Pellet powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Opinions vary.. And your step by step descriptions are a bit elementary and quite rude.. For that i say goodbye to this forum as i go enjoy my spaghetti-0s in a spiffy little plastic bowl..."

I'm glad you so easily found the accuracy you were looking for. Some of us have quite a struggle with that. Sorry that my simple and direct writing style offended you. That was not the intent. It's good to have a forum where we can share our varied experiences and opinions.

I used loose powder for years and found that finding the exact amount my rifle liked was important to accuracy. Then,,,my friend showed up at the range one day with a brand new rifle using the pellets and bullet that the manufacturer recommended. He achieved such impressive acurracy that I went back and tried pellets. No luck for me but I learned what ever works is a good idea,

Lotsa ways to skin that cat or kill that deer. I think that‘s one of the things that make muzzleloading fun.

Triple7 pellets DONT weigh even close to 50gr. They are a volumetric loose equivalent in pellet form. One T7 50gr pellet is around 30gr by weight and yes it varies.

i'm new to ML'ing with barely a clue , but ...... that corresponds with folks suggesting i start with and sight in with 60 grains of loose powder (i have 777 fffg) . i still haven't sighted in my old optima because my spring/summer honey do list is long and i have to pace myself with my aches and pains . i did take a few shots with two 777 pellets to see if the eye relief on my scope was a concern .
BTW ..... would three 777 pellets be about equal to 90 grains of 777 fffg powder ?

No, 2 T7 pellets is roughly equal to 80-90gr of loose T7 BY VOLUME NOT BY WEIGHT. 3 Pellets equals about 120-130gr BY VOLUME.

2 pellets, either T7 or Pyrodex are about the same as 100gr BY VOLUME of Pyrodex loose. Notice how my statement said, "They are a volumetric loose equivalent in pellet form".

The younger hunters I take out all use pellets and they work extremly well. I have used them in the past from time to time myself in my old CVA and even in my Remington Ultimate- great groups with all the MLs I have used them in. In my experience, bullet selection and powder charge play a much bigger role than pelletized vs loose. All that being said, the kids use 100gr (2 50gr pellets), and when I have used them I used 150gr/vol charge. I use loose 777 in most of my ML's now, unless shooting my smokeless.

Back