Precision Rifle: REVISITED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...something to consider.... That's 31 shots in your shooting session. I'm betting with a little longer time between shots you might eliminate those fliers of the 42gr N-110/250gr SST load. Just a WAG.

Halo? I've always thought that was HORNS! :lol:

big6x6 said:
Halo? I've always thought that was HORNS! :lol:

It's a very clever disguise. I am convinced that the only way to allow proper cooling time is to purchase another smokeless muzzleloader..... or two. :lol: 8)

42gr of N110 showed some promise. Looks like ya need to spend more time with your 10/22 between shots! 8)

I was thinking the same thing Tom. That 260 was most likely a molten mess by the time it hit the target.

I am guessing 36-38gr of N110 would be the sweet spot. 2100FPS would be the upper limit.

Grouse said:
42grns of N-110 is way to fast for a 260DC.

I thought so too, but I had it measured out and in the vial so I figured I'd give it a try. I'll try again with the lighter charge of N-110. Regardless I just ain't comfortable shooting them little bullets. 8)
Next range session I'll be back with my T-Rex load.... :shock:

Jimmy...I've tried that 260gr Dead Center with 5744 and N-110 with varying powder charges and in 3 or 4 different 10ML-IIs. I've never gotten consistancy CLOSE to what I get with a 250gr SST. I wouldn't even bother trying it again unless you are just bored....

big6x6 said:
Jimmy...I've tried that 260gr Dead Center with 5744 and N-110 with varying powder charges and in 3 or 4 different 10ML-IIs. I've never gotten consistancy CLOSE to what I get with a 250gr SST. I wouldn't even bother trying it again unless you are just bored....

Good to know, I will scratch those off my list!

For a while I was addicted to purchasing bullets. It was very difficult to kick the habit. I'd wake up in the morning feeling sick until I could order some and for a while I bought alot of Dead Centers and SSB's. I even got caught up with the hard stuff... Yup! Jacketed bullets. Now I'm on the bullet purchase maintenance plan. I only buy as much as I need when I need them. It hasn't been easy and I don't think I'll ever be fully recovered.... I have to accept myself for what I am... a bullet junky :cry:

HAHA! :lol:

But don't you feel better now that it's all out in the open?

big6x6 said:
HAHA! :lol:

But don't you feel better now that it's all out in the open?

It's like the weight of the world has been lifted off of my shoulders. I can only hope that others will come forward. Thanks for letting me share.

since you've come out of the closet Jimmy :lol: :lol: I have an idea that may bring your bullets closer thogether on those targets.

Try 40gr. of N-110 and a 250 sst in a short mmp sabot

Also you may want to try 58 gr. of N-120 and a 300gr. SW with the supplied sabot.

These are'nt your normal Knock your shoulder of load like your 350 X bullet, But slowing it down may you out.

Of course you already know all of this , but I'm bored :bored: and have nothing else to do with my time tonight.

JD said:
Also you may want to try 58 gr. of N-120 and a 300gr. SW with the supplied sabot.

Thanks Jon it did show some promise in the past.
DSC01874Small.jpg

I'm liking the N-120 and Barnes Original load for this years go to load.

I just broke down the gun for cleaning. Vent liner allowed .035" drill bit to pass right through :d'oh!:

Best load of the day.
58 Grains of N-120
Barnes 290 TMZ
Federal Primer
n12058gr290TMZSmall.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if my "Magic" Savage made my accuracy disappear??????
Although I have only tried 2 types of 300 Grain bullets, I'm starting to get a little nervous. Next go 'round will be with 300 gr. SW. :wall: :puke:

VENISONEATR said:
Best load of the day.
58 Grains of N-120
Barnes 290 TMZ
Federal Primer
n12058gr290TMZSmall.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if my "Magic" Savage made my accuracy disappear??????
Although I have only tried 2 types of 300 Grain bullets, I'm starting to get a little nervous. Next go 'round will be with 300 gr. SW. :wall: :puke:

Pick an accurate bullet from before, and try some different sabots.

Back