Precision Rifle: REVISITED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that today with my .458 Barnes-X 350 gr. load and what was once a 1' -1.5" shooter was like 4" today.
I gotta get some Harvester sabots. Next range session I'm also going to test 44 gr. of 5744 and a 250 SST.
Here's what it looked like last year pre-"Magic"
DSC01585.jpg

Have you tried gently rubbing your "Magic" 10ML-II to see if your "old" 10ML-II will re-appear? :lol:

So far...doesn't look so good, does it?

big6x6 said:
Have you tried gently rubbing your "Magic" 10ML-II to see if your "old" 10ML-II will re-appear? :lol:

So far...doesn't look so good, does it?

No, but I've ordered a "Magic" wand. I'd tell you more but I think I have to go throw up some more... :puke: :puke:

Jim, did you have that gun out of the stock? From the size and configuration of your groups it appears as if the torque on the screws is not right. I have noticed with most of these rifles that they are quite picky about how the gun is torqued into the stock. All but one rifle I have set up to date have been a problem in this area. That is 5 out of 6.
Or another possibility is that you have blown your scope. I know you shoot some pretty hefty loads, and it is a possibility. I have blown a couple on the Savage with stout loads over the last couple years, so I would not rule that out until you have actually verified the scope.
Just a couple ideas.

Rifleman said:
Jim, did you have that gun out of the stock? From the size and configuration of your groups it appears as if the torque on the screws is not right. I have noticed with most of these rifles that they are quite picky about how the gun is torqued into the stock.
Or another possibility is that you have blown your scope.
Thanks Dwight I am going to call PR today. I did take the barreled action out of the stock when I received the rifle back. I torqued the pillar bedded action screws to 25 in/lbs.
I did NOT suspect a blown scope and that is a good point, and a very REAL possibility. Thanks!!!

VENISONEATR said:
I did that today with my .458 Barnes-X 350 gr. load and what was once a 1' -1.5" shooter was like 4" today.
I gotta get some Harvester sabots. Next range session I'm also going to test 44 gr. of 5744 and a 250 SST.
Here's what it looked like last year pre-"Magic"
DSC01585.jpg

I have been following this thread wondering just what you stated about the "magic" dissappearing.

The biggest reason I have been watching closely is that I own the 1st Savage that was bedded by PR when it was being test shot with the 260 DC's (nearly 3 years ago now).

When I got it I was dissappointed in the accuracy. I never did find out why, or what caused it but I ended up with a dremel to the bedding and re-skimming it. No extra pillars or any other work that I know of.

My ramrod when installed in the gun was really hard to get in and out, it was in a bind against the bedding (do not know what effect this had).

After work with the dremel and re skimming the bedding job the gun has been a sub moa shooter ever since, must of have been a little twist or bind.

LOL HTH

Savage Shooter said:
I have been following this thread wondering just what you stated about the "magic" dissappearing.

When I got it I was dissappointed in the accuracy. I never did find out why, or what caused it but I ended up with a dremel to the bedding and re-skimming it. No extra pillars or any other work that I know of.
Savage Shooter that was merely an attempt by myself to add a little levity to my situation. PR is labeling this custom work on the ML-II as putting "Magic" into the gun. http://www.prbullet.com/magic.htm
Which is more than likely some industry dig intended for.... Well maybe I should just leave that one alone. Be that as it may, my testing is still very preliminary and loads that have shot well for me in the past are not right now. Granted the dynamics of the gun have changed considerably and it may be that I need to find new loads. What ever the case I intend to find out.... at least to the best of MY ability.

Granted the dynamics of the gun have changed considerably and it may be that I need to find new loads.

PRECISELY!

If it were MY gun...I'd probably go to the basics FIRST...then work on a more exotic load as time permits. I'd FIRST want to try those loads that are tried and true, ie 42gr N-110 250gr SST(your 5744/250gr bullet, another good candidate) and/or 40-44gr SR-4759 and a 300gr SST. Start with a CLEAN breechplug and a new 0.030-0.031 ventliner. Develop a BASELINE load and then move from there. Just some thoughs from 'Bama.

big6x6 said:
If it were MY gun...I'd probably go to the basics FIRST...then work on a more exotic load as time permits.

Thats a good point Chuck. His load last year was to big for Jurassic Park. :shock: :)

big6x6 said:
(your 5744/250gr bullet, another good candidate) and/or 40-44gr SR-4759 and a 300gr SST.
Thanks Chuck as soon as time permits my next load out of the barrel will be that 5744 load. IMR4198 and SR-4759 are on order.

Jim I am unclear here. Are you sayin the gun shot well before you sent it to PR and now it does not ? Or are you sayin it shot well after you got it back from PR and you have had problems since you took it apart.
Either way I highly doubt PR did anything to ruin it. More then likely it is just a matter of getting the gun torqued in right, or as I mentioned before the scope is blown. Or maybe both!

Rifleman said:
Jim I am unclear here. Are you sayin the gun shot well before you sent it to PR and now it does not ?
Yes
Rifleman said:
Or are you sayin it shot well after you got it back from PR and you have had problems since you took it apart.
No
Rifleman said:
Either way I highly doubt PR did anything to ruin it.
I agree

Rifleman said:
More then likely it is just a matter of getting the gun torqued in right, or as I mentioned before the scope is blown. Or maybe both!
I'm going to do my best to find out.

Jimmy, I hate to say it......I think your gun is shot....pun intended.

I don't think its the scope, I think its the work PR did to your gun.

I feel for you man, that really sucks.

FrontStuffer1 said:

All I know is that I wouldn't send anything to Epps.

Dwhunter hello, FrontStuffer1 hello and welcome to the forum. Gentlemen, time will soon tell on this project as too value of Jimmy?s decision so for the moment let?s keep it civil. Only Jimmy can make the determination on how the gun will eventually perform and how PR Bullets will address it.

This is a "glass half full" Forum and I would like to keep it that way. As a member and contributor of this forum, I too am interested in this project and its outcome one way of the other.

However, as its Moderator, I?m tasked with this responsibility and ask that you respect my wishes. If you have, specific issues to address, with a particular company, about their products or business practices, then start a thread so we can address them individually.

All constructive information welcome!

IndianaHunter

Hi Jim,

I have owned 2 10 ML-IIs in the past. I ALWAYS stayed with AA-5744 powder & never xperienced any problems with it.

I did try the SR 4759 ONLY ONCE and xperienced sprayin all over the place. One lot was fine but next lot was terrible & wouldnt group. It was scary to say the least. I know some swear by it but I sweared at it! :lol:

Mabe it was an individual Loggy Gun type of thing but no way in hell would I trust may hard hunting efforts to such an irradic performer.

Also, as been said. Breech plug & ventliner change may get things back on track for you.

Maybe you covered in this Thread but i dont remember reading...but did you find any of the sabots when you were testing?????

Very best of luck.

Hi Jim,

I got the same job on my 10ml-II (except the breechplug job). and groups are much better: ( at 100 meters )

10mlII-Beaded-1.jpg

For me, that is quite an improvement.

I took the whole job, but the breechplug.

..............................................................................Gerald......../

FrontStuffer1 said:

John thanks for "feeling" for me. What leads you to believe it was the work PR has done? In what area of modification do you think is contributing to this accuracy degradation. I'm curious to know your thoughts.
Have you bought a smokeless muzzleloader yet?
Thanks...

Back