Plastic Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtns2Hunt

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but have a question about plastic sabots and their quality. I have read that there are only a few manufacturers of sabots and that some of the sabots bought with bullets such as shockwave and Hornedy SST's are of inferior quality or do not fit due to differnt manufactures bore dimensions. Many articals recommend buying after market sabots to obtain the best and improved sabots for the best accuracy. I intend to buy some after market sabots from Harvester as Harvester appears to be the most highly recommeded.

Currently, I shoot a TC Pro Hunter Encore in 50 cal with a Leopold BDC Ultimate slam scope. My grouping is six inches at 300 yards with 200 grain shock waves and the blue sabot with 110 grains by volume of Bk-209. My grouping at 100 yards is 1 inch - 200 at 1.5. This accuracy may be acceptable for some but I like to push the envelope as much as possible and love shooting this rifle and enjoy shooting ground hogs with it.

Any feedback i.e. experience or information would be greatly appreaciated especally from individuals that have already explored this aspect of muzzel loading. Thanks!!

One of the articals I have been reading is: http://www.chuckhawks.com/crushed_rib_s ... ullets.htm

Those groups are pretty darn good, 1 inch at 100 and 1.5 at 200 is nothing to sneeze at. It is not easy to do better and many have tried, at least not better on a consistent, regular basis.
I prefer the Harvesters first with the MMPs not far off.
Back to your groups, that is well above what is needed for deer so you are well on your way.

Thanks for the feed back on the Harvesters and MMPs. Can you tell me what your average grouping is with these two sabots? My concern is that the manufacturer will change or switch the current sabots being sold with the 200 grain shockwaves. I would like a back up system where I can switch sabots should I have too.

I also have a question about sabots loosing their petals. When recovering sabots that have been fired I am finding that they have lost one or two of the petals that expand outward when fired. Does this happen before the the bullet leaves the sabot or after. I am thinking that if the sabot is loosing petals before the bullet separates it could affect accuracy to a degree.

I appreaciate any feedback given.

Re : Plastic Sabots

It appears that the guys shooting smokeless powder muzzel loaders have done alot of experimentation with Harvester, MMP and manufacturer supplied sabots. Some of their groups are very good and some show great potential for improvement. I think I have found the information I need to improve my current groupings and develop several different special purpose loads.

Now it's time to burn powder!

Latest posts

Back