Patched Ball Shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which patch lube are you interested in squint? I make the frontier brand patch lube, so send me a PM and I can get you order details. Grass fires are never a good thing.

Can Anyone tell me what is the ingredients of frontier patch lube, or where I can buy it? I was using moose milk, but I had a patch come out and start a small grass fire so I'm looking for something different.
Thanks guys.
Squint

Starting a fire is a reality of front stuffers. Best way to manage it is to be prepared to put the fire out fast. Other option is only shoot in the rain :) No patch /lube I've ever seen will eliminate the potential for starting a grass fire.

which patch lube are you interested in squint? I make the frontier brand patch lube, so send me a PM and I can get you order details. Grass fires are never a good thing.
Hi there frontier gander. Do you sell this lube? I would be interested in possibly buying some, I'm really looking for something that does not have water in it. That sounds kind of strange I know, But I have a tendency to leave it loaded when I'm hunting for several days. I'm getting ready to experiment with fast orange hand cleaner. I read where Gojo works so I don't know why this wouldn't. To the best That I can find out there's no water in it, when I tried to melt it, it wouldn't really melt to lubricate the patches and I think that might be a plus. It's supposed to warm up here in Montana, in about three or four days, and I plan to go out and shoot a few. I was disappointed with moose milk as it seemed to dry completely out. I'll let you know, come about Wednesday, if this works. Right now we're about 18° above and we have some snow on the ground.
Thanks a bunch,
squint

Yes I do manufacture and sell it.

#1 key to my lube, no water, no beeswax, no parrafin wax. I originally designed it to keep rust out of my bore while hunting in wet conditions and it has done just that. Easy clean up at the end of the day too.
21_1_1200.jpg
IMG_6388.JPG
rust.jpg

doing a search on gojo hand cleaner, it does contain paraffin liquidum / mineral oil. As a patch lube it may work ok on the range but i do not see it as a longer term hunting lubricant.

Is bore butter not a good patch lubricant ? I use it on the range so I’m not a hunter.

Is bore butter not a good patch lubricant ? I use it on the range so I’m not a hunter.
Hi Jeff. I've used it for years, and never had any trouble in a percussion or a Flintlock, but some complain pretty bad about it. I don't seem to have the best accuracy and for that reason I am experimenting with other possibilities. Frontier gander has some stuff is supposed to be real good, he just is sending me some and I plan to experiment if the weather permits.
Squint

I personally will never use bore butter again, especially as a product to keep rust out of my firearms.

You forgot Go Jo hand cleaner. Got the idea from Don Jose. IMO: It's the best patch lube there is. The GoJo on that patch cleans the barrel on the way down.

Our family has used Go Jo hand cleaner since it first came out in 1946 by Goldie Lippman from Akron, Ohio, during World War II. My father had several friends that were shooting at Friendship and always trying different ideas for anything that they pushed down the barrels of their original muzzleloaders since the very early 30's. They were also involved in the group that help form the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA) in 1933. When I was growing up the friends of my father were in the garage (under the house) at night and weekends rebuilding muzzleloaders for Friendship. My father called them "bastardized muzzleloaders" because of the mixed parts used to assemble a shootable firearm. :coffee: 👍

You didn't mention how much, if you intended to add to the Moose Milk, Jo Joe hand cleaner?
We (our company) use to produce a patch lube called "Powder Hawks Pride" the mixture was [911] (easy to remember). [911] is the three items needed to make your lube = (9) parts water, (1) part Go Jo, (1) part water soluble machine oil. This mixture like mentioned by you guys will lube the barrel, clean the barrel and shoots very nicely without tears, blown holes, etc. 👍 Your cleaning the barrel with every shot ...... try it - It does work.

I personally will never use bore butter again, especially as a product to keep rust out of my firearms.
Hi there frontier gander. I believe I did mention it to you I was going to try fast orange hand cleaner, while I was waiting for your lube, frontier lube, To come, and today I did. Now remember I'm threescore and 20 so shooting ain't as good as it used to be, but it didn't work out too bad. My rear side is a 3/16 flat washer braised to an old site off of some .22 I had, so it's got rather a pretty large hole, And it's mounted in the original rear sight slot on my LYMN DEER STALKER. Quite advantageous for hunting as I can see the front sight and around the front sight at the same time, but adjustments are the pits. I had to buy a taller front sight which isn't a disadvantage to me. 50 grains of 2F gave me the tightest group, about 2 inches. But it was 2 inches low and 3 inches right. 60 grains 3F opened up the group, shot high enough but 2 inches to the right.. 70 grains shot dead on but about a 3.5 inch group. All this at 50 yards. It does puzzle me why the group would move that much, I was shooting off the bench with a good solid rest. Generally I'm not out to prove what I can do, I want to prove what the gun can do. Supposed to be another storm coming in, I hope it's gone by the time I get your lube and I will conduct the same test with the same weight balls. These were cast from lead water pipe that I reclaimed and weigh 175 gr., so they're not quite pure lead. The patches I use are .018 pill ticking cut square. I do place a felt spacer between the powder and the PRB. I don't need it for target practicing I do use it for hunting to keep my powder dry. I wanted to see how the load would react. Plan on hunting deer starting the 26th when season opens.
Squint

First thing I would check is your recovered patched. They can tell you a lot about the bore and how its reacting to the patch lube. Another thing to try with the gojo is swabbing between shots. I know it defeats the purpose, but sometimes, barrels just have to be cleaned in order to obtain max accuracy.

I test out different lubes all the time just for the fun of it. I very regularly see my groups move around just from switching lubes, or even simply the amount of lube applied.
The last time I shot I had some patches lubed with castor oil and some lubed with mink oil. Shooting at 50 yards the castor oil grouped 2" to the right of the point of aim and the minkl grouped 1" to the left of point of aim. I also was able to effect the mink oil patch groups quite a bit just from the amount I used. If I rubbed the patch around on the lube until there was enough to fill the weave of the patch, 3" groups. Just one single pass over the lube so there was barely any on the patch gave me a 1" group. Crazy how much just lube can effect the group.

I won't use it as a patch lube, however it is wonderful on wood stocks to protect them.
Been using it on all my wood stocks for about 22 years.

Back