powerbelt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the slightly largest increase in bore size can make all the difference. The PB itself is undersized and since some bores run very tight they make them to fit most rifles. Smaller they are in the bore the longer it takes them to "bump up" (obturate) into the rifling. From what ive read the PB Plats skirt fits tighter. Never tried the newer AeroLites but an even larger HP just does not seem the best choice for a light for caliber soft lead "conical". 250gr is tiny by 50cal even for pistol rounds like 50A&E.

A premium priced bullet should not be so load limited. A Thor copper conical while only 250-300gr at least wont turn into a pancake on impact. Load a 250gr AeroLite and 250gr Thor behind a healthy load of BH209 and see which holds up...My money will be on the Thor.

Guys shooting 45s got it made when it comes to full bore projectiles. The options are endless with a sizing die. Not so much for 50cal and many of them can be quite heavy. Fury has some good options for guys wanting to shoot upper end loads and his pricing is well within PB pricing. You just got to buy 50 at a time.

I think i will just stay with the primers i have and not shoot those bullets. I have a bunch of those primers and the powebelts r the only ones that have done it. and yes the bullet was seated on the powder.
Just probably not a good tight seal. Blackhorn likes good snug loads. Did they load quite easy?

If you're going to shoot Powerbelts. Use the Platinum or Aerolite. They fit tighter.

they didn't loader any easier than some of the other bullets/sabots combos.

they didn't loader any easier than some of the other bullets/sabots combos.

Is this for me?

You said you were shooting the 348gr Powerbelts and having bad ignition with BH 209. I said to try the Aerolite or Platinum because they load tighter than the 348gr you use. You may think the 348gr Powerbelts didn't load any easier than the sabots but the failed ignition says they did.

I can say this with 100% accuracy! there were a few of the bullet/sabots that loaded easier than the powerbelts and they didn't have failed ignition. I dont know everything, sometimes not much at all, thats why i asked the question. but i do know that!

I can say this with 100% accuracy! there were a few of the bullet/sabots that loaded easier than the powerbelts and they didn't have failed ignition. I dont know everything, sometimes not much at all, thats why i asked the question. but i do know that!

So, providing the flame channel and flame hole were clean. What do you think the failure to ignite was on the PB's?

So, providing the flame channel and flame hole were clean. What do you think the failure to ignite was on the PB's?

Again, from my previous post. . .

BH209 is NOT black powder, or is it a derivative of Black Powder. . .It is a Nitro based powder.

Because of this, any kind of Conical that is loose in the barrel may not ignite. A loose conical
in a barrel will not allow the 209 to build up enough pressure to ignite properly. It is the biggest
reason why BH209 needs a TIGHT seal against the barrel. Tight enough to allow the pressure to
build up behind the conical for a proper ignition.

Black powder does not need a tight seal in order to ignite. BP needs very little containment to
ignite and stay ignited.

What is happening with your powerbelts (which powerbelts are wonderful conicals by the way),
is that your powerbelts do not make a tight enough fit to allow the pressure to build up when the
BloackHorn 209 ignites. Your primer is probably pushing your Powerbelt forward a few inches
when you fire, causing a lack of pressure for the 209 to build up. Thus, causing a delay or hang
fire. (And a possibility of not firing at all for some conicals and guns).

Smokeless shooters, some cannot even fire a Powerbelt out of their guns. . .they will only
shoot off a primer and never ignite the smokeless powder charge.

Nitro based powders need a WHALE of a lot more pressure to ignite properly compared to
Black Powder or its substitute.

You have to pick the type of powder for the type of conical you are wanting to use.
Use nitro based powders, you had better have a tight seal, and using a Sabot is mandatory.
use Blackpowder or its substitute (like Pyrodex), then you can use any kind of projectile you want.

You quoted the wrong person. I've been saying the same thing and saying it when BH came out.

Not always the case Dwayne. There are exceptions to every rule, and in probably 99% of cases you are correct.
Not trying to raise any hackles but my Savage loves TC easy glides 250 grain on top of 43 grains 5744 and they load easy. Less than 10lbs pressure I bet to put them down. I’ve never measured it, but they go down easy, very easy.
MOA and under at 100 yards, depending on me, but by far the best combo I’ve tried in that rifle. The Easy Glides are not supposed to shoot at all, out of the Savage but they do.
My Accura, on the other hand, doesn’t like them at all. It prefers the Remington 250 grain bullets on top of 90 gns volume BH209, and they do load TIGHT ( I have to use a palm saver to get them down) and they don’t shoot great, I haven’t found a great shooting load out of that rifle yet, but, so far they’re the best at 1.5 MOA.
Find the right powder, bullet combo and everything goes out the window. That’s what keeps us entertained anyway.
I won’t buy PB’s now because they just plain old cost too much, and I’ve never seen any real accuracy advantage.
Back when they weren’t so proud of them, I shot them out of my TC Renegade, and they did shoot good, paper plate accuracy at 200 yards with a red dot sight on it, and I did kill a couple animals with them, but mostly I shoot heavy lead, and that has accounted for 90% of the deer and elk I have taken.
Our local ACE had the easy glides at around $5 for 15 several years ago and I bought every one they had. You can still get them for about $8 for 15. Never bought a PB since.
I Beagle, your rifling may have been cut with a new button and be a little deeper than normal, and the plastic on the skirt dried out and a little harder, allowing gas to get around the skirt (just guessing) or a thousand other variables, maybe that’s why they load about the same, you’re pushing against the lands, not the grooves. Long story short, if they aren’t working good for you, stick with what is.

I agree sdporter. use what works! I am not using the pb to hunt with. I shot them because I had them. thought I'd ask the question about my experience with them. thought maybe I could learn something and I believe I learned a few things! thanks everybody for the comments.

I agree that powerbelts have to be seated tight on the powder to get a good bang out of them.I lilled my first bear (230 lbs) with a 348 grain power belt bullet.Dropped him DRT .He fell like he had all 4 feet roped and tied.But,to each his own.

Latest posts

Back