Powder coating bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here ever powder coated their lead bullets? I know it can be done. I have a small powder coater and dedicated oven. I'm thinking about being able to push lead conicals faster and still avoiding barrel leading. Plus they would have the cool factor which ought to be worth something. Being out of work for 4 weeks now I'm desperately trying to stay busy.

Anyone here ever powder coated their lead bullets? I know it can be done. I have a small powder coater and dedicated oven. I'm thinking about being able to push lead conicals faster and still avoiding barrel leading. Plus they would have the cool factor which ought to be worth something. Being out of work for 4 weeks now I'm desperately trying to stay busy.
I considered this too muzzy . I think its a great idea actually . Wish i had a powder coating equipment !!! I discovered that BLL lube even with bullets run tight as fast as i could push them worked really well in the White .
The 700ml is apart now so when that 40 sml gets fired up we'll see if it still holds true or not that BLL works at high velocity of over 2500fps !!!! If not i Definately will be trying a powder coated bullet !!! Things will be getting "Very Interesting" in the future !!!!!!
Stuck in a box is Never Healthy........they put Dead People in them !!!
Ordered a stock and trigger yesterday . West Texas Ordnance Switch Lug with 4 barrels should prove interesting too . And it Wont be heavy either . Gettin Serious muzzy , real Serious...the pencil is Sharp !!!
I just hope the Home Improvement Project doesnt mess up progress as my hands are doing it all .

Last edited:
I considered this too muzzy . I think its a great idea actually . Wish i had a powder coating equipment !!! I discovered that BLL lube even with bullets run tight as fast as i could push them worked really well in the White .
The 700ml is apart now so when that 40 sml gets fired up we'll see if it still holds true or not that BLL works at high velocity of over 2500fps !!!! If not i Definately will be trying a powder coated bullet !!! Things will be getting "Very Interesting" in the future !!!!!! Stuck in a box is Never Healthy........they put Dead People in them !!!
Ordered a stock and trigger yesterday . West Texas Ordnance Switch Lug with 4 barrels should prove interesting too . And it Wont be heavy either . Gettin Serious muzzy , real Serious...the pencil is Sharp !!!
I just hope the Home Improvement Project doesnt mess up progress as my hands are doing it all .
Harbor freight sells a real inexpensive powder coater that works pretty well. Just gotta provide a dedicated oven. I started with a big toaster oven i found free on craigslist. I got it to powder coat some parts for my motorcycle so I didn't need it too big. Now I have a full size electric oven in the garage, again found it on craigslist. Took off all the stove top burners and controls so its just an oven. I have my bullet casting setup on top of it.
With a little practice you can control how thick or thin the coat is. Not to the thousandth but I can just dust a part and then bake it anywhere from 250f degrees on up (depends on the powder). Im going to try this pretty soon. The wife is now working from home so I need to have somewhere else to be so we don't get sick OF each other.
Keep me/us informed on the 700 build. :lewis:

Harbor freight sells a real inexpensive powder coater that works pretty well. Just gotta provide a dedicated oven. I started with a big toaster oven i found free on craigslist. I got it to powder coat some parts for my motorcycle so I didn't need it too big. Now I have a full size electric oven in the garage, again found it on craigslist. Took off all the stove top burners and controls so its just an oven. I have my bullet casting setup on top of it.
With a little practice you can control how thick or thin the coat is. Not to the thousandth but I can just dust a part and then bake it anywhere from 250f degrees on up (depends on the powder). Im going to try this pretty soon. The wife is now working from home so I need to have somewhere else to be so we don't get sick OF each other.
Keep me/us informed on the 700 build. :lewis:
I love your innovation with that oven !!! How Cool !!!
I looked at that powder coat at Harbor Freight and is what i will get eventually . Thanks for the heads up on its application !!! I figured on a toater oven too from goodwill or somewhere .
Believe it or not so far i Wont have that much in this 700 either . Been planning for awhile now . So far so good too . My muzzy in the dark ?? NEVER !!!!!

