Pittman aeromax 325 grain 950 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aeromax .452" 325 Grain

325 Grain Weight
  • .452" Diameter
  • .021" Thick, Custom Made Copper Jackets
  • 1.510" Length
  • Solid Lead Cores
  • Precision Machined Aircraft Grade Aluminum Tips
  • Securely Packaged In Quantities of 25, 50 or 100
  • Sectional Density .227
  • Estimated Ballistic Coefficient .410 G1@ 2800 FPS
  • Doppler Verified BC of .437 G1 @ 2851 FPS
  • Doppler Verified BC of .445 G1 @ 3105 FPS
Since we don’t know the exact Velocity? For Fun, Lets say 2,850 FPS, with the Doppler Verified BC of .437 G1

Going off of a 300 Yard Zero, you would need 27.65 Minutes (MOA) at 950 Yards

First...….. I'm not challenging you and don't want you or anyone else to think that.

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around how you're getting 14moa is all at 950yds.

Are you using a SFP scope with the magnification dialed down to 1/2 ?

The BC of the Pittman Aeromax 325gr bullet is known (listed on the site) to be .437 at 2851fps, which is a very reasonable velocity, give or take 100fps, even 200fps.

Knowing the BC, its quite easy to determine what the velocity … may … be, just by running it through JBM, one of the top ballistics programs, and using the 14moa drop and zero at 300yds to estimate the velocity.

Example of the velocity needed for a 300yd zero and only 14moa at 950yds. It would require a velocity of 3,800fps.

Note: windage was used at 8mph at 300°

3800 feet per second at 14moa.JPG

Then my 950 yard must be wrong, ormy 600 yards is way off, please forgive me everyone until I confirm things
No need to ask for forgiveness. We ALL want to learn, understand, or help.

IIRC you mentioned in the very first post you had some difficulties with your range finder?

The range finder is El cheapo, when I point the rangefinder and shoot for distance I am looking down into a valley I'm wondering if I'm not picking up background anyway I think what I'm going to do is Mark the range off in a hundred yard increments I'm confident of that and see where I end up,

The range finder is El cheapo, when I point the rangefinder and shoot for distance I am looking down into a valley I'm wondering if I'm not picking up background anyway I think what I'm going to do is Mark the range off in a hundred yard increments I'm confident of that and see where I end up,
Use the “measure distance” feature in google maps or google earth. It doesn’t account for anything but straight lines, I don’t think, but it’s pretty accurate. If you’ve not used that, just right click on the point you want to measure from, a menu pops up that has measure distance in it.

45 70, I have 60 year old eyes also,I think each of us ends up with very unique characteristics in what we like in the perfect scope or rifle,,I personally like different Scopes and different reticles for different hunting situations, if I'm sitting in the bushes I want just a regular duplex,as simple as it can be if I have two point quickly, but if I'm sitting in a box and hunting an open field I like having a ranging reticle and just using the reticle,I know the days are coming when my eyes are not going to like a ranging reticle,and I know there might be the moments left and hunting situations when I happen to have a ranging reticle and have an opportunity to shoot a deer and it's rushed and that quote busy reticle messes my shot up,I do find I tend to start loving whatever retical I have on the rifle when it shoots a hole

it works and i'm not young, the clicking
I think much of the different opinions about "to click or not to click" comes from the differences of target shooters and ethical hunting practices concerning "Distances Shot" and What we are shooting at .

Targets , paper or whatever , it doesnt Matter the distance . Period . Its fun to stretch things out testing the rifle AND ourselves !!! Dial away if you want !!! The only pain felt is our shoulders and possibly a little pride . No harm no foul . Thats why we do it to get better at techniques and learn our weapons . THIS is Fun !!!

Hunting is a Whole New ball game !!! Many of the techniques practiced on targets are still quite revelant and very usefull shooting living creatures . HOWEVER stretching those distances beyond to where you MUST start whirling knobs around just doesnt fit in a ethical hunting shot description , at least for some . I simply wont risk wounding a precious creature with an ego shot . I WONT do it . Especially with a muzzleloader . Ya got one shot with alot of time present before another is available to "get it right" . Not Cool at All . With sml's much of the power factor of that shot is enhanced largely by velocity . Very cool and distances can be extended ethically , to a point , because of bc and velocity . Conditional weather considered as well at the time . Beyond an easily compensated amount of drop and time of flight factors Please DONT pull the trigger . Get closer , wait for them to get closer , or try again another day .....please . These natural resources have a Majestic Right to our Best judgement in being harvested for OUR benefit . All of us have a Mom , and i see a doe with respect as well .
The very reason i seek magnum style power is for the game animals ultimate benefit in the hope of a quick and painless overwhelming harvest of that animal . Too much gun is just about right to do just that imo and at ranges close enough that the added power is extremely efficent by that well placed shot .
Theres Nothing Wrong with keeping these two shooting disaplines Seperated and clearly defined . They Are NOT THE SAME . My hope is that this will one day be embraced here as it should be . This includes how our mz's are outfitted with scopes , projectiles , and etc . . Its simply the honorable thing to do and way to be .

My intent is Not to single out anyone with this outlook . I do think however this is indeed something that Must also be realized and embraced by all .

Last edited:
I think much of the different opinions about "to click or not to click" comes from the differences of target shooters and ethical hunting practices concerning "Distances Shot" and What we are shooting at .

Targets , paper or whatever , it doesnt Matter the distance . Period . Its fun to stretch things out testing the rifle AND ourselves !!! Dial away if you want !!! The only pain felt is our shoulders and possibly a little pride . No harm no foul . Thats why we do it to get better at techniques and learn our weapons .

