Precision Rifle: REVISITED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JIM,

It seems those third pillars are always a bit rough when installed..the HB's are the same way, (wonder if the RB's are the same?)

The outside finish on you gun looks like the HB media blast.......what is it?

dwhunter said:
The outside finish on you gun looks like the HB media blast.......what is it?

Here is what PR is doing...

1).Bead blasted receiver and barrel.
2).The end of the barrel is Recessed, hand lapped, target style crown. 100% square to the muzzle for the ultimate in accuracy.
3).Three 3/4" diameter pillars inserted into the stock for stability purposes.
4).Three step bedding process.
5).Head space breech plug..(added)

They are also drilling out the threaded end of the cocking screw and inserting a hardenbed dowel. Less chance of that screw becoming deformed or worn.

Jim,
Everything looks good :huh?: .... except color of the scope is off now. 8)
I think you should get rid of that glass and get a new S&B in matching color for it.
I can even take scope and discard it for you. I'll do it for free for you. :lol:

Anyway gun looks better now. My guess is you'll be shooting pigs through the eye now so head can be mounted. 8)

Thanks Nug... with a little luck the next critter to fall to mighty "Magic Savage" will be a Maine moose :wink: 8)

That looks GREAT Jimmy! Do all three pillars use the same sized Allen wrench? They look more heavy duty than those used by Savage too...

Your rifle turned out pretty good. I really like the target crown. Can't wait to see you range results.

Very nice Target Crown and Media Blast, it will be a very interesting range report. :yeah:

Did you already have some good worked up loads to compare the upgraded gun with?

What will be the loads that you will be trying at range test. :)

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
What will be the loads that you will be trying at range test. :)

My "go to" deer load of 44 gr. of 5744 and a 250 SST will be a good barometer as will my heavy load of 2015 and a Barnes-X 350 gr.

57.5 gr. of N-120 and a Barnes Original 300 gr.

I think I would be remiss if I didn't give a thorough test of some 260 Dead Centers :wink: 8)

VENISONEATR said:
My "go to" deer load of 44 gr. of 5744 and a 250 SST will be a good barometer as will my heavy load of 2015 and a Barnes-X 350 gr.

57.5 gr. of N-120 and a Barnes Original 300 gr.

I think I would be remiss if I didn't give a thorough test of some 260 Dead Centers :wink: 8)

Hi,

I would like to know, like many others I suppose, what your groupings are now.

Last Friday, I sent my baby to Cecil for some Magic; I hope that it will help my groupings.

...............................................................................Gerald............../

Gerald I must admit I have yet to shoot my new "Magic" Savage since it has been re-worked..... I am ashamed of this fact but nevertheless it is so. I promise to post a detailed report as soon as I do. Please bear with me as the striped bass are biting 8)

I finally got to the range today as temps were below 65 Deg. F. THANK GOD!!!
I'm not ecstatic with my results but I am not completely disappointed either.
Cecil graciously headspaced a breech plug for me free of charge and I found primer extraction more difficult with his modified plug than my old one.
I tested a few loads some that were tried before and others that were new. This is my first range session since my "Magic" Savage has returned from being customized. I expect things to improve with more trigger time and cooler temps.
Here are my preliminary tests for accuracy;

DSC02318Small.jpg

DSC02321Small.jpg

DSC02325Small.jpg

DSC02329Small.jpg

DSC02322Small.jpg

DSC02320Small.jpg

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DSC02319Small.jpg

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hey Jimmy!

On your 42gr N-110/250gr SST target....there are 3 holes then there are 3 other holes elsewhere.. Are all those shooting at the same aiming point and all are the same load?

big6x6 said:
Hey Jimmy!

On your 42gr N-110/250gr SST target....there are 3 holes then there are 3 other holes elsewhere.. Are all those shooting at the same aiming point and all are the same load?

Yes but please don't tell anyone. I thought of zooming in the camera but seeing that I have this halo above my head I just couldn't do it :cry:

Latest posts

Back