I still have the toaster oven. its yours if'n you want it.
We'll see ok ?? Right now with this Virus out there i figure better safe than sorry with going out for "have to's" as a priority !!! Been wanting to get together tho for a Long Time !!! It will Definately Happen !!!:lewis:

I considered this too muzzy . I think its a great idea actually . Wish i had a powder coating equipment !!!

I've powder coated thousands of bullets without equipment. It's called the shake&bake method and works great. All you need is a plastic container with a good fitting lid and good powder. I prefer SnapLok tubs and Eastwood powder. Ford light blue is almost certain to coat well in any normal conditions. I just put a small amount of powder in the tub with clean fresh cast bullets, snap on the lid and swirl and shake the bullets for less than a minute. Dump them on some sort of screen over some cardboard and shake off the excess powder. That can be reused. Then you can bake them in a toaster oven to cure. There are many ways to bake them. You can stand them up on non stick material like aluminum foil or parchment paper or simply dump them on a wire basket that will fit in the oven. There are many Youtube videos on this method and Elvis Ammo and Fortune Cookie45LC have some of the best.

I've powder coated thousands of bullets without equipment. It's called the shake&bake method and works great. All you need is a plastic container with a good fitting lid and good powder. I prefer SnapLok tubs and Eastwood powder. Ford light blue is almost certain to coat well in any normal conditions. I just put a small amount of powder in the tub with clean fresh cast bullets, snap on the lid and swirl and shake the bullets for less than a minute. Dump them on some sort of screen over some cardboard and shake off the excess powder. That can be reused. Then you can bake them in a toaster oven to cure. There are many ways to bake them. You can stand them up on non stick material like aluminum foil or parchment paper or simply dump them on a wire basket that will fit in the oven. There are many Youtube videos on this method and Elvis Ammo and Fortune Cookie45LC have some of the best.
Thank you !!!

Hello guys, I'm very new to the site and even newer to powder coating bullets. Been watching videos and finding people local who do it to ask questions. Now with the virus crap going on I'm reluctant to bug my local contacts, anyway one of my local guys was using a product called Hi Tek, he really liked it and basically did the shake and bake method. In the past I did some experimenting with rattle can enamel and ceramic paints, did pretty good. My biggest question today is on the bullet sizers. I want to coat some cast 44 ones and don't own a sizer, there is a .429 and a .430 sizer out there...which one would do me the best in your opinion? thanks

Lee sizers are the least expensive way to get sizing. But sometimes I've had to do a lil polishing to get them to the size i need, (or the size they should be). Leeprecision.com
Thanks Michiganmuzzy, that's the brand I have for some other caliber bullets but it looks to me like there are 2 sizers geared towards the 44 and I'm just not sure which one I need...the .429 or the .430

Thanks Michiganmuzzy, that's the brand I have for some other caliber bullets but it looks to me like there are 2 sizers geared towards the 44 and I'm just not sure which one I need...the .429 or the .430
at their prices i would get both. probably $20-$25 each? I bought a few of .451, .452, .454, and .457 and polish some of them out to the actual sizes i wanted. Not all needed it. I bought them one at a time over a year or two. If I could sell them and buy an adjustable i might go that route but I've never seen an adjustable in .44

at their prices i would get both. probably $20-$25 each? I bought a few of .451, .452, .454, and .457 and polish some of them out to the actual sizes i wanted. Not all needed it. I bought them one at a time over a year or two. If I could sell them and buy an adjustable i might go that route but I've never seen an adjustable in .44
That is a good point, think I will likely go ahead and get both, thank you

I got a Lee .452 die a while back, before & was able to put enough funds together to but Hankins adj die. I'm gonna take that out to .4525 for my Paramount & the Fury .453's that I really like & keep'r handy. Money well spent IMHO

Latest posts

Back