftershave in a pinch! :lol:

SOLID BULLET LUBE

2 oz. Beeswax (4 tablespoons)
8 oz. Castor oil (16 tablespoons)
1 oz Murphy's Oil Soap (2 tablespoons)

Melt the bees wax in a double boiler system. A coffee can and another can work fine. Once the wax is liquid, add to the wax the Castor Oil. Then stir/mix the two together. They well clump together some, but keep stirring. As they heat up they do combine together. Also a scum will form on the surface of the mix. This is the impurities in the beeswax I was told. Skim that off. Once there is no more scum forming (or very little), stir the devil out of it and then add the Murphy's Oil Soap. This will make a nice smooth looking paste wax, frothy lube. Simply set it off the heat and let it harden. If it is too hard for your liking, add more Castor Oil. If it is too soft, add more wax.

The solid lube will really surprise you how well it takes heat and cold. It does not break down like bore butter can on hot summer days.

This is an excellent conical bullet lube, it also works well to waterproof your leather boots. Remember, this smells like honey, so if you wear leather honey smelling boots in bear country, things could get exciting. :lol:

this lube was made/invented by a fellow called Stumpkiller as was the liquid lube I made reference to. He was kind enough to share it on a forum so I do the same, but I did want to make mention of who was responsible for these lubes....

Back