Peep Sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaho doesn't allow scopes on ml's, in general, so yes I use a peep. I like a small fiber-optic front sight, and the peep where the rear scope mount would be. For me, and my 1962 vintage eyes, closer would be too close. I played with different sized apertures over the years. Smaller for better accuracy, and larger for light gathering. Finally got a Merit adjustable aperture, and love it.
I have the stock front sight on my Bighorn, and an NECG peep. I've used a couple different Williams peeps, and they work as well. Can't remember the model, but I had a Williams that seemed like a target model on my old MK85 for years. I'd call it receiver-mounted. It was the easiest one to adjust that I've tried. But I finally broke it one year. Tried their barrel mounted model, and didn't like it as much. Harder to adjust, and shorter sight radius, so less accurate.
The NECG is a lot more expensive, and is not easy to adjust, but it doesn't stick out like the Williams target model/receiver-mounted sight. It seems like a sleeker, sturdier design, and hopefully won't give out after a few decades of hard use.

Last edited:
Hi FredB. I am in the same boat, 1959 vintage eyes. My questions to you would be what size thread is the merit adjustable aperture? Would it fit the lyman sme? Also the small fiber optic front sight, would this be .019”? What kind would this be? Thank you kindly for any answers you could provide…

I run a peep sight on all my rifles where required. Williams or Lyman 57SME rear with a small fiber optic (like the Williams Western Precision) front.

I have a #4 Merit adjustable peep as well. Yes, they are made with a standard 7/32-40 thread to fit Williams or Lyman peeps. Great for old eyes.

FD6BBC18-D1EF-48CA-A536-EC6AFD96FCF2.jpeg

I've struggled for years with sights and most of my rifles now wear either Lyman or Williams peeps. I also put a small diameter (1.5mm) fiber optic on one rifle and it helps. On my other rifles I have filed down the front bead much narrower. I use a smaller holed peep at the range and a much larger aperture when hunting. I tried the adjustable aperture but can't remember why I didn't like it.

Hi FredB. I am in the same boat, 1959 vintage eyes. My questions to you would be what size thread is the merit adjustable aperture? Would it fit the lyman sme? Also the small fiber optic front sight, would this be .019”? What kind would this be? Thank you kindly for any answers you could provide…
Don't know the diameter. It's just the one that came on the ml. Williams has various options. The fiber optics are so bright, I think the smallest one you can find would work.

Thompson Center tang mounted peep. I have used it with a finer optic front sight and with the stock front sight both. Than peep makes a huge difference with my old eyes.

With that said, those TC peeps are no longer available. IMO a good peep sight is hard to come by for ML.

I started with a Lyman 57sml peep on my Deerstalkers. IIRC the Merit threads matched on those but I didn't like it. The Lyman 57 would mount on my T/C Hawken , possibly had to drill a little wood but no metal. I later purchased a Williams peep as the Lymans were out of stock. The Williams would not fit directly to my Lyman so I had to switch them around and put each on what it was desiganted for ie. 57 on Lyman and Williams on T/C. I have 4 diff apertures that interchange on both peeps.

As for fiber optics, The factory ones that I have seen are too large a diameter to be useful to me. Most also come with a huge mount that I don't like. IIRC the factory ones are around 2.5-3.0mm diameter. I went to eBay and found a package of 1.5mm FO's in 5 or 6 different colors. I epoxied a small piece to the top of my black post sight on my GPH and what a difference. Much smaller aim point that stands out. Cost was like $6 and what a bargain for my old (70+) eyes.

The other peep set up that I really like is the Peep Rib or Ace in the Hole type with the peep mounted on a rail. That allows you to use optics for sight in or when not required to use iron sights. Works great. Yes, the Williams Western is big but has a very small fiber optic and is useful for me to at least 200 yards.

8BF6F666-0E49-4E50-B71E-44F016AF04C5.jpeg
2F390014-6438-4E59-B8DC-04B56BD9D6F1.jpeg

The other peep set up that I really like is the Peep Rib or Ace in the Hole type with the peep mounted on a rail. That allows you to use optics for sight in or when not required to use iron sights. Works great. Yes, the Williams Western is big but has a very small fiber optic and is useful for me to at least 200 yards.

View attachment 30704
View attachment 30705

I use Lyman, Williams, XS and custom made peeps. My .451" White M98 has the ghost ring XS sight set up (now sadly discontinued) on it and boy does it ever hammer running deer.

As for fiber optics, The factory ones that I have seen are too large a diameter to be useful to me. Most also come with a huge mount that I don't like. IIRC the factory ones are around 2.5-3.0mm diameter. I went to eBay and found a package of 1.5mm FO's in 5 or 6 different colors. I epoxied a small piece to the top of my black post sight on my GPH and what a difference. Much smaller aim point that stands out. Cost was like $6 and what a bargain for my old (70+) eyes.
I have a fiber optic front sight that's about too small. It is a high profile but the bead is pretty darn small.

See Lee Shaver for peeps/Ed

It really depends on what the sight is being used for. If it's a target gun the Lee Shavers sights are great. If a guy is shooting game out of a blind and has time to set the sights, and I mean a lot of time. They could work. I know for hunting I would rather use a Lyman 57sml peep.

It really depends on what the sight is being used for. If it's a target gun the Lee Shavers sights are great. If a guy is shooting game out of a blind and has time to set the sights, and I mean a lot of time. They could work. I know for hunting I would rather use a Lyman 57sml peep.
When I first decided to go to a peep back in 2003, I first tried one of those old time tang type peeps that was adjustable vertically. I found out real quick like that was not going to work for this old boy, not for hunting. IMO, it was best suited for target shooting. The hole in the peep disk was tiny and the disc was too big for my liking. Went and got a TC peep and have been happy ever since. I don't know about others, but I need a larger peep ring.

Back