Hunting is a Whole New ball game !!! Many of the techniques practiced on targets are still quite revelant and very usefull shooting living creatures . HOWEVER stretching those distances beyond to where you MUST start whirling knobs around just doesnt fit in a ethical hunting shot description , at least for some . I simply wont risk wounding a precious creature with an ego shot . I WONT do it . Especially with a muzzleloader . Ya got one shot with alot of time presant before another is available to "get it right" . Not Cool at All . With sml's much of the power factor of that shot is enhanced largely by velocity . Very cool and distances can be extended ethically , to a point , because of bc and velocity . Conditional weather considered as well at the time . Beyond an easily compensated amount of drop and time of flight factors Please DONT pull the trigger . Get closer , wait for them to get closer , or try again another day .....please . These natural resources have a Majestic Right to our Best judgement in being harvested for OUR benefit . All of us have a Mom , and i see a doe with respect as well .
The very reason i seek magnum style power is for the game animals ultimate benefit in the hope of a quick and painless overwhelming harvest of that animal . Too much gun is just about right to do just that imo and at ranges close enough that the added power is extremely efficent by that well placed shot .
Theres Nothing Wrong with keeping these two shooting disaplines Seperated and clearly defined . They Are NOT THE SAME . My hope is that this will one day be embraced here as it should be . This includes how our mz's are outfitted with scopes , projectiles , and etc . . Its simply the honorable thing to do and way to be .

My intent is Not to single out anyone with this outlook . I do think however this is indeed something that Must also be realized and embraced by all .

Amen, brother!!!

There are too many online videos of people, I refuse to call them hunters, killing animals at extreme long distances.

In my mind I lable these ego videos, as IMO, they only serve to shout out to the shooting world......
"Look at my accomplishments."
"See how far I can kill an animal with my (fill in the blank) newest, greatest, magnum caliber, fantastic BC bullet, celebrity gunsmith, SOOPER DOOPER RIFLE".

And the same thing can be found at a lot of the testimonial pages for the builders of both cartridge rifles, BH209 capable m-l's, & smokeless m-l's.

Our hunting society has seemed, in recent years, to degenerate into a contest over which shooter can kill an animal at the longest possible distance.

And, the more people that GET AWAY WITH DOING IT, the more ordinary, average, marksman are going to think that they should be able to do it as well; if only they can save up for the SOOPER DOOPER rifle.

Because, after all, the SOOPER DOOPER rifle is going to make up for ALL of their inadequacies as a marksman, and allow them to shoot that trophy (fill in the blank) at 750 yards. Thus, eliminating the need to hunt, stalk, and work hard for the kill. Like our ancestors had to do.

Edit: I think what Sideshow & I are trying to say in 2 differing ways is that there seems to be a HUGE disconnect between hunting and killing.

ALL hunting IS killing.

ALL killing IS NOT hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys i LOVE my range time !!! Extended range or not . Please , please dont misunderstand this !!! Its quite a rush to lob them right in there from Far Away !!! And i do , do just that Far More than you may get the impression of !!! Many times VERY informally with 3D targets set up as i walk around a farm i have the Privaledge to do so on . Its Very Cool to be able to practice like this off hand if i choose !!! I pretend im hunting at various unknown distaces and its a BLAST !!! Other times i have a lane to shoot down thats quite a poke till the end of it . Theres always conventional ranges available too that i use Alot all summer or anytime i feel the NEED to Burn Powder !!! In Northern Michigan i have areas where i can shoot GREAT Distances too and i Love that as well . I dont have an 8 x 40 x 56 Scope for Nothing !!! All kinds of bells and whistles on that bad boy !!!
This other post just needed to be said . Ive got Nothing against shooting distance at all in fact i do Alot of it when i can or the mood strikes me . ALL DAY LONG !!! Its a great thread so dont let it end too soon ok ??? This stuff is FUN !!! As in Target Fun , and theres Everything Right with THAT !!!

Last edited:
I haven't done any long-distance shooting for the past 15 years mostly 300 yards and in,,shot a couple of my muzzleloaders between four and five hundred yards for a month or two, just now trying to stretch out further, been living in a place in the country where I can do a lot of shooting similar to what you're describing, I have Target rifles and hunting rifles like I'm sure most people on here do, I really enjoyed shooting them both, I'm even looking at open sights,peeps and globes,I need to hurry because my eyes are 60 years old, I guess all of us have the perfect scope in mind, I have to agree with Bruce's comments on shooting animals at those distances, I want to do everything I can to close that distance on foot, I've also learned just to it to appreciate the relevance of letting an animal walk away , I don't like to take a risky shot even if it's 40 yards from me,, I'd rather not shoot at that trophy Buck than shoot him in the butt or the gut.I think a whole lot of this is just growing up I know all of us as young men did stupid things egotistical things, by the way is it deer season yet?

First...………. we need to get these posts back on the topic. This entire post has never been about ethics.

Opinions will differ greatly as SMOKELESS long range target shooting, the subject here. One's ethical range and that of another may differ greatly. Leave it at that.

The majority of your post above (#52) prior to editing, would be better utilized as a stand alone post in another forum.

This whole subject is smokeless and targets. The "clicking" method was dropped in and IMO should have been left at that. Using the substensions may be fine in perfect conditions, but rarely in target shooting are conditions perfect. A scope level should be utilized even perfect conditions with absolutely zero wind. Speaking of wind and staying on the subject of shooting at a target at 950yds, utilizing an 8mph wind from 10 to 4 and as identified in the chart, you're talking 42" of just wind drift, not counting spin drift, at almost 4.5moa

Latest posts

Back