Projectiles for modern inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant tell but it appears those sabots are what we call MMP black short. They will be SUPER tight in your Wolf.

Now it's starting to make more sense once I looked at harvesters website.

Quite a few options that are including boat tails. Anyone try a 50 BMG round out of one of these things?

Okay so here's a stupid newbie question with the bore being half an inch and The saboted bullet being say .40 how does this work does the bullet stay seated in the Sabot until it exits the muzzle?

I'm having a hard time understanding how the smaller projectile just doesn't get flung up in there and ruin the rifling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-095757.png
    Screenshot_20200626-095757.png
    119 KB · Views: 9
One of these sabots will be what you want. The Crushrib loads a little easier.
HARVESTER 50cal SABOT for 45c 300gr OR < BULLET 50b - Graf & Sons or at Midsouth 50 Caliber Short Sabots Holds 45 Caliber Up to 300 Grain Bullets 50 Pack
HARVESTER 50cal CRUSH RIB SABOT, 45c BULLET 50b 12c - Graf & Sons or at Midsouth 50 Caliber Crush Rib Black Sabots Holds 45 Caliber Bullets 50 Pack

If you want to shoot cheap bullets for plinking look at Hornady HAP bullets. Ive seen them as low as $15/90 (3 sample packs) but they normally are sold in huge bulk packs. Grafs is out of them atm.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....0-grain-hornady-action-pistol-(hap)-500-count

Are there any options for full bore slugs? If I understand correctly when using a saboted bullet the plastic sabot engages the rifling. Until it exits the muzzle and the bullet separates.

I wonder if there's a lead full-bore alternative. Something like a mini ball that has a Diablo pellet shape.

I mean even the shotgun shell the plastic doesn't go all the way down the rifling out the muzzle. I know you guys do it all the time and I'm a newbie but just doesn't sound like the best thing to do if I don't have to.

What do you think is inside a shotshell?.....HINT a huge plastic wad just like a sabot but unlike a shotgun you cant really rapid fire a ML. At least not anywhere near the same degree so the barrel will never get as hot as it can in a shotgun. That huge wad certainly does go all the way through the bore when fired. So i cant imagine why you would have concerns about a modern sabot.

Sure you can shoot a lead full bore bullet. All it needs is a wad between it and the powder. The wool or veggie fiber wad protects the base of the lead bullet from the burning powder. What you lose shooting lead conicals is velocity and trajectory but they are still great killers. They are sort of cheap to shoot. Partially because you normally use far less powder. You cant shoot soft lead as fast without leading your barrel. You will shoot a lead conical around 1300-1500fps. They weigh much more though than most bullets in sabot. They hit like a freight train. Its like comparing a Corvette to a semi truck in a crash.

Just like sabots though they come in slightly different sizes. Say about .501 to .506+. You need to match them to your bore. NoExcuses sells a sizing pack of 420gr lead conicals. They offer several heavier bullets too.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-sizing-pack/
Once you know the size that fits your bore the best you have more choices such as BullShop Bullets. Dan can size bullets to your specs also.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

What do you think is inside a shotshell?.....HINT a huge plastic wad just like a sabot but unlike a shotgun you cant really rapid fire a ML. At least not anywhere near the same degree so the barrel will never get as hot as it can in a shotgun. That huge wad certainly does go all the way through the bore when fired. So i cant imagine why you would have concerns about a modern sabot.

Sure you can shoot a lead full bore bullet. All it needs is a wad between it and the powder. The wool or veggie fiber wad protects the base of the lead bullet from the burning powder. What you lose shooting lead conicals is velocity and trajectory but they are still great killers. They are sort of cheap to shoot. Partially because you normally use far less powder. You cant shoot soft lead as fast without leading your barrel. You will shoot a lead conical around 1300-1500fps. They weigh much more though than most bullets in sabot. They hit like a freight train. Its like comparing a Corvette to a semi truck in a crash.

Just like sabots though they come in slightly different sizes. Say about .501 to .506+. You need to match them to your bore. NoExcuses sells a sizing pack of 420gr lead conicals. They offer several heavier bullets too.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-sizing-pack/
Once you know the size that fits your bore the best you have more choices such as BullShop Bullets. Dan can size bullets to your specs also.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html
Nice.

I I did see that sizing pack it was pretty sweet and I was only about five bucks. It worth five bucks so long just to know the exact size of my bore.

The shotgun shell stay in the breach the sabot rides that rifling all the way down.

I guess if it's not a big deal it's not a big deal. Interesting though going full bore gives you less pressure loss. Hmm again a whole bunch of stuff to think about.

I really like the idea using the Sabots though to be able to use the smaller calibers. So if the plastic ain't no big deal then so be it.

Thank you my friend I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge you have shared with me.

