Pro Hunter Breech plug-Teflon tape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesheba

Reaction score
I would like to try this.How many wraps and has this worked out with this type of breech plug?

Hey, I don't know about your plug but, I wrap teflon tape(Yellow or Pink) around plugs on my Whites and H&R Huntsman. Then a light coating of Slick 50 One Grease and it seems to work even after a long day at the range. One thing I do is as soon as I finish shooting, I crack the plug loose before I leave the range. Oh, I just use one wrap and overlap it slightly in the direction the plug screws in. Have a Great Day.

I don't know why you would want to tape a Speed Breech... all most all of the fouling is kept inside the barrel. There may be a tiny bit on the threads but not enough to get worried about.

jesheba

Does not your Pro-Hunter have the fancy breech plug in it? If it does the rubber "O ring" should be stopping the blow back... if it is not you might need to replace the ring.

The tape is effective for me and I use it on all of my BP's but they are the standard screw in type.

The color of tape that you might use is detirmined but the thickness of tape you need to get a smooth application. Yellow tape is the thickest, Pink, and White is the thinnest. The other thing about tape - the 'Quality' of the tape is detirmined by the manufacturer...

BreechPlugSealing.jpg

On my Whites, I use SL's method with zero problems.

I use nothing at all on my Triumph with bh209 and have never had a problem - even with 20 shots.

Steve

SteveB said:

I use nothing at all on my Triumph with bh209 and have never had a problem - even with 20 shots.

Steve
Going to switch to BH this spring.You say "no lube required"? Hmmm

jesheba said:
SteveB said:

Steve
Going to switch to BH this spring.You say "no lube required"? Hmmm

I do not use anything on my Disc Elite while using BH 209, never had a problem at all.

plug

Sabotloader, areyou saying because of the O ring on my Pro I should 'not' have to use tape or bp grease? I have just always used grease and for the first time wrapped yellow tape (real thick) on the bp. I did not like the feel of the tape or seat so I am going back to greae. But I don't need it? I think just for lubrication on removal it would be useful?/ Course I'm no metal genius either.

Bucker

Sabotloader, areyou saying because of the O ring on my Pro I should 'not' have to use tape or bp grease? I have just always used grease and for the first time wrapped yellow tape (real thick) on the bp. I did not like the feel of the tape or seat so I am going back to greae. But I don't need it? I think just for lubrication on removal it would be useful?

I am not really qualified to speak to the TC 'speed breech' as I have zero experiance with them, but I thought that was the point of the 'O' ring.

How much blowback are you getting into the threads of the breech? I know TC expects the 'O' to give up somewhere along the line as they sell replacements...

Yellow tape - I have not found a gun that I can use yellow in - it is just to thick. I guess ony because I know no better try some pink tape on the plug, make sure you wrap it as it goes in - when you have the tape applied then turn the BP in your fingers pressing the tape into the threads... The BP should then go in as easily as it would if it were naked.

Here is a pic of my Remington BP as a shooting session @ the farm. Not very often will the BP come out with the tape intact but for me I like it as there is no messy grease to clean - just reach in the bore with a brush and pull out the spent tape.

BoltNippleBP.jpg

I have been using the TC Triumph ever since they came on the shelf here.
There have been no problems with blowback It still has the same breach plug and O ring that it had 19 cans of powder back when I bought it 7 of those cans were BH209.
A suggestion: a light coat of synthetic oil when ever you take it out wipe with a rag and apply; when using 777 and 777 primers and when using BH I use a drill to clean the carbon out from the area between where the 209 sits and the flash hole.
Lee

Anymore all I use is Slick50, no tape. I also loosen it while still warm.

I must also say, I'm talking old school full thread plugs

Just tape with my encore , the threads are spotless ever time .and i have NEVER had my breach plug stick , even slightly . Using tape is the #1 muzzle loading tip , IMHO . Its made clean up so much easier !!! :D Thanks to whoever though of this !!

"How much blowback are you getting into the threads of the breech? I know TC expects the 'O' to give up somewhere along the line as they sell replacements... "

Actually...they give you the "o" rings.

A very small amount if you have a coat of synthetic oil or light grease it wipes right off with a rag. I suspect that most of the O ring that are replaced are replaced because someone damaged them trying to take them off. Lee

I am with "Sabotloader" on using the tape on your breech plugs. I tape all of my T/C rifle breech plugs. I also coat the tape with Slick 50 grease.

The process is effortless and certainly takes less time that shipping a barrel back to a manufacturer because of a seized breech plug.

The tape also cost much less than UPS shipping charges.

Chocdog

Are you using tape on the finger removable 90 degree twist bresch plug on the Endeavor Pro hunter and Triumph? I did not know it was possible. Lee

what manufacture of tape are you using as searching by color has not yielded any results? some tapes vary in thickness without regard to color and range from three to ten mils.

Latest posts

Back