Question on melonite treatment for older TC omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I have been a lurker on this site for many years, and have appreciated the high quality load and bullet performance data shared with on the forum. Thank you.

I have two TC Omega X7 .50 muzzleloaders, one is stainless and another blued. Both muzzleloaders are used in saltwater marsh environments during deer season hunting out of canoe and kayak. One rifle is setup with a peep and the other with a 3-9 Nikon XR-inline.

The stainless omega has a small amount of rust forming on the trigger group and outside the barrel. It tolerates the marsh, but needs some love.

The blued X7 suffered horribly this year. It was the first year out in the marsh ans salt spray. There are portions near the scope where the bluing is removed due to corrosion... I have not seen any pitting but it's a matter of time.

I was thinking of having the both muzzleloader barrels and drop breachs melonite treated. Anyone here had their muzzleloader melonited? Any company that the forum would suggest to perform the work?

Thanks

I have a SS tc X7 myself, no experience with melonite but my white thunderbolt is black iced. Lee I am sure can answer any questions about how impervious it would be to salt. I have nothing g but good to say about the work he did on mine. I have been pondering if I should do my X7 or not.

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/

Hi Cattledog,

I'm new here, first post actually. Melonite is just a trade name, the process you are referring to is Salt bath nitriding. It is what CVA is calling their Nitride finish, its not a coating, its a molecular change done to the steel which make the outer surface extremely hard. It can be done to SS or carbon but different processes are used. The outer Rockwell is very hard, will actually destroy carbide tools. It is by far the best treatment in my opinion as its not a coating and has different benefits to it, it also adds a few tenths so that may or may not effect your load. I will be ordering my first muzzy soon after SHOT show and if it doesnt have a nitride finish from the factory, it soon will afterwards!

rook

X2 on the black ice coating I don't know about the salt environment, but its a great coating!!

FYI on the nitride barrels..I checked with CVA about possibly getting my Optima V2 pistol treated with the nitride bath, they told me they didn't offer that service. Maybe they will come out with a nitride barrel for the pistols in the near future (would be nice). I did buy a Optima V2 rifle with the nitride barrel, its a sweet looking barrel that should out last me.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information. I have been calling around on the salt bath nitride treatment for the muzzloaders. WMD guns of Florida, Northeast coatings in Maine and H&M metal processing have been very helpful. I called Russell Tactical in California and they were requiring the muzzleloader be shipped through a FFL for gunsmithing work, seemed odd, so I am passing on them. Looks like I will be sending the blued X7 first to WMD guns for salt bath nitriding. I was concerned about the heat treating that may happen during processing, but WMD assured me this was a non-issue on the barrel, breach and trigger. They were concerned about the smaller parts like pins, screws and springs becoming too brittle. They said if there was any concern they would not perform the salt bath nitriding on the part. I will post pictures once the work once done. Lead time is minimum 6 weeks.

I have an Accura MR nitride on order for my wife. Cabela's was running $450 with $5 shipping, outstanding deal. Unfortunately, the Accura's stock is going to be modified to fit her not me. If I didn't like my X7's so much I would buy another Accura MR nitride for me. I am looking forward to shooting the Accura prior to cutting up the stock.

Thanks

Don't blame you for not sending anything to CA..
CVA doesn't use nitride on their breech/frames just the barrels only, but you probably knew that.
Looking forward to the pics!

Also try MMI/Trutec, not sure if it's ok to post links.
There are not many companies in the States that do It due to regulations.
As Toy was saying, the CVA breech isn't Nitrided, I will be sending out a BH breech to have it done, if I were to get the Apex I would have the receiver done as well. SHOT show is only a little over a week away so we'll see soon.

Latest posts

Back