I shoot nothing but sabots in my only 50cal and i shoot them far faster than you will ever achieve in your wolf. Its a custom built rifle. In my 45s is shoot a larger variety of projectiles simply because it is better suited to that task.

Fury Custom Bullets sells a copper jacketed "conical" for 50cals. They are not cheap but they are no more expensive than the over priced Powerbelts. If you ever see the Powerbelt Platinum 338gr on blowout pricing (end of season at Walmart) you might enjoy them also but at normal pricing they are a ripoff.

I shoot nothing but sabots in my only 50cal and i shoot them far faster than you will ever achieve in your wolf. Its a custom built rifle. In my 45s is shoot a larger variety of projectiles simply because it is better suited to that task.

Fury Custom Bullets sells a copper jacketed "conical" for 50cals. They are not cheap but they are no more expensive than the over priced Powerbelts. If you ever see the Powerbelt Platinum 338gr on blowout pricing (end of season at Walmart) you might enjoy them also but at normal pricing they are a ripoff.

So If I can get a 1 inch group at a hundred yards or so I'll be happy. If I could hit the target at 200 or 250 I'd be ecstatic.

So If I can get a 1 inch group at a hundred yards or so I'll be happy. If I could hit the target at 200 or 250 I'd be ecstatic.

You can! Just Work at it, Make it a Goal and SEE IT THROUGH :lewis:

Well I have a bit of wait. The ranges over here won't open until July 20th.

I am cleaning the crap out of the replacement rifle. I noticed the bore is slightly easier to pull my patches through.

But I still have the same situation I've got most of the board clean again except for three lands. At this point I'm just shaking my head. I'm going to try to find that borescope since it's going to be awhile for me to be able to shoot this thing.

I want you guys to be able to see what I see. So far that's been really hard to do with this phone camera.

if I do see one at a local sporting good store I want to take a good look at the barrel to see if they're all machine like this or if there is possibly a bad production run.

Who the hell knows maybe they're starting include the test barrels that they overcharged loads with. Maybe I'm just nuts. I am new to black powder burners.

Do any of the linkages such as on the trigger have any type of Grease? Do they not put grease on the linkages in a black powder rifle? I mean is it made that way so it's easier to soak the whole thing and warm water or what?

Every other firearm that I've seen has grease on the linkages on the trigger I mean all the moving parts. Not that this gun feels rough. They actually lock together pretty smooth and nice.

No grease. Just a tiny bit of light oil on your trigger. Ive never owned the Wolf model personally. But i believe that there is a finishing procedure that is done to the more expensive line like the accura. Makes the bore much more polished and pretty. You could do a bore polish yourself but you ought to wait and see how it shoots and get her broke in first. If you keep looking for flaws you will always find some. Remember that you bought a entry level gun so it wont be perfect. But I will bet its a great shooter. Some of my favorite cars, motorcycles, girlfriends, weren't the prettiest but they were a blast to take out once you get to know them.

No grease. Just a tiny bit of light oil on your trigger. Ive never owned the Wolf model personally. But i believe that there is a finishing procedure that is done to the more expensive line like the accura. Makes the bore much more polished and pretty. You could do a bore polish yourself but you ought to wait and see how it shoots and get her broke in first. If you keep looking for flaws you will always find some. Remember that you bought a entry level gun so it wont be perfect. But I will bet its a great shooter. Some of my favorite cars, motorcycles, girlfriends, weren't the prettiest but they were a blast to take out once you get to know them.
Right on! yeah I'm thinking about it way too much I'm just need to get out there and start shooting and have fun.

I bought a test size pack of those Thor bullets. So now I'll know exactly what my bore diameter is but why? Because I guess unless you buy Thor bullets nobody else really specifies. .500 or .501 or . 503. Whatever no biggie though 4 bullets for five bucks and change that includes shipping. Ordered from muzzle-loader.com

I really like the Thor bullets a lot. Its good to know what diameter you bore is when shooting bore size bullets. Better fit equals better accuracy.
Damn it I should have got the traditions plinkster 20 of them shipped to my house for $10.60. course that one is a saboted 45. Oh well I will eat one less Happy meal.

Damn it I should have got the traditions plinkster 20 of them shipped to my house for $10.60. course that one is a saboted 45. Oh well I will eat one less Happy meal.
I think the Plinksters are the same bullet and sabot as the TC Cheapshots. Looks identical. They shot great for me in my Accura .50. Thats a good price. I would buy them if i still had a .50.

I think the Plinksters are the same bullet and sabot as the TC Cheapshots. Looks identical. They shot great for me. Thats a good price. I would buy them if i had a .50.
Yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and order a package right now at $0.50 per that's not too bad. I know a saboted 45 would probably cost less but I have to buy a bunch of sabots and bullets to make it cost effective.

even then most of the bullets are out of stock right now and the cheapest I can get it was about $0.30 with a bullet sabot combo.

Back