Peifer Rifles, Nokomis, Ill.?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteo

Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these? It came in .50 and .45. The .50 has a 26 inch Douglas S.S. Match Grade barrel with a 1-28 twist. The .45 has a 1-20 twist. It was also fitted with a Bell Carlson synthetic stock. It uses a 209 primer that is aligned with the breech plug by inserting and rotating trigger guard primer assembly. I know the gun was designed and sold in early 90's as a magnum Black powder. The overall appearances in regards to the componets leads me to believe that this might be a ready made canidate for smokeless. Any thoughts? I have a friend that has two and is offering one to me.

I have a 45 and a 50 caliber Peifer Rifle. Simple design, great looking and, outstanding craftsmanship and excellent shooters. The trigger guard has nothing to do with priming, it is the cocking mechanism. The trigger guards rotates, left or right to cock the rifle.The 209 primer is contained in a cylindrical holder (shaft) that has a larger lower diameter that is knurled. ( the primer holder is very similiar to a 1/2 inch bolt about 2 and 1/2 inches long, rather than a hex head the head is round, about an inch in diameter and knurled) The primer is placed in a cross hole near the top of the primer holder, this is inserted in a hole on the bottom of the action ahead of the trigger guard. The primer holder is inserted and rotated to lock in position. The first lockin position has the primer 90 degrees out of battery rendering the gun absolutely safe. Rotate the primer holder 90 degrees and you are in battery position. The rifle also has a tang thumb trigger safety.

Never tried smokeless but I do know that my rifles were made with the finest ordinance steel available. I believe all of Ralph Peifer's rifles were built with the same quality steels and craftsmanship.

Razorback, Thank You for info. I have not seen or handled this gun since mid or early 90's. It was out of the blue that he had called me the other day and said he would like to get rid of one. I have tried to contact Ralph and the # is not a good one. I do not even know if he is still around. Have you ever thought about smokeless in one of them, that .45 should be able to go sabotless.

Hey, I remember attending an ML workshop up near Springfield which was hosted by the DNR. Peifer was there as an exhibitor. Their rifle was elegantly designed and beautifully made. If I could have afforded it at the time I would've snagged one. A few years later I stopped by the plant in Nokomis but the place was closed.

I'd have serious doubts about using smokeless in one. It seems to me that the primer holder would tend to be leakier than would be desired. Also, they would not have been proofed with smokeless, and I'd hate to wreck one while personally proofing it. It'd be a neat rifle to own but I don't think I'd ride it very hard.